any tips for finding an architect?

(7 Posts)
Downandoutnumbered Mon 12-Nov-12 07:50:25

We bought our house earlier this year and want to do various things to it, although we can't afford to get everything done at once. We need an architect to talk it all over with, produce drawings and specs for the builder and advise on the best order to do stuff in, but I have no idea how to find one. Does anyone have any advice? TIA.

Yorky Mon 12-Nov-12 10:35:31

Where in the country are you? We found these guys really helpful if you're in the Midlands

betterwhenthesunshines Mon 12-Nov-12 10:41:52

RIBA will give you a list of those local to you.

I would meet at least 3 - ask to see previous jobs and most importantly talk to past clients. Go with your gut reaction. Be clear about what you need and your budget ( expect to add at least 30% !)

We have done 3 projects with architects, The first one we went with alocal company without much research as we were young and naive. Design guy was good, but project manager part was a complete numpty.

Second project, great architect, great builder, great team. Enjoyable start to finish.

Currently renovating holiday house so 200 miles away. Architect sympathetic to the building but we were not high on jhis list of priorities so it has taken aaaages. Then he withdrew so we are doing the work with a builder and a surveyor doing the contract administration. To be honest he's doing a much better job.

You have to pay for an original measured survey, structural drawings etc separaetly anyway so I would think about whether you need an architect. They tend to work on % fee of build costs so it is not necessarily in their interest to keep the costs down!

You can pay an architect just to draw up some rough plans and have an ideas meeting ( most will do an initial meeting for free).

Downandoutnumbered Mon 12-Nov-12 20:51:58

Sorry, I should have mentioned that we're in London. We have a good builder lined up to do the actual work, but he needs some plans to work from. Will look at the RIBA website, thanks.

Can your builder recommend anyone? Or tell you who to avoid?

betterwhenthesunshines Tue 13-Nov-12 18:27:38

Where in London? Anywhere West, try Dominic Warren at Rawspace ( second project above!)

Downandoutnumbered Tue 13-Nov-12 21:02:14

Brilliant, thanks - we are West! I'll give him a call. Plus the builder recommended someone so that's two!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now