what to do with chimmneys you don't use

(35 Posts)
MousyMouse Mon 10-Sep-12 14:27:12

we have a few fire places and chimneys we don't use (victorian terrace).
dh thinks we should just block them up, but I read that can cause condensation problems. I think we should keep them but do something they are part of my zombie plan

we want to minimise the draft and the mess (grey dust falling down from them) but also want to be able to make them usable quickly in case the zombies are on the loose

Pendeen Wed 19-Sep-12 15:56:23

Details as at: Mon 10-Sep-12 16:32:38 and Tue 11-Sep-12 14:11:43

MousyMouse Sat 29-Sep-12 09:59:50

what do I best use for a smoke test? newspapers?

PigletJohn Sat 29-Sep-12 13:07:47

chimneysweeps, gas-fitters and plumbers use a thing called a smoke-bomb. It is like a firework that makes lots of visible smoke but little flame or heat so it is not very likely to cause a fire.

I would hope it has been formulated so the smoke is not harmful. You might be able to get them at a plumbers merchant. There are little smoke pellets that you might find at a DIY shed, they might be too small for a chimney test.

Brycie Sat 29-Sep-12 13:11:56

This is very interesting, our kitchen has a chimney breast which is covered at the top, but ventilated, while at the bottom it's completely boarded, not flat against the wall but horizontally, the whole fireplace is out and we have an alcove. How interesting that this may cause condensation.

(If you still have the fireplaces looking attractive then putting bulk loads of thick candles looks really nice. )

PigletJohn Sat 29-Sep-12 13:12:35

here we are you can mail-order or order for collection from your nearest trade counter. Or phone a local plumbers merchant. Read the instructions several times, carefully.

Brycie Sat 29-Sep-12 13:45:24

You have just reminded me to call the sweep. Thanks. We've already had several fires this autumn and I must get it done SOON.

MousyMouse Sat 29-Sep-12 14:27:16

oh brill, have one really close.
thanks.
dh will be a bit dissapointed that he doesn't get to burn newspapers though

MousyMouse Mon 01-Oct-12 09:53:49

did the smoke test yesterday. pyromaniac dh was very happy with the fire and smoke effects. I was fearing the fire engine noises where headed our way...
all chimneys are drawing just fine.

Brycie Mon 01-Oct-12 20:55:46

smile and I have just got the sweep to come round! and I'm going to ask him about ventilation and the boarded up chimney, thanks to you!

TheFiresideShop Fri 05-Oct-12 16:38:16

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now