Nice tiles?

(24 Posts)
bigbadbarry Thu 07-Jun-12 21:59:31

Help! New bathroom. Wing fitted next week, have yet to choose tiles. Suite is white. I need some mosaic tiles to do the walk-in shower both walls and floors (tiler says to avoid natural stone) and something bugger for the rest of the floor. Am not sure where to start....

bigbadbarry Thu 07-Jun-12 22:00:24

Sodding autocorrect. Our bathroom is just a room, being fitted next week. Not an entire wing. And I want larger floor tiles not bugger ones.

SwedishEdith Thu 07-Jun-12 22:02:59

Sorry no help but grin @ the autocorrects. Brilliant.

bigbadbarry Thu 07-Jun-12 22:04:20

Thanks!

beachyhead Thu 07-Jun-12 22:11:00

I've always gone with white tiles then chosen expensive accent tiles. I typically do a strip about eye height and one about knee height in a shower. I've done pipe tiles, which are quite thin so you have something more expensive or I've done two colours interchanged..... it just means that people notice the colour accent rather than having a whole block of expensive tiles...

bigbadbarry Thu 07-Jun-12 22:26:32

I quite like the idea if having the shower area all mosaics. Can you link me anything specific you like? Maybe one you have used as a highlight strip?

bigbadbarry Fri 08-Jun-12 10:16:39

Bump.

DottyDot Fri 08-Jun-12 10:27:08

OK, we were pretty broke when we did our bathroom, but I like how it's come out - we used these as our main tiles - they're white but with circles on, some matt and some shiny, with I think this as a thin mosaic border around the very top of the bathroom walls - as a row of 3 or possibly 4 going all along the top.

My favourite thing though is our flooring - the bathroom's only tiny and the suite's white so we got something like this for the flooring - it's not this one as ours is bubbles, but it's this colour and style and it really brightens the room up.

bigbadbarry Fri 08-Jun-12 16:34:34

Thank you. I like the tiles with the circles. I really like your flooring but we are having underfloor heating which seems to restrict us to tiles not vinyl. Actually I like your shiny mosaic too but might they be slippery underfoot?

Rhubarbgarden Fri 08-Jun-12 16:51:22

Curious as to why your tiler said to avoid natural stone. Is that because it's more difficult for him to cut? hmm

bigbadbarry Fri 08-Jun-12 17:12:10

No he says it stains with shampoo and shower gel

greyvix Fri 08-Jun-12 17:41:24

Natural stone needs to be treated with sealant and then doesn't stain. As you also seal the grouting, that stays super clean for ages, which is a bonus. You can't use normal bathroom cleaning products on it though. We have stone and it looks lovely, but I'm not sure I'd go for it again.

bigbadbarry Fri 08-Jun-12 18:58:29

So what do you clean it with?

MarySA Fri 08-Jun-12 19:00:14

I was really envious when I read about your bathroom wing! I'm not good at tiles though.

Rhubarbgarden Fri 08-Jun-12 20:09:22

We've never had a problem with stains on natural stone. We clean it with micro fibre cloths and marble paste.

Pannacotta Fri 08-Jun-12 20:28:53

I think that using the same tiles with no border looks more classic.
That said, I do like the look of mosaic just in a shower area.
I saw these on the Topps website and they look rather nice, bit different
www.toppstiles.co.uk/tprod41779/section-1/Mira-Grey-Mosaic-Hexagonal.html
Do you need to tile the whole room?

I always suggest Marmoleum of bathroom flooring, comes in lovely muted colours and feels great underfoot, warm and easy to clean.

Pannacotta Fri 08-Jun-12 20:30:00

Sorry just read your post again and see that you dont need to do the whole room.
There are some lovley glossy glass mosaics on the Topps website, but they are £££££.

bigbadbarry Fri 08-Jun-12 21:16:30

It's not a huge area so I will have a look, depends how many £££ you are taking about! Actually we have a tops just down the road, might pop in tomorrow. Would glass be ok for the shower floor, not slippery?
Will google marmoleum. Have ruled out vinyl so we can have underfloor heating, is that an issue?

bigbadbarry Fri 08-Jun-12 21:59:19

Topps. Bloody iPad.

noddyholder Fri 08-Jun-12 22:02:23

love these Agree all over best no trims or contrasts etc All over look more modern and classic. Have used the fired earth and they are gorgeous Shame I moved! Will def use in next house. Also like pure white hexagonal mosaic

Pannacotta Fri 08-Jun-12 22:22:14

I think you can use Marmoleum with some underfloor heating, some info here
www.nu-heat.co.uk/s.nl/it.I/id.90/.f

greyvix Fri 08-Jun-12 23:57:13

Replying to OP re stone tiles. I have no idea what you clean them with, which is why I wouldn't go for them again! There are all sorts of stone cleaners, but I want one that smells liked Cif/ Flash. It doesn't seem to exist!

bigbadbarry Sat 09-Jun-12 11:47:21

LOL thank you smile I have ordered some samples from a mosaic tiles online company who have the most immense selection. I think I need large tiles for the rest of the floor...

sfewkes Thu 24-Mar-16 10:42:06

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now