Karndean - worth it?

(14 Posts)
Brighteyes27 Wed 14-Nov-12 22:24:10

We have Karndean in all bar one room downstairs. I love the practicality of it (we have had it down for over two years now). We opted for Auckland oak in the end (which has a slightly worn look to it as we were advised this would be more durable/practical to scratches (which was very sound advice). The only negatives with the Karndean is its not as warm under foot as I was promised and led to believe and we went with the cheapest fitters and our floor wasn't even (although promised as smooth as glass finish the Karndean highlights any unevenness/imperfections in our floor.

sparkle9 Wed 14-Nov-12 20:17:44

Lots of good things about Karndean. Thanks for the replies. Does the price sound about right? It's actually 27 metres squared knight tiles for £2250 including fitting.

WholeLottaRosie Tue 13-Nov-12 16:42:27

In my opinion yes it's worth the extra. I agree with Mercibucket that you don't get that hollow sort of noise when you walk on it, it's a lot more solid than laminate.

suburbandream Tue 13-Nov-12 11:54:47

We have Amtico which is very similar I think. It has worn pretty well and it is easy to repair - the individual tiles can be lifted up and replaced (just as well since DH decided to light the sparklers on the gas ring this Bonfire night and we now have several scorched tiles waiting to be repaired grrr!!)

mercibucket Tue 13-Nov-12 11:52:05

There are a couple of cheaper alternatives that are just as good. We have karndean and I'm pleased with it but it does look a bit battered, in a good way I think, so it's not totally scratch proof etc. It's nice and warm underfoot and you don't get that 'clip clop' laminate noise

mercibucket Tue 13-Nov-12 11:52:05

There are a couple of cheaper alternatives that are just as good. We have karndean and I'm pleased with it but it does look a bit battered, in a good way I think, so it's not totally scratch proof etc. It's nice and warm underfoot and you don't get that 'clip clop' laminate noise

LL12 Tue 13-Nov-12 11:46:32

I also have Polyflor Camaro in my hallway, and like HerbieGilsdad, I recommend it also.

HerbieGilsdad Tue 13-Nov-12 09:15:04

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

CMOTDibbler Tue 13-Nov-12 08:17:45

I've got Kardean all through downstairs - slate effect tiles in the kitchen, macrocapra wood strip elsewhere. Absolutely love it - we have three cats, one dog, patio doors in the dining room, so a lot of mud gets tracked in (we spend a huge amount of time outdoors, so muddy boots, coats, horse stuff comes in as well as small boy running in and out). It cleans up beautifully with a damp mop, and is much, much more resistant to scratches, dents etc than the engineered wood that we had in our previous house.

I think we have kinght tile - certainly the kitchen is

sparkle9 Tue 13-Nov-12 08:11:00

Thank you for the replies. Which level of karndean have you used? I've been priced for the knight tiles which are the basic ones. It would be about £400 to upgrade to the next level.

MissEleanorLavish Tue 13-Nov-12 00:15:24

Love ours too. Have had all sorts thrown over it and always comes up like new. Very few scratches (we have the posh wood effect stuff, laid in strips like floorboards). Would heartily recommend it.

I really love ours - it isn't totally scratchproof as I hoped it would be but looks lovely, isn't cold and I don't really have to worry about it.

heyannie Mon 12-Nov-12 23:50:46

I have had Karnedan in 2 rooms in my house for a year, one being the hallway with a lot of foot traffic. I am really chuffed with it - it looks smart, super easy to keep clean, not as noisy or cold as laminate. I was worried that it would get scratched really easily but it has hardly any blemishes at all from normal wear and tear. The laminate in my house has some feint but quite visible scratches all over it, or tiny chips here and there, however we have only ever bought cheap laminate! I don't know if more expensive laminate would give a fairer comparison with Karndean. But, if I had the money and a blank canvas I wouldn't hesitate to put Karndean through my whole house, I was apprehensive but am really pleased with it. I would do it in a heartbeat if I was moving into a new home.

sparkle9 Mon 12-Nov-12 21:27:30

I'm moving to a new house and I want to have hard flooring downstairs and carpet upstairs. I've been quoted £2400 for Kardean and fitting (approx 22 metres squared) plus £1800 for carpets and fitting.

The quote for normal laminate and some vinyl and carpet was £2800.

So my question is... Is karndean worth the extra compared to regular laminate?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now