ah, Rita, Rita, Rita...why on EARTH did you gloss your ceilings?

(40 Posts)
SpringHeeledJack Tue 13-Mar-12 12:08:16

The old lady who had this house before (Rita) kept it lovely but she glossed the ceilings- down to the picture rails naaaargh! Our builder told me this is pretty common

he's doing the tutting and blowing cheeks out thing, and making out there's nowt we can do about it, and that he'll have to do it (at huuuge cost) grin

has anyone else had these? What did you do with em?

far as I can tell this will mean either 1. sanding them and then using emulsion or 2. using something oil based (eg eggshell?) to cover it. Can't say am thrilled about either

[lazy]

tvm

bigTillyMint Tue 13-Mar-12 12:13:29

Hi SHJ - not seen you for aaages! Still knee-deep in house stuff then?

No idea about how to get rid of the gloss - I guess he is right, but would the ceilng fall down if you just emulsioned over? grin

schobe Tue 13-Mar-12 12:16:03

Where did Rita go? Is she all right?

Think I would pay someone to sand.

gimmeabreak Tue 13-Mar-12 12:17:32

Emulsion over it - my grandfather was a painter decorator and he recommended it to hide old water marks etc

better or worse than woodchip on the ceilings, I wonder <<contemplates horrendous ceilings>> or artex <<contemplates more horrendous ceilings>>

You have my sympathy - ours, we have concluded, need to be reskimmed whatever, so we have little choice other than paying.

captainmummy Tue 13-Mar-12 12:26:29

Sand ceilings - hire/buyone of those little handheld jobs. And some safety glasses. Then emulsion.

I lived in a flat with artex cielings - large concentric circles, joining up. And painted silver.

imnotmymum Tue 13-Mar-12 12:27:23

We have glossed ceiling in bathroom and inside windows. Stops the black [We live in damp rural area!!]

SpringHeeledJack Tue 13-Mar-12 12:34:23

aww, thanks all

and <waves> to BTM- yes, still battling with house!- dunno about knee deep but currently sitting up to my ankles in stripped wallpaper grin

schobe Rita went into a home. She was very old, and had lived in the house as a teenager when it was built. I hope she's still alive (also am a bit worried in spite of myself that, if she's died and can float over at will, she would be VERY cross about the state of her garden)

thanks also for the Hideous Ceiling posts. They have (strangely) made me feel better wink

apparently emulsion will peel off...am not to keen to risk it as I hate painting ceilings, and want to do it once and once only

it's looking like a plaster skim at the moment

gah

SpringHeeledJack Tue 13-Mar-12 12:35:57

ah, yes, imnot- I can see that it'd be useful under some circs, but this one was prob done in 1966 and has gorn yellow

I cannot face reglossing it

<cries>

Abzs Tue 13-Mar-12 13:03:42

Is it painted on the plaster, or properly on lining paper? If there's lining paper, just strip it, reline and away you go.

If it's on the plaster you can usually cover it with an oil based undercoat (you still have to rub the gloss down with wire wool so the undercoat has a key to stick to). Then emulsion top coat.

I suppose, now I'm thinking, that if you rubbed it down well enough you could probably just use several coats of emulsion.

scaryteacher Tue 13-Mar-12 17:01:13

It's got to be better than the stripped pine ceilings we have in our rental. It makes everything so bloody dark. Gets to be a problem when you can't tell the difference between black and navy opaque tights in the morning, so have to go with brown instead!

We have had this before. Not only that, but they glossed all of the coving ( hideous lovely polystyrene stuff) and then used bathroom sealant all the way along the join, between the coving and the ceiling.

To add insult to injury, beneath all of this was either woodchip, on some ceilings, or artex on others.

Ahhhhh

Abzs Tue 13-Mar-12 19:40:36

scaryteacher we have the pine ceilings too. I hate them, but ours are not stripped. They have a thick coat of yellowing varnish. Otherwise I would have painted them white by now...

eyestightshut Tue 13-Mar-12 22:53:15

We have the joy of trying to remove ultimate combo of white woodchipped ceiling with blood red gloss on the coving.

MIssMarplesSideKick Tue 13-Mar-12 22:58:06

Ever had polystrine tiles on the ceiling?

frenchfancy Wed 14-Mar-12 07:05:22

You can buy ceiling paint which is spirit based to go on ceilings. It is great for covering old stains, and should go over old gloss without and problems.

I have the pine ceilings too. A quick sand and a couple of coats of paint does the trick.

PigletJohn Wed 14-Mar-12 21:21:13

I wonder if there used to be a smoker in the house?

Selks Wed 14-Mar-12 21:31:30

MissMarples....yes, have horrible polystyrene tiles on spare bedroom ceiling. Have spent days and days trying to strip them off painstakingly with a scraper while teetering on top of a stepladder, and still only half done. Have given up and will pay someone to finish it. Utter nightmare. Have you got them?

MIssMarplesSideKick Wed 14-Mar-12 22:29:17

No, my Mum had them in every room in the house, she had to get the ceiling skimmed and drugs from the gp for tennis elbow, just doing downstairs.

SpringHeeledJack Thu 15-Mar-12 21:16:42

thanks for your Horrible Ceiling Tales, all

they have made me feel better-yet-worse grin

I am going to take the lazy way out and get the ceilings skimmed, then paint them myself

it's either that, or Not Looking Up for the next ten years

scaryteacher Fri 16-Mar-12 10:43:11

Frenchfancy - am in MOD accommodation abroad, so am effectively subletting from the MOD who rent from the l/l. We can't do a thing to the structure/decoration of the house.

mumdebump Fri 16-Mar-12 11:47:10

Wouldn't gloss paint on the ceiling be a fire hazard? i.e. if there was a fire the gloss paint would burn more easily and spread it more quickly? Polystyrene tiles would be a nightmare in that respect.

Iheartpasties Fri 16-Mar-12 11:56:28

We had gloss on the polystyrene coving it was sort of bright sky blue, the walls were garish lime green, then blue gloss skirting boards.

Sidge Fri 16-Mar-12 12:01:05

Get a Man in.

<helpful>

We viewed a house once that had been artexed to the max; all walls and ceilings with that pointy jaggedy spiky artex that takes your skin off if you brush against it. It was like being in a cave.

(We didn't buy it.)

Ceiling Top Trump alert:

We had varnished pine tongue and groove on our kitchen ceiling, underneath that polystyrene tiles, underneath those holes and black bits from leaks from the bathroom above.

So there!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now