Bifold doors to replace patio doors

(8 Posts)

Hi

We have bought a house and are renovating it before we move in at the end of next month so are pushed for time but have been doing well pushing on with everything that needs doing.

All of the windows need replacing so we have had quotes for UPVc (not my first choice but what we can afford) and a bifold door to replace the previous patio door. Something has been bothering me and I have just realised it is because we are just using the existing whole rather than knocking out the rest of the wall. I don't think we will have time to get the wall down and then the door will obviously be more expensive (which we can't really afford).

What would you do? Will it look odd with a bit of wall either side? Unfortunately the door is completely shot and needs replacing with something, else I would wait until I could afford to do it right. The opening is about 8.5 feet if that helps.

Thanks in advance.

lalalonglegs Tue 13-Nov-12 12:03:20

It depends where the opening is in the wall. If it is at one side of a very wide room, it could look a bit odd (unless you are planning to put specific furniture on the rest of the wall (a large TV or something) but 2600mm is quite a wide opening and on an average-size/shape room, it should look fine. nb: you would probably have to get steels in etc if you did want to make the opening larger which would cost a lot of money, work with what you've got.

Thanks Lala.

No, it's just a regular dining room with patio doors at one end. As you say it's quite a wide expanse ...

We have put bifold (painted aluminium as are stronger) in a gap where an old sliding door was - about the same size. Is fine. I have a bit of a gap either side- which for me is perfect (space for curtains) and to be honest by the time I put up a few shelves it will not really even notice. I didn't think of it tbh - I just wanted to have doors which disappeared more or less totally to one side - not bothered by the fact there are not 5 massive doors and no wall like in the adverts.

digerd Tue 13-Nov-12 20:20:11

My patio doors measure only 6' wide, which is too narrow for new UPVC, so am stuck with my metal framed alluminium ones. But they do have an area of wall on both sides, which can be used to put standing ornaments etc.

Great, thanks, Fish and digerd. We are getting aluminium too (although have not asked if they will be painted, must do that before we order).

Glad to hear that you like yours smile

Nickers1986 Wed 14-Nov-12 11:30:11

Hi, I couldn’t help but see this and help out here. I work for a bi-folding company called Origin, we manufacture bi-fold doors at our factory in High Wycombe. We have customers replacing old/tired sliding patio doors all the time with our bi-fold doors and it's fine to have wall either side of the doors. They are perfect for opening up the space and as you say the doors would all fold & slide to one side to reveal the entire opening. Have you seen any doors at a showroom yet? Good luck with your renovation!

Thanks Nickers. I think I am so used to seeing lovely bifold's across the whole of the back of properties (in magazines) that I think in a patio setting it would look odd.

Good to know others do it ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now