Mouse Wars

(32 Posts)
oldmammy Wed 14-Nov-12 19:24:33

A year ago we had mice. My son thought the house was haunted as things kept moving. Then one night we saw a dog chew getting dragged down a hole at the side of the fire and decided it wasn't paranormal activity after all. We used plug ins and then when we still had them a snap trap. We caught one about two minutes after setting it, but it didn't kill the poor thing and my husband had to drown it in a bucket of water. I was absolutely traumatised by it. A week ago we thought we saw a mouse in the kitchen. Everything went into plastic bins and up high. The plug ins came out the cupboard again. My son said he saw a mouse. I sat up late at night absolutely still and saw a mouse. Then another. I stopped counting at five and could hear more in the kitchen. I am so stressed I feel as if I'll have a heart attack. Last night i looked down and one was sitting on MY FOOT. Can't use poison and cant face using snap traps after last time. I don't want to kill anything i just want them to leave. I bought more plug ins and have 2 in the kitchen, 2 in the dining room, one thats supposed to make all the wiring vibrate and upset them. Feel like putting a for sale sign up except we can't afford to move. Mums - please help !

YoullScreamAboutItOneDay Mon 19-Nov-12 14:38:28

You have to kill them. It is the only way. Blocking up holes will only work if they aren't already in the house (e.g. living under the floorboards, shudder).

A little vile, but someone I know sprinkled their doorways, floors etc in talcum powder so that the trails showed up where they had come in. Must have been a hell of a cleaning up job though. Some of the professional companies I think use UV lamps, which I think show it up without the mess!

MrsCampbellBlack Mon 19-Nov-12 14:41:11

Those plug-ins really are a waste of money.

Get the pest control out from the council - mine was less than £20 until he'd sorted it all out.

Its horrid having mice so I sympathise greatly.

PseudoBadger Mon 19-Nov-12 16:17:39

Please just call the council pest control.

specialsubject Mon 19-Nov-12 17:12:02

apologies for laughing at the chihuahua story. :-)

have used humane traps in the past, but remember you need to take them at least a mile away. Currently waging war in the attic with poison, there is some blue stuff which purports to kill them in a couple of feeds and they are supposed to die in their burrows rather than keel over and rot where you can find them. The stuff was disappearing at a rate of knots for a couple of weeks but is now undisturbed, and we have also found and blocked some holes and cut back vegetation that was giving a route to the attic. As we are rural-ish I always have cereal in plastic tubs and bread in a metal bin anyway.

Wilkinsons were doing a tub of the stuff for about £2.50 but now seem to have stopped, try a local 'everything' shop. I got some stuff from Homebase but on reading the instructions found it was 'eco', i.e. mouse food, not poison. Straight back for a refund. You can get traps that you don't need to empty but the cost really mounts up.

the blue stuff is of course POISON so need to be kept well clear of kids and animals that you want.

they don't bite but they are a health hazard, waste food and can cause damage, so you have to be ruthless. Mortgage payers, offspring and invited guests only.

oldmammy Mon 19-Nov-12 23:33:52

Being a health hazard, wasting food and causing damage describes everyone living in our house except me ! But you are right. I need to get into ruthless mode instead of my usual wimp default setting. Can't say I'm looking forward to the electric killing machines coming but that's more because I'm worried that my husband ( who could double for Mr Magoo ) will end up electrocuting himself with one.

trixymalixy Mon 19-Nov-12 23:43:23

We tried loads of different traps/repellents etc. to no avail. I didnt really want to kill any but they were eating through phone cables

What has worked for us is to stick a couple of these behind the kick boards in the kitchens. We haven't seen any sign of mice for ages.

trixymalixy Mon 19-Nov-12 23:45:14

And there was no smell either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now