Sible/Castle Hedingham, Halstead in Essex?

(18 Posts)
Nix01 Fri 29-Jun-12 11:49:30

Is anyone familiar with the area? I've found a few houses I really like and within our budget (links below) - can anyone offer any guidance on the area?

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-31419148.html?premiumA=true

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-33683122.html

JumpJockey Fri 29-Jun-12 13:01:56

I grew up in a village about 5 miles from Halstead and my dad still lives there so have happy memories of the area! Halstead itself is a reasonable sized small town, they have plenty of shops, swimming pool, a brilliant independent cinema (where I first held hands with a boy in the back row grin) and nice parks to stroll about in.

The Hedinghams are a short drive from Halstead itself, probably about 10 minutes, but both very pretty. Decent enough bus links (once an hour if it's the same as when I lived thereabouts) Castle Hed has, well, a castle, a footy club, a few shops and pubs. And a miniature steam train! Sible is more of a long street style village than a sprawling village, also has a pub and village shops. Don't know what they're like to live in, but probably like most smallish villages - they usually seem to have nice flower displays and look well kept, which would suggest reasonable community spirit.

The area itself is beautiful, think Constable country. Lots of walks, hills, woodland etc. Colchester has a big zoo, museum, market. There's a golf club in Earls Colne. On the whole I loved growing up there, would highly recommend it (but with disclaimer that I have no idea about schools...). Your second house in particular looks great with so much potential. Reminds me why I want to move back there - that money would get me a smallish 3 bed terrace with postage stamp garden where I live now!

Nix01 Fri 29-Jun-12 15:37:00

Thank you JumpJockey, I love house 2 as well...although I'm concerned that it's positioned right on the road. I imagine if a car crashes, it would end up on in our lounge?!

Love the positive input, I can't wait to visit the area when we visit at the end of July.

kittycat68 Sat 30-Jun-12 09:34:34

i live near this area, so can advise on schools etc if you need any help. to be honest the first house is just off quite a bad road, as i know this road quite well. the second is a bit better but would be concerned by the house being so near the road, just up from sible the are several really nice villages with great reputations and would advise you to consisde then rather than sible or castle, is it beacause you need the bus route or walking to schools as all the villages have buses into the schools mostly free.

Nix01 Sun 01-Jul-12 09:14:04

Kittycat, thank you, that's brilliant help.

Excuse my ignorance, but how do you define a bad road? What's one block away? We're currently outside of England, so I need all the help we can get!

Please could you advise which other villages are nearby with great reputations? Please feel free to send me a private message if you'd prefer?

We need to be commutable to a mainline rail link with access to great schools (primary currently).

kittycat68 Sun 01-Jul-12 17:58:05

hi sorry not to have gotten back to you earlier!

The main road Alexandra road has alot of trouble it low income familys mostly!
and i personally wouldnt want to live any where near it! in sible itself you do get alot of teenagers hanging around etc.

I would also avoid great yeldham too, but Little yeldham is lovely! gestingthorpe, southey green, little and great maplestead also very nice. gosfield too. castle hedinghams not too bad has some good and some bad areas.
in this area there are some good schools the school in sible does have a good reputation but is quite large, great yeldham school is in special measures so i would avoid that one! Castle hedingham school also has a good reputation too, personally my children went to that one! gosfield school has an excellent rep too!
I have lived in several of the villages listed above and have friends in the others i also have freinds in sible and castle too!
I personally would never want to live in sible unless its right on the outskirts! the nearest minline stations are going to be in braintree or sudbury each about 20 minutes drive. hope this helps.

Zoelda Sun 01-Jul-12 19:25:43

Have a look in stisted. 2 nice houses for sale ATM in yr price range. Great primary school

Nix01 Mon 02-Jul-12 09:09:04

Thanks, will cross it off the list.

I looked up Stisted, not much available at the moment.

Found this in Little Maplestead which appeals, but why is it so cheap? www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-23370993.html

Zoelda Mon 02-Jul-12 11:49:34

opposite a water tower i think. see streetview. also in the middle of but***k nowhere

kittycat68 Mon 02-Jul-12 17:06:13

do you need to be on a main road or need a bus route or do you want something near shops or do want rural, also whats your minium criteria in order of preference/ have you searched on rightmove and primelocation as primelocation has more independant estate agents.

kittycat68 Mon 02-Jul-12 17:07:44

also can i just check that you are after a four bed, detached up about 350k

Nix01 Mon 02-Jul-12 20:04:40

It has neighbours doesn't it? I thought I saw another house on the streetview?

I think I want a semi rural lifestyle, but I'm not keen on having animals to look after smile I haven't looked on primelocation, I will look it up.

Kittycat, I'd prefer not to be on a main road as we have small children. I don't mind driving/walking to get milk etc, but driving through to a proper shop for a weekly shop is fine.

We do need to be within commuting distance to a mainline station.

topknob Mon 02-Jul-12 20:07:08

I live in Halstead...It is not semi rural really, it is a small town with countryside around it but everything is accessible. Sible Hedingham is about 15 min drive from Halstead and I can't comment as I don't live there ! It seems ok from what I have heard.

topknob Mon 02-Jul-12 20:10:22

Reading the rest of the thread comments, Halstead no longer has a cinema sad it has a lot of hairdressers and a lot of takeaways on the High Street. I can help with schools etc as I have secondary and primary aged kids. I am pretty clued up on the nice areas here, also try Greenstead Green on rightmove, that is lovely.

Sen100 Wed 30-Jan-13 11:54:35

Hi I wonder if any of you can give me any information about living in gestingthorpe, ie schools, is it a nice place to live etc, we like a house their. Thanks in advance

Jamana Fri 10-May-13 11:52:37

Moving to Little Maplestead in July. Any local info I need to know? Particularly schools. Thanks in advance smile

EldonAve Fri 23-Aug-13 18:00:19

Anyone got any comments on Earls Colne? I've seen a lovely house but not sure about the school situation and how difficult it is to park at Kelvedon to get into London for work

shazjendave Thu 06-Mar-14 19:42:54

hi was reading about sible hedinham and was just wondering about oxford meadow as im considering moving there any one got any comments and what kind of primary schools are recomended as this is a big move for me thanks......

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now