conservatory heating?

(43 Posts)
whatatwat Wed 14-Nov-12 09:58:38

if you have one, what heating do you have?

Lynned Wed 14-Nov-12 10:03:32

Double radiator. It keeps it warm unless it is really cold, but I think we lose a lot of heat through the roof. We had a quote to upgrade the roof but the quote was 6k!

Kt8791 Wed 14-Nov-12 11:14:48

We also have a double radiator which seems to do the job!

wendybird77 Wed 14-Nov-12 16:08:43

We just put in two column radiators and are planning to upgrade the roof, potentially putting a false ceiling with insulation.

fussychica Wed 14-Nov-12 16:30:14

Double radiator and a convector if it's really cold.

EddieVeddersfoxymop Wed 14-Nov-12 18:04:33

We're in the middle of building one and have spec'd in a column radiator (with equivalent output of a smaller double rad) and plan to use a convector when its really chilly....

CharlotteWasBoth Wed 14-Nov-12 18:16:40

Underfloor heating. Fab.

whatatwat Wed 14-Nov-12 20:20:20

charlotte is it gar or electric?

CharlotteWasBoth Wed 14-Nov-12 20:36:13

Gas. I think electric would be v expensive to run -- ok for a bathroom but too much for a bigger area.

whatatwat Wed 14-Nov-12 20:41:36

right. i wansnt sure which was best

digerd Wed 14-Nov-12 21:05:47

My daughter has underfloor electric heating and 2 convector radiators off her gas in her orangery, which has a small glass roof in the middle and the rest is like a flat roof extension, so not so much heat loss as a conservatory.My
neighbour has very large conservatory and she has gas underfloor heating and marble floors !!!

RumBaaBaa Wed 14-Nov-12 21:15:42

Have a solid roof with veluxes put on it. Otherwise you're paying to heat the outside world in the winter and roasting in a greenhouse in the summer. I hated the conservatory in our old house for exactly this reason. There were only about two months of the year when it was comfortable in there, and it had underfloor heating which was expensive to run and didn't remove the summer issue.

Shaky Wed 14-Nov-12 21:42:47

Our conservatory is almost finished.

We are just waiting for the electrician to come and do the last of the electrics and put the lights up. We also need the skirting boards putting on, they are coming on Friday to finish off.

We have opted for underfloor heating.

At the moment I have washing drying on a clothes horse in there with 2 halogen heaters going, my tumble drier has packed in. It's really warm in there just with the halogen heaters, we haven't got blinds yet either, they will be fitted in 4 weeks time.

Shaky Wed 14-Nov-12 21:45:07

We have a glass roof but we are north facing so it shouldn't get to hot in the summer, hopefully the blinds will help keep the heat in during the winter.

mellowdramatic Wed 14-Nov-12 21:47:56

I don't even bother trying to heat the conservatory in winter I think it's incredibly wasteful.

gemma4d Wed 14-Nov-12 21:57:41

No heating. Conservatory is abandoned in Winter. Too cold. Also abandoned in Summer. Too hot. Fecking thing. Now have plans to replace one wall with brick and the roof with normal roof and rooflight.

GeorginaWorsley Wed 14-Nov-12 22:05:47

Replacing our roof with 'fake' tiles.
Not cheap though.

anothercuppaplease Wed 14-Nov-12 22:11:53

We have a big conservatory (north west facing, never too hot in summer). Decided not to put tiles down as we couldn't afford underfloor heating. I have two of these electric heaters. www.dealec.co.uk/acatalog/BEHA_Standard_Panel_Convector_Heaters_Series_P.html Basically you can program them so that they heat to a specific heat during the day and go 5 degrees lower at night, for us it's 12 during night and 17 during the day, so the conservatory is never completely without heat. It's from BHEA it comes with a european plug so you need an electrician to change the plug. We couldn't afford the initial cost of running the heating / plumbing into the conservatory so electric was a good option and those are quite efficient. Most of the time we only have one on, not the two. We use the room during the day and not in the evening.

anothercuppaplease Wed 14-Nov-12 22:13:40

I meant BEHA. Blame the glass of wine

halfnhalf Wed 14-Nov-12 22:24:24

As others have said upthread, we don't, it's like burning £5 notes

Aethelfleda Wed 14-Nov-12 22:31:51

Ahem. We have a conservatory and it's got a triple glazed roof and the maximum allowable amount of cavity wall (so two high sided walls at the sides and a lower one at the back). It's a lean-to style.

It's actually not legal to have fitted radiators in a conservatory: to pas planning laws they have to have a seperate heating system and be seperated from the rest of the house by permanent doors.

We have an electric heater, but don't use it all the time. Overnight the doors are closed and we let it get c

whatatwat Wed 14-Nov-12 22:34:28

ours will have the wall that attaches to the house, then a wall attaching to next doors extension, then one dwarf wall and one wall thats part dwarf and then 4 panels of glass, 2 of which are the doors.

Aethelfleda Wed 14-Nov-12 22:35:46

Ahem. We have a conservatory and it's got a triple glazed roof and the maximum allowable amount of cavity wall (so two high sided walls at the sides and a lower one at the back). It's a lean-to style.

It's actually not legal to have fitted radiators in a conservatory: to pas planning laws they have to have a seperate heating system and be seperated from the rest of the house by permanent doors.

We have an electric heater, but don't use it all the time. Overnight the doors are closed and we let it get cool. In the morning we turn on the heater for 40 mins to bring the temp up to ambient, and then turn off the heater and open up the doors which join it to the house. It keeps the heat in fairly well, if it's parky outside in the evening we might use the heater a little more. On days when it's crazy cold (as in sub-zero) we might keep it shut up but that's rarely needed: when it snows the snow doesn't melt off the roof if you see what I mean.

whatatwat Wed 14-Nov-12 22:37:48

aethelflda is triple glazing the same as the pilkington stuff?

MooncupGoddess Wed 14-Nov-12 22:39:11

Single radiator. There is no door between it and the rest of the house (the surveyor mentioned in his report that this was against guidelines, but there is nowhere for a door to go because of the way it's built) so without any heating the cold would seep through the rest of the house. Don't have it on very often, though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now