Phillipe stark inspired (copied) ghost chairs any experience,

(11 Posts)
sedgieloo Sat 10-Nov-12 10:50:13

I would like a pair of the Louis ghost chairs but the kartell ones are 205 each. Looking online there seem to be loads of copies from £60 I am just wondering if anyone has any of the reproductions and if they are sturdy enough.

Here is an example
www.lakeland-furniture.co.uk/philippe-starck-clear-ghost-chair-louis-armchair.html
I will post also on good housekeeping in case this isn't quite the right board. Thank you.

7to25 Sat 10-Nov-12 11:09:26

I was just thinking about these the other day and decided that the fad had had its day. I you want to buy them at £60 then great but their longevity will not really be an issue, will it? If it is, then avoid.

sedgieloo Sat 10-Nov-12 12:00:32

7to25 I didn't realise they were becoming dated. I want a serviceable wipeable attractive chair with arms to move toddler into when they come out of the high chair. I would like a pair and add with some complementing stacking chairs that I can move to make room for play when the indoor trikes and play strollers come out. And keep the armchair diners out. Would you have any more Stylish ideas?

PolterGoose Sat 10-Nov-12 12:30:33

sedgieloo, if you like them, buy them grin

I bought a 'fake' Eames DSW chair just before they started being everywhere and the quality is extremely good.

7to25 Sat 10-Nov-12 12:47:55

No, I reread my post and it sounds v snotty!
I used to watch an American programme, colorsplash, and the designer had them as a statement piece, the statement being that he was v trendy. I was wondering what he has now.
If you are buying them for toddlers, then go for it!

sedgieloo Sat 10-Nov-12 17:57:48

7to25 oh I didn't think your post was snotty. To be honest it is to plant a toddler on (I just got rid of my reclaimed wood table which had benches for seating because she was just going to topple off) but it is for our living dining area and I would like it to be stylish. Yeah I like them and the eams dsw one but if in a year they are going to ring dated and predictable and dated it is going to annoy me. As it is I realise just recently I have a yawn greige a la Kelly hoppen colour palette home which suddenly looks 'old' and trying to update when I need to change things.

Upshot being any alternatives that are more interesting and edgy is love to consider..

Secondsop Sat 10-Nov-12 20:08:23

I don't have experience of the "copies", but I have a couple of the originals and I understand that Starck was the first maker to perfect the method of injecting polycarbonate into a single mould. That being the case, if others have cottoned onto it and are making it the same way with the same materials, then I'd imagine they'd be pretty much the same. It's not like other furniture where there are joins and other aspects of craftsmanship. Perhaps check the dimensions against the Ghost chair because one possible difference might be the balance / structure of the shape used, which might affect the feel of stability?

As for whether it has passed as a trend, for me they're in "design classic" category. They're really practical especially for a toddler, they work in all sorts of interior styles, and they don't take up "visual" space so avoid the crowding of a room. If you like them, go for it!

lindaworthing Sat 10-Nov-12 20:57:11

I really recommend Interior Addict if you're looking for high quality copies. I have an Eames conference chair from them on its way to me. It doesn't look like they have the clear ghost chairs in stock as most things they sell are made to order but they have some other design classics you might be interested in.

JosieUp Tue 29-Jan-13 12:02:43

I have 2 replica ghost chairs - (blue: www.mdmfurniture.com/philippe-starck-inspired-louis-xv-blue-ghost-chair-armchair.html) and they are brilliant. I've had them for around 3 months now and very sturdy so far! I expect the real deal to be far more substantial but if you don't want to spend a lot I'd certainly recommend.

lakeland Sat 01-Jun-13 22:00:58

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

lillythep Wed 01-Oct-14 11:22:45

I've just bought a couple of Ghost replicas from www.pash-living.co.uk/victoria-ghost-side-chair-inspired-by-philipe-stark-892.html for £89 & I'm really happy with them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now