Kitchens

(28 Posts)
HalleLouja Thu 27-Sep-12 22:05:51

Ok we probably are asking too much but want a new kitchen at a good price. We have a quote and the fitting alone was £2.7k (minimum) subject to a site visit it might be nearer (£3.6k).

Does that seem reasonable? Its for a Kitchen Collection kitchen with the units made up already. The total price (excluding appliances) is £10.5k minimum. Its quite a big kitchen but we are having laminate worksurfaces. Price excludes floor, which we are having tiled.

Am looking at Ikea kitchens and trying to understand what the total price will be.

Sorry for all the questions. Am a kitchen newby. We were originally looking at just having it revamped and may still go down this route.

sausagesandwich34 Tue 02-Oct-12 22:32:14

if you pay a company to fit a kitchen then 3k is actually pretty cheap

the reason they charge so much (or part of the reason) is that they use qualified tradesmen for the individual jobs -so a chippy will do cabinets, a tiler will do the tiling etc

they also project manage it so the trades are on site at the right time to get the job done quickly

if you get your own seperate tradesmen then you will have to organise them, if they are good they are going to be busy so the actual time of the job will be dragged out

plus if you have a problem with the plumbing which then affects the worktops (as an example) who is going to sort it out for you?

lots of people swear by ikea but the lack of the service gap means that the inside of the units can be messy, plus the backs of the units don't have full height panels (so you get spiders in your cupboards)

SoozleQ Wed 03-Oct-12 00:16:24

The back of my Ikea units are all full height with the exception of the sink cabinet and fridge/freezer cabinet so that pipes and plug can feed through.

We've fitted the units ourselves but got a fantastic guy in to do our bespoke solid wood worksurfaces. There's a bit of hard work involved in doing them yourself but ultimately it was not too bad. Our kitchen had been replastered and pipes and wiring had been set in behind the plaster so our units could sit flush to the wall with no problems.

I am North Herts - can give you my builder's name if you like - he does "everything" - ie sorts all the trades. Not the cheapest but v good quality. Covers Letchworth/Baldock/Hitchin/Royston/ and Beds/Cambs border villages. PM me if you are interested.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now