Any dishwasher experts around?

(15 Posts)
PelvicFloorOfSteel Tue 26-Jun-12 22:13:12

I have a beko dishwasher, the lights are on and it's making noise but it's not actually washing dishes. The noises start as soon as the door is closed when the main power button is on, usually you have to press the start button before anything happens.

It was the cheapest one in the shop when I bought it, is there likely to be something simple wrong I can fix myself, if it's more complicated is it worth getting repaired or am I better off cutting our losses and getting a new one possibly even a slightly better brand?

oreocrumbs Tue 26-Jun-12 22:40:14

No expert but have you checked that the arms can move, there isn't a handle hanging down or something like that?

Does it have any warning lights you can google?

A swift kick sometimes helps grin.

PelvicFloorOfSteel Tue 26-Jun-12 22:46:02

Checked the very obvious things already and even turned it on and off again <hands self technology awareness medal>

I have found an instructional video on youtube for checking the float - no water is coming in so it might be this, but I have a feeling coming on at the wrong time is a sign it's a bigger problem than just lack of water. It's too late at night to start taking it apart now but I might have a crack at it in the morning.

I'm just not sure if it's all worth it or if I should just get a new one - with a childlock because the little blighters turning it on and off at random moments probably hasn't improved it's lifespan.

fresh Tue 26-Jun-12 22:46:59

Is water getting in to the dishwasher? That's worth checking. But if things have started happening in a different sequence, that does sound like a fault. In which case call a repair service - unless it's under warranty, an independent local person might be better than calling Beko.

fresh Tue 26-Jun-12 22:47:24

Sorry x-posted

PelvicFloorOfSteel Tue 26-Jun-12 22:50:22

I threw away a 'last chance to get an extended warranty' letter a couple of months ago! They must have some sort of remote control device which sends your dishwasher wrong the second that letter reaches a certain level of decomposition. Bastards.

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 27-Jun-12 08:05:35

Mine is a different brand but when mine was making a noise but not washing google told me to empty the dishes and tip the machine back to a 45 degree angle. It fixed it.

I also removed the filter and the second filter (who knew?) to make sure nothing was caught in there eg broken glass.

PelvicFloorOfSteel Thu 28-Jun-12 21:12:39

Fluffy - thank you! thanks thanks thanks

I have no idea why this fixed it but it did! You have just saved me taking my dishwasher apart/ calling out an engineer/ buying a new dishwasher.

thanks grin

PigletJohn Thu 28-Jun-12 22:45:23

tipping it back tends to spill the water, which has collected in an anti-flood tray underneath, onto the floor behind the machine, where you might not notice it. Once the tray is empty, the flood detector thinks there is no leak, because it doersn't detect the water.

Next time, pull it away from the wall first so you can see/hear if water is coming out.

If so there is a leak, possibly on one of the pipes round the pump.

Needasilverlining Sun 08-Feb-15 18:52:04

Bumping this because you have just fixed my dishwasher, you wonderful bloody nest of vipers flowers

Truly all human wisdom can be found on Mumsnet. <nods sagely>

ASAS Mon 16-Mar-15 08:47:29

Any clue as to this one you lovely lot:

Beko dishwasher washing fine, wash light is lit during wash but end light didn't light up at the end last night after 6 years of good service. Seems a bit of an odd fault, the obvious issue being how do I know for sure the wash has ended (except for the wash light going out).

Any help gratefully accepted.

And hello husband if you Google and find this thread.

nicmorris Tue 17-Mar-15 20:18:21

Oh my gosh! Thankyou thankyou thankyou! 24 hours with no dishwasher, and several google searches I was on the verge of tears!
The 45 degree thing has only gone and fixed it!

Well happy thankyou!

DWNB Mon 29-Aug-16 21:42:31

It might not have been posted on for a while, but it just saved me a call out to beko engineer!!!

45 degree tip worked for me too :-)

OrlandaFuriosa Sun 20-Nov-16 19:57:17

Bump

IBelieveInPink Sun 27-Nov-16 18:08:53

This totally just saved us buying a new dishwasher. Thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now