Benchmarx vs Howdens

(14 Posts)
wellhellodolly Wed 13-Jun-12 09:15:59

I am currently lusting after the Glenvedon White Howdens kitchen but my kitchen fitter sent the plans to Benchmarx who have costed up the equivalent kitchen (Perla) at almost £1k cheaper.

We are on a very tight budget and that £1k is very much needed but at the same time if Benchmarx aren't so good I'd rather spend the extra money on a decent kitchen.

From what i've read, they're pretty much the same quality?

nunnie Wed 13-Jun-12 09:32:49

Think they are pretty similar from what I could make out when looking around in terms of quality. Have you asked your fitter to take the Benchmarx quote to Howdens to see if they can get their quote nearer?

Always worth a try, Howdens can come down in price from their original quotes.

SwedishEdith Wed 13-Jun-12 19:03:30

I think some of the Howdens kitchens are identical to B&Q's Cooke & Lewis range. Really, really similar and with similar names. So, maybe consider them and see how they compare as well. I think all similar price ranged kitchens are much of a muchness,tbh. It's the worktops and appliances and pull-out features that make a difference

wellhellodolly Thu 14-Jun-12 10:58:51

Thanks for your replies.

i don't really want a B&Q kitchen as our last one was from there and pretty much fell apart. Going to Howdens today so we'll see.

Yorkpud Thu 14-Jun-12 13:30:46

We used Benchmarx as Howden's quote seemed a lot higher. However, when I was just about to order Howden's brought their quote down £200 lower than Benchmarx if we could take delivery in a week! Of course I had nowhere to store a kitchen so said no.
Becareful with Benchmarx that they include everything you want in the quote as they left quote a lot of stuff off mine which I then needed to buy later which annoyed me (Upstands, end panels (they just put it so carcasses were on show which I didn't want etc.) The builder also wasted tons of time there as they didn't put in some hinges that were meant to be there etc.
I am pleased with the quality of the kitchen though.

SwedishEdith Thu 14-Jun-12 18:56:18

tbf, I think B&Q have 2 different standards of kitchens - no experience of the C&L but look better quality (well, identical to Howdens tbh)

nunnie Thu 14-Jun-12 19:14:10

Haven't been to look at B&Q kitchens so can't comment on quality, the reason for not looking was the bad reviews though.
Also Howdens make their own cabinets so they might be similar but they aren't the same as B&Q, and to be honest after hunting lots of showrooms when deciding my kitchen I found quite alot are similar you have to look closer and have a good fiddle to find the quality differences.

nunnie Thu 14-Jun-12 19:57:04

Sorry that all came out wrong. I in no way am saying Howdens is superior to C&L I have never looked at B&Q kitchens, was just saying that where I have looked the similar price ranges all seem to look similar style and quality.

Ikea is one place I looked at and price wise came out quite a bit below Howdens (slightly less cabinets) but they to me for what style wanted they had a limited range plus I won't buy a kitchen from them due to the poor service provided from their designer we paid for. If you do decide to go to Ikea avoid the design service for £100 at all costs and just do your own on their 3d planner much more superior. Definatly worth a look though because price wise they are cheaper. Go elsewhere for fitting though they quoted us pretty much the price of the kitchen again for fitting.

wellhellodolly Thu 14-Jun-12 21:43:49

We popped into howdens today and the guy there is doing his utmost to get the price down.

Having looked at the cabinets close up they do seem to be good quality. Actually it's bloody gorgeous so I hope the price is right!!

nunnie Fri 15-Jun-12 08:43:43

Will keep everything crossed for you then.

bennymel Tue 17-Dec-13 14:22:45

Hi I know this is very belated but i recently had the same problem , I did however check the spec warranties and guarantees . Benchmarx out did howdens every time even the fitter said how much better the units and doors were as he had never installed a benchmarx kitchen . I even got a free plan design and survey . Benchmarx hands down Im afraid ......

Xmania Thu 30-Jan-14 09:12:56

Hi,
I have been to Benchmarx and pretty convinced that I will go with Benchmarx, but the only problem I have is that their L-shape corner unit is small (925), compared to some other like Wren (972) or online stores (1000 or so).

Has anyone tried a mix and match across different suppliers? I am thinking of getting everything from Benchmarx except for the carcass of the L-shape corner unit.

Wren seem to have a different size carcass thickness from Benchmarx. If anyone has done a mix and match, could you tell me whose carcass I can use that will be the same height and depth as Benchmarx so that it will blend in.

Many thanks

bennymel Sat 22-Feb-14 09:41:10

To be honest your its only just under 5cm difference you can just make it up in another unit further down ......

redshoespurplehat Sat 22-Feb-14 12:49:45

a good test is to take a standard dinner plate with you and make sure it will fit in a wall unit and that the door will close! IME cheaper companies generally fail this test.
also to get a feel for of a company is good or bad write a thread starting ' Bla bla kitchens are rubbish ' and then s the people who have one will either agree or give you all the reasons why they aren't!!! it's a good way to get real info!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now