Torquay good or bad place to live?

(22 Posts)
Concanconcan6789 Mon 10-Mar-14 03:26:42

Bobboblaw - youre a non travelled idiot. If you actually believe parts of TQY are 'really rough' youve obviously been nowhere in UK, or perhaps the big bad world. Stop living in a bubble of fear. Torquay is no more harmless than, say, Royal Windsor?

DevonCiderPunk Tue 11-Jun-13 05:26:49

Please come & talk about this on the Devon local board, you'll get some great tips!

Don't forget to look at Teignbridge - right between Exeter & South Hams, but much cheaper, and sea views aplenty.

oaurvey Tue 11-Jun-13 02:13:42

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Skiffen Wed 14-Nov-12 22:53:38

Sorry I don't know that area, but that flat is amazing!

peachypips Wed 14-Nov-12 20:39:03

Ok just had a look. It's fairly far out of the centre of Torquay so may be very nice- Chudleigh which is near is a nice place and quite rural. I'd say it was worth looking at defo as I know the Barton road that goes past the turn off to ur flat into Torquay. I'd go and see it!

peachypips Wed 14-Nov-12 20:33:47

That's true- and that flat is LOVELY! Nice windows in living room. Don't know Maidencombe- will do some asking about!

fussychica Wed 14-Nov-12 14:36:54

Exeter sounds great but am not going to get the wow sea view I wanted. Am not an OAP yet but like living in quietish areas. A JL & Waitrose in the vicinity even better.

Just seen this flat in Maidencombe which was the sort of thing I had in mind.

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-36454147.html

Not lived in a flat since Uni so might hate it. Tell me Maidencombe is nice!

peachypips Tue 13-Nov-12 21:28:04

Exeter then I reckon. It's not too pricy and lots going on but not a massive city either. Coast is only 20 mins max and dartmoor etc on your doorstep. A John Lewis now too- wowsers!

Ooops. OAPs

But lots of OSPs in budleigh & sidmouth.

Not Torquay then. East Devon is much nicer IMO. Woodbury, lympstone, sidmouth, budleigh Salterton.

fussychica Tue 13-Nov-12 17:37:45

Mmmm Woodbury looks v nice but not a lot in our price band.

We are oldies considering a downsize after returning to the uk hence the reason we thought Torquay & a a seaview flat might suit us but it looks like it's not the place I remember sad full of OAPs

peachypips Tue 13-Nov-12 17:18:31

In Torquay that is...

peachypips Tue 13-Nov-12 17:16:52

I live in Woodbury and it's gorgeous- particularly if you are a young ish family. Can only think of one nice street tbh...

fussychica Tue 13-Nov-12 14:26:09

Just looked at crime figures - toooo scarey for us! About twice the level of our town. Re think probably required - shame I was pretty taken with the fantastic views from some of the flats - always fancied a spectacular seaview- had fab views in Spain but we were inland so no sea.

What are the nice but expensive areas you mentioned peachy?

I'll look at Exeter thanks peachy & Totally - might be more us.

Agree Exeter is much nicer. Unfortunately we have to live in Torbay area for DH's job.
Exmouth area is pretty good - lympstone, Topsham, Exton all lovely.

peachypips Tue 13-Nov-12 14:13:08

Slightly chavvy in many areas, bit run down in centre, some nice areas that are expensive. Exeter is nicer!

fussychica Tue 13-Nov-12 14:11:32

Loved the video Skiffen - someone said on Youtube she forgot to mention the massive drug problem shock.

We would be thinking of an apartment or place with sea views but NOT actually on the seafront - I'm not that daft! Fancy being by the sea but not sure if this is the sort of place we would like. We love South Hams area of Devon but can't afford it sad and thought some of the Edwardian flats in Torquay looked amazing and good value for money. Obviously, wouldn't even rent without checking out the place properly first but any more info would be helpful, especially best & worst areas. Thanks guys.

Bobloblaw Mon 12-Nov-12 20:06:30

I live nearish to Torquay, it very much depends on where in Torquay, there are lovely areas but also some really rough bits. There are some nice villages around Torquay too. I can try to help if you have any more specific questions.

Skiffen Mon 12-Nov-12 18:11:29

Sorry, not constructive, but funny and with a bit of truth in it.

Bits of Torbay are v good value, lots of character housing stock, big villa type properties, but, like most coastal areas social problems are not unusual. Not to say that there aren't lovely family areas, you just need to be specific and look carefully. Definitely not a move to do from a distance without a lot of visits and good research.

Maybe put something in the Devon MN Local pages?

Skiffen Mon 12-Nov-12 18:02:12
fussychica Mon 12-Nov-12 11:47:20

Thinking about a possible move - like the look of Torquay but have read a few very negative things about it. Anyone live/d there who can share their thoughts & let me know best areas. No kids to consider so schools only relevant from a resale point of view.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now