Oxfordshire vs Bath/Bristol

(39 Posts)
likeatonneofbricks Thu 24-May-12 19:28:45

Does anyone know both areas well and can give me pros and cons. By oxon I mean a town, but not Oxford itself as too full of tourists and too biased towards academia (well so is Bath with tourists but only in the summer). I don't know any other towns in Oxon but I've heard that it's the best place to live, also great countryside. To me, it beats the west by its proximity to London where I like to go couple of times a week. Is Abingdom nice enough and has a reliable bus/cheap taxis to the nearest station? Can anyone also tell me about the 'atmosphere' of Oxon, as I think Bristol and Bath are definetely nice places, well the beeter parts of them (friendly, lots of shops, beautiful houses) - is Oxon more snobby? sorry a bit of a rambly post with many questions. Oh, and is Oxon more expensive, bar Oxford itself?

likeatonneofbricks Thu 31-May-12 19:53:35

amenities are

girlgonemild Thu 31-May-12 20:39:58

I don't know Thame well sorry.
Witney would be a case of bus to Oxford station and train from there I believe. A relative lived there and liked it. I would live there I think. It seems good value for money, But if you want the best transport links Oxford is probably what you want.

I like Oxford as much as Bristol, slightly more contained which can be good and definitely good for being closer to London. Some trains are under an hour. I know what you mean about areas though it's hard to know where exactly you'd want to settle down. I read that Florence Park is a popular up and coming choice second to Summertown but no idea about it personally. Something around the Cowley Road or Jericho maybe?
Bath is lovely but I think it would be an expensive place to live day to day too many gorgeous high end shops!
I do love the laid back west country vibe though and being closer to beaches etc is a big bonus for Bristol. I think it just depends what you'll use more.
Difficult but nice choice you have there!

DukeHumfrey Thu 31-May-12 21:44:30

Witney to London - drive to Charlbury, FAR better (see my comments above).

But if you definitely want city stuff, spend a weekend in Oxford exploring the city not Blackbird Leys though. Loads going on - look out for Daily Information pinned up everywhere.

Sinkingfeeling Thu 31-May-12 23:29:31

Do you have dc, OP? If you don't need to worry too much about school catchments, and want to be close to the station, Jericho sounds like a good bet for you. Plenty of Victorian houses and some very, very nice streets - 15 min walk from the city centre and the railway station I'd say. Also a good range of independent shops, cafes, restaurants and pubs. There is heaps going on in Oxford, partly because the two universities create some buzz but there are also lots of different non-university groups and clubs, depending on your interests. Have a look at the 'what's on' pages of Daily Information for starters. Good luck with your decision!

Sinkingfeeling Thu 31-May-12 23:43:43
likeatonneofbricks Sat 02-Jun-12 22:56:38

thanks Sinking, v.impressive with the events site! schools not an issue, as you've guessed - but I love MN grin. Do you know how to look for Jericho on property sites? is it mentioned in descriptions or should i go by postcode? I find that most Oxford flats are modern on the sites, and I'd cosider both houses and flats, whatever is larger space-wise.
Witney I'd go and look at as well. thanks, DukeH.

likeatonneofbricks Sat 02-Jun-12 22:58:42

girlgone, theoretically Bristol is not far from the sea, but the trains to proper seaside are very slow, and what looks like short distance doesn't prove to be! can you recommend nearest nice seaside places? dorset?

girlgonemild Sun 03-Jun-12 20:50:58

Forgot about public transport.
You can get to Clevedon for a seaside walk in 45mins on public transport.
For a proper seaside trip I think train to Exeter (about an hr) and then a train/bus to Sidmouth/Budleigh/Beer or even Lyme Regis would be your nicest option. The bus rides can be very picturesque through lovely villages so not too much of a chore although I guess the time all adds up if it's only a day trip.

LittleMilla Tue 12-Jun-12 08:25:10

Hello, only just checking back in here. We're further up Gloucester rd as the end near the big train viaduct is a bit gritty tbh.

My dh cycles to parkway as trains are quicker. From the new place that will take him 20 mins max, all flat.

I don't know about trains to seaside, but you shouldn't discount south Wales. Gower is breathtaking and certainly one f the reasons why we moved.

likeatonneofbricks Tue 12-Jun-12 14:29:41

thanks, Milla, will have a look further up Gloucester rd - it does look endless on the map! I'm not discounting Wales smile - never been there but v.impressed by scenery shown on tv - though it tends to be North Wales. How far is Gower by train from Temple meads, do you know? is it an area or a town, and anything there apart from beach (nice town centre?)

likeatonneofbricks Tue 12-Jun-12 14:32:21

girlgone - thank you for Lyme Regis advice, are b&b's/small hotels good there? would ne nice to go overnight and look around properly. Is it very small - and anything in the surround to see? Do you know how long is the bus trip - I do like the idea of nice villages en route.

likeatonneofbricks Tue 12-Jun-12 14:32:42

*surrounds

lucyfer2000 Thu 23-May-13 19:02:48

Hello likeatonneofbricks. What did you decide in the end? I'm in a similar ( mostly between Bristol,bath and surrounding towns) and wonder how you got on?!

I grew up in Oxfordshire (near Abingdon) and now live in Bristol.

Oxford and bath are quite similar.

I really like both - I would say that oxon is wealthier and potentially has better schools but there is less going on and less community projects etc.

What are you looking for?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now