Winsford??!

(46 Posts)
HRHLadyG Wed 24-Oct-12 14:30:23

Afternoon Mummies! We're considering a potential relocation from Spoth East to North. We're currently looking North West in an around Altrincham but wonder if anyone can tell us what Winsford is like to live/raise family...walk dog?! x

MrsTMD Fri 09-Nov-12 21:40:35

Hello.i relocated from east yorkshire to congleton last yr for husbands job.we love it.schools are good, people are nice and transport links are good...husband travels a lot for work.let me know if u want any more info on congleton or feel free to pm me.

HRHLadyG Sun 18-Nov-12 11:52:44

RCheshire, Thankyou and yes, access to commuting is very important....we've made a couple of visiys recently and like what we see so far...... Anybody with information about schools would be great....

Mandy21 Sun 18-Nov-12 17:19:25

Agree with everything RCheshire says, it really depends what your priorities are.

MrsTMD Thu 22-Nov-12 13:04:34

Is it schools in congleton then that u r looking at...i have loads of info for u if it is because when choosing a school for my daughter we hadnt been in the area long so i did as much research and open days as i could.

ChasingSquirrels Thu 22-Nov-12 15:57:44

I grew up in Winsford, but left just over 20 years ago when I went to Uni. Parents moved nearly 10 years ago to be closer to me when I had kids.

It will have changed a lot in the 20 years since I lived there, there has been an awful lot of house building since then which has lead to the sprawl of the place - for a while I worked in the Community Charge dept of the district council and was more than once given a Winsford address as Chester by people buying on the new estates on that side of town who didn't want to have a Winsford address.

Historically it was a small village (well more than one - Over, Wharton, Darnhall etc) and then in the 60's when they cleared out the slums in first Manchester and then Liverpool they built a number of large council estates to house people moved out from those cities.
Unfortunately that was followed by an economic downturn and loss of jobs on the industrial estates that were also built - which resulted in at least one generation growing up with non-working parents and other relatives, and little expectation of finding work themselves.

My mum taught on one of the estates and my dad was a policeman, so I probably had more exposure to some of the less attractive aspects of the town.

Having said that when growing up (70/80's) I lived in nice enough areas with easy access to open space (Knights Grange - which I think is mostly built on now) within easy walking access, and within the heart of Cheshire and access to all that enabled.

I don't think that with Cheshire to choose from that Winsford is somewhere that I would be drawn to, but then I am currently considering a move to a town that is similar in many ways - because as my children (primary school) get older I think that a town has benefits over a village location.

HRHLadyG Tue 27-Nov-12 20:00:42

MRS TMD, Thankyou so much, we would be very grateful of any information about schools, our little one is currently in Year 2.....

hjtunny Tue 27-Nov-12 20:05:29

as someone who lives not far from Winsford I'd say not, it tends to be known as being Liverpool's overspill but without the intersting architecture etc of Liverpool. The town itself is pretty grey and depressing! Has good and bad areas same as everywhere. As I say I'm fairly local and where I live is pretty grey and depressing too so I'm not being a snob, I like where I live but that's because it's home and I've always lived here but if I was moving from outside the area I wouldn't choose to live here or Winsford.

AlwaysOneMissing Sat 05-Jan-13 09:49:49

Did you make the move HRHLadyG? Where did you decide upon in the end?

HRHLadyG Mon 11-Feb-13 12:44:26

Finally....looking like Congleton as great for Husband to travel out from. Have found a couple of lovely houses.... next step... schools! x

MrsTMD Tue 12-Feb-13 16:41:39

Sorry...have just seen this thread again...meant to msg u with info about congleton schools...will sit down n do it tonight when my 2 have gone to bed.x

HRHLadyG Fri 15-Feb-13 16:33:40

Thankyou soooo much!! Maybe I'll bump into you soon! x

GeorginaWorsley Wed 20-Feb-13 22:13:52

Which school s do you like?
Am vey knowledgable re Congleton grin

HRHLadyG Sun 24-Feb-13 12:13:37

We like the look of Mossley C of E, Maybe Quinta.....What are your experiences? In the process of applying ahead of the move! x

