Is fitting a water softener a DIY job?

(7 Posts)
PigletJohn Tue 13-Nov-12 15:42:49

it is rather expensive.

if you know a local plumber, as what he wouild charge to install one.

mumat39 Tue 13-Nov-12 14:38:45

Hello again.
Just had someone come and do a survey. Their quote was £1700 inc of vat, for a kinetico.
I had to hide my shock at that price. I asked them about servicing and there isn't any, and their call out charges were £65 for any probs after the first year.

That is so expensive. Or am I just completely out of touch?

PigletJohn Mon 12-Nov-12 13:40:19

I wouldn't have one of them. It will restrict the flow and there will be bits of swarf inside the pipe. You will have to cut the pipe anyway. It will be too heavy to stand on the cupboard floor.

If you try to put the softener under the sink, you won't be able to see the controls or tip a sack of salt through the lid. You can connect the pipes there if you are a contortionist.

You might be able to put it in the kitchen corner if you have a roll-out appliance to give access or you have a section of worktop cut out as a hatch.

mumat39 Mon 12-Nov-12 13:33:21

I remember seeing a while ago, pipes that can be attached to existing pipes with a turny bit that you use to cut into the existing pipes? Would something like that work or would we definitely have to replace a section of pipe completely?

Thanks again.

mumat39 Mon 12-Nov-12 13:31:50

Thanks Piglet John smile

So when fitting it under the kitchen sink, would the water pipes from there be okay? And also would the waste from the sink be okay to connect to? I'm assuming this would be fitted after the u bend. We already have a dishwasher plugged in that way.

Do the prices we've been quoted sound expensive to you?

Thanks again for your help.

PigletJohn Mon 12-Nov-12 13:22:27

it is almost exactly as easy or difficult as fitting a washing machine when there are no plumbing fittings already done. You have to cut the pipes and attach valves.

The chemical resin is I'm pretty sure all the same.

You do need access to a drain or waste pipe, electricity, and of course the incoming main.

Mine is in the garage, which is integral to the house. I have insulated the pipes and put a Tube Heater under the softener, with the thermostat turned very low.

mumat39 Mon 12-Nov-12 12:40:15

I've just called around a couple of local companies following advice from PigletJohn on another thread and the rough prices ranged from 800+vat to 1600+vat.

Both companies said they couldn't say exactly without coming to do a survey.

So I'm wondering how difficult it might be to fit a water softener ourselves.
The mains comes into the garage, but this isn't insulated so nt sure if the colder months and frost could be an issue.

Are all resin based softener a the same? Or is there a type of resin that's the one to go for?

Also, how do we separate drinking water from softened water.

There was another thread earlier this year and the advice on that was it should be possible to get one fitted for less than £1000.

Has anyone ever fitted one? Is it straightforward?

Many thanks in advance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now