How to find a reliable builder in West London?!

(20 Posts)
TadlowDogIncident Tue 06-Mar-12 20:01:23

Can anyone recommend a reliable builder in the West London area? We're about to move to Ealing and will want some work done more or less straight away on the house we're buying - recommendations gratefully received. (We've used Rated People to find builders in the past but have had mixed results: I don't know who all the builders are who are desperate for work, because they don't seem to be looking for it on there.)

elacs Tue 06-Mar-12 21:54