GeorginaWorsley Mon 25-Feb-13 16:13:11

I live close to Mossley but my children attended St Marys as catholic.
Mossley very middle class,quite large school,bit 'cliquey' from what I hear.
Quinta other side of town,not as middle class grin but certainly ok.
would depend whereabouts you want to live,whether you want to be able to walk,as Congleton bit gridlocked in morning.
Also thinking ahead to secondary,Mossley feeds into Eaton Bank,Quinta into Congleton High.
In my opinion,although again my children don't go to either,Congleton High better.

HRHLadyG Mon 25-Feb-13 18:08:20

Thankyou for that....which secondary school do yours go to?

GeorginaWorsley Thu 28-Feb-13 21:11:54

Sorry only just seen this!
They go to All Hallows Catholic College in Macclesfield,got outstanding at OFSTED.
We have had 3 there,2 still go ,1 will go!
Pay for school bus and yes obv adds to school day but very happy with school so worth it.

puffylovett Sun 03-Mar-13 02:50:26

<waves hello> another congletonian here, hope you get settled in quickly smile
Re schools, mine attend Havannah, a friends Buglawton - both have outstanding ofsteds but are very different in my opinion, buglawton more traditional ad academic, havannah very open plan free flow learning.
The town is really friendly and has great access to pretty much everywhere. We've been enjoying the Beartown Unplugged festival this weekend, there's a fair bit to enjoy here and loads of countryside to explore for walks. I really love it, been here 2 years now although OH congy born and bred.

HRHLadyG Mon 04-Mar-13 14:55:57

Hello!! Thankyou for making me feel welcome. Am now mid packing boxes and endless journeys on m40/M6! See you soon! x

MrsTMD Sat 09-Mar-13 20:17:15

My daughter attends mossley and i think it has been brilliant for her.v v happy with the school and the teaching.r u looking forward to the move?x

CheshireMum221 Mon 22-Sep-14 23:43:56

I'm moved to comment after reading this old thread comparing 'up-market' locations with plain and ordinary Cheshire towns particularly Winsford, which is clearly branded as a 'poor relation' in this discussion.
The harsh fact of life is that not everyone can afford to make their homes in Hale Barns, Appleton Thorn, Alderley Edge etc. and for many, good value housing is more important than trendy bars or easy access to Waitrose.
Winsford has suffered the misfortune of bad planning decisions over the past 40 years but the tide is turning and the good residents of the town deserve better than to have it denigrated on internet forums. Winsford is surrounded by beautiful countryside and lovely villages with places to enjoy the outdoors and great food pubs. It's 20 minutes from Chester for shopping, evenings out and well-respected independent schools which are affordable if you choose not to pay high house prices in the expensive areas. Getting the balance right between what really matters and keeping up appearances can be challenging depending on your personal priorities. As for Waitrose, get them to deliver if it's that important!
Winsford is at the very centre of Cheshire and just minutes from the M6. It has the beautiful natural asset of 'The Flashes' (lakes along the course of the River Weaver) to rival Windermere; home to a long established sailing club and a great deal of wildlife. The town is undergoing extensive rejuvenation which began a couple of years ago as the new location for the impressive Cheshire Police Head Quarters and Cheshire West & Chester Council administrative centre. The Marina is being developed and very soon new shops and leisure amenities are to follow. For any other readers looking for advice: if you'd like to invest more modestly in buying a home with good prospects to increase in value over the next few years and you're able to get out and about to enjoy all that Cheshire has to offer, give Winsford a chance. The more forward thinking families with aspirations take the opportunity the more the area will continue to prosper.

morethanpotatoprints Tue 23-Sep-14 00:06:12

I know its a zombie as well.

I came form Winsford and ditto CheshireMum.

Some of what people have said is true, but for some it is home.
I have travelled all over the place and lived in many areas. I have had several homes since leaving 30 years ago.
I still think of it as home, even though my parents and old extended family have gone now, so it must have something.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now