Planning Permission for new house granted! What next?

(15 Posts)
ATourchOfInsanity Thu 15-Nov-12 19:14:53

Yes, I have had issues with work on my current house as a single woman alone. Another reason I am happy to pay for a project manager!

Will ask architect about RIBA and PM tonight - he should be here in 5mins!
Thank you all smile

Pendeen Wed 14-Nov-12 08:43:06

Sorry for the duff link ATourchOfInsanity here is one that works: RIBA Plan of Work 2007

The Plan is only a guide to help architects, clients and indeed all members of the design and construction teams understand and agree on who does what and when so any plan could be adopted (always have a plan though). One of the major disadvantages of the current RIBA plan is that it is seen as over-complicated however stages can be omitted or merged for simpler schemes. The great advantage is that it is very familiar to anyone in the design / construction world.

I have my own 'set' of services - basically 3 stages - which I have tailored to suit my (small) practice however if I ever win a commission to design something really 'grand - a Cornish Parliament building for example grin I would probably adopt the new Plan.

Having said all that, I would endorse tricot's comments - best to stay with your current architect if you can.

digerd Tue 13-Nov-12 20:52:49

oops eludes me - spelling !!

digerd Tue 13-Nov-12 20:52:01

You are very brave. As a single woman the builders will assume you know nothing, which you probably don't, and I as a single woman have been ripped off and treated like an idiot. But I have had to learn about things I was capable of learning, but building alludes me.
Make sure there are no trees near where the house will be, as can be a danger to foundations. And will it be near any neighbours foundations. I would go with a registered company with the Federation of Master Builders. That retired friend sounds dodgy and desparate to me.
Good luck

ATourchOfInsanity Tue 13-Nov-12 19:39:26

Am seeing the architect on Thursday evening, so will ask about whether he has someone who can project manage - he only recently started with a firm so when I asked before he said he wasn't sure...

I think it is worth the extra to keep a distance from the builders. I have a couple of local firms in mind to get quotes from. It is a new build 4 bed house on a plot at the bottom of my current garden, so I need to make sure I like them as it is very close proximity to where I live!

tricot39 Tue 13-Nov-12 19:25:02

If you have an architect who has designed the house it is best to stick with them through construction. If they do not offer that part of the service i would be extremely wary get them to suggest someone to help. When you dont have a clue it should save time and money if you.find someone reliable, be it a surveyor, a project manager, an architectural technician or an architect. Just get a reccomendation and take time to work out if you will get along. Do not just get someone out of the yellow pages!

Beanbagz Tue 13-Nov-12 19:07:04

I once used a friend who was a builder and would NEVER AGAIN!

Definately get a project manager if you can afford one as you'll save money in the long term. Make sure you check builders references or ask friends for recommendations and make sure you ask about timescales.

If it's a big project then you might be better off with a company rather than a single builder as they'll have more hands on site and can cover sickness or accidents.

ATourchOfInsanity Tue 13-Nov-12 18:45:50

Couldn't see the first link, but the second looks like it is worth waiting to start building until Spring, so we get the simplified RIBA?

Yes, I need a project manager, certainly. All builders I have had in my current house have taken the p*ss and one decorator took 3 months to paint 2 rooms! I clearly am not firm enough confused You think surveyors are best for this? I was just going to look up local project managers! I really am a bit clueless about this <pees herself a little bit>

beachyhead Tue 13-Nov-12 16:32:53

I would seriously employ a surveyor to project manage this whole thing got you. Ours saved us WAY more than he cost and protected me from killing the builders and protected me from being killed by the neighbours...grin he put together a full and detailed tender which the builders quoted on and therefore committed to, and it meant I could compare the tenders on a like to like basis..

My build was a full restoration from a derelict house, took seven months and cost two arms and a leg, and we came in broadly in budget, as every variation had to be agreed and argued by me.

Pendeen Tue 13-Nov-12 16:27:02

Plan of Work however this is due to change ...

tricot39 Tue 13-Nov-12 15:45:26

There is a lot to learn! Makes sure you take lots of time to understand what you are getting. it is cheaper to change things on paper than once built, so really go through everything with a fine toothed comb. The RIBA plan of work describes the process of how the project will get more detailed and how you gett to the stage of being ready to build. Ask your architect for a copy or summary. Good luck.

ATourchOfInsanity Mon 12-Nov-12 18:33:19

Yes, I can't help but think, if he is annoying me already then it doesn't bode well. He has apparently retired but still has work going on in London, which seems to have freed him up to be more hands on here. His son, my friend's b.f sent me a msg today congratulating me and saying it was all down to his dad who had a brief chat with my architect about the roof problems! I found this v. cheeky as it made no difference whatsoever and his son telling me his little call got us planning permission is actually quite annoying.

I have no idea what is next. Meeting architect on Thurs to go over it. Am aware of the B.regs and now new plans to draw but no specifics. Am a single mum so not much time to look in any depth into these things! Keep trying in the evenings but a bit brain dead and unsure where to look!

tricot39 Sun 11-Nov-12 20:08:56

Hi. I agree with kitty. Pushiness not good. Friend not good. Steer clear. Presumably you have an architect who can advise? You realise, i ppresume, that there is a lot of information required to develop the drawings into something a builder can price, then more again to build from. Then there are building regs applications and engineering info. have you ever heard of the.riba plan of work?

kittycat68 Sun 11-Nov-12 16:33:46

as you mostly fall out with builders i would NEVER use some one whos a friend!! EVER. unless you dont mind losing the friend!! ;) his keenness is not good sign, he sounds desperate for the work; why i wonder, if he was any good he would be booked up for months.

ATourchOfInsanity Sun 11-Nov-12 14:33:44

I have a builder who is a friend's partners dad who is one option but will get 3 quotes at least. He has been quite pushy tbh, turning up unannounced to 'see what is going on' while I waited for the permission. Should I worry about that or is his keenness a good sign?

What Q's should I be asking builders to vet them? I haven't done anything like this before and feel in over my head confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now