Best full packing service tips

(13 Posts)
ISeeSmallPeople Wed 14-Nov-12 20:13:42

I've seen lots here before, in various moving threads, & can't find them now.

I'm moving my nearly octogenarian parent.

I've never been able to afford full packing service how bloody cheap is it, can't believe I've never done it!

I last packed last a decade ago him, all by myself, -- 4 story detached-- it was a disaster, we nearly never spoke again, & I'm still in need of therapy.

Tell me your best tips.

I know they pack everything, so will empty the bin.
He's staying with me the night of packing
He's packing & bringing a suitcase for as if for a long weekend
Everything not to pack is going in the bath with a big note taped above

OliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 14-Nov-12 20:25:00

Make sure their packers are going to adequately label everything so that you can reverse unpack when you get there.

E.g.
kitchen - tins
kitchen - saucepans

It may be worth going through the house and looking at stuff that is lower priority for unpacking (lesser used stuff e.g. "good" china etc)
V best of luck with it

ISeeSmallPeople Wed 14-Nov-12 20:28:49

Thank you.

financialwizard Thu 15-Nov-12 09:14:28

Pack a small box of tea bags/coffee - kettle, couple of mugs, T-spoons. That kind of thing. Any paperwork you need (ie the removals paperwork).

Might come back with more tips later - am just about to go through it myself (18 sleeps!!)

Rhubarbgarden Thu 15-Nov-12 11:57:14

Point out anything that is valuable or fragile; don't assume it's obvious. I pointed out my antique rocking horse and it was wrapped so thoroughly it would have survived being pushed off a cliff. I didn't mention the large oil paintings in the lounge because I assumed it was obvious they'd need to be carefully wrapped. Mistake. They were put in the lorry with no wrapping whatsoever, propped against a wardrobe. Fortunately they just got a bit grubby but I was shock when I saw them coming out of the lorry at the other end.

Secondly, ask them when they are coming to collect the boxes after the move. We moved two months ago and our garage is still filled to the roof with the empty boxes. I ring every few days and they keep fobbing me off. angry

crochetcircle Thu 15-Nov-12 19:56:55

Go out and leave them to it! We hung around and there was nothing to do! Best money I ever spent.

Need a recommendation for north London?

ISeeSmallPeople Thu 15-Nov-12 20:44:24

Oh we will be MILES away smile

I just want tips for what to do just before they come

financialwizard Fri 16-Nov-12 21:07:17

Pack your overnight bags and that is all I would bother doing.

CMOTDibbler Fri 16-Nov-12 21:18:57

As long as you have everything vital in a bag, I wouldn't worry. We've been packed twice, and it has been very, very smooth. Although the things written on our many, many boxes of books was hilarious grin

They won't pack anything flammable, so make sure they know what to do with anything they won't take and have a mobile contact number in case of queries.

Leave them some nice biscuits/doughnuts, and drinks. The guys really do work like troopers

And Freecyclers nearly bit my hands off for the boxes afterwards

ISeeSmallPeople Sat 17-Nov-12 00:10:34

Thanks. Boxes are ours to keep. Will freecycle.
I'll be out of the way & had planned drinks & snacks for this end of the move, but not the other. They will thank me for you smile
Flammables, check, will move them myself.

Just need to finish the refurb on his new place now.

Rhubarbgarden Sat 17-Nov-12 09:32:42

Yes good point about flammables. I didn't realise this until they refused to pack the lawn mower unless I siphoned out all the petrol. Couldn't do that at such short notice so ended up selling it to our buyers.

SunnyUpNorth Sat 17-Nov-12 20:40:56
crochetcircle Sun 18-Nov-12 20:17:28

Ours wouldn't take paint we had left over in the shed, unless we packed it ourselves. SOmething to do with their insurance if the paint spilled.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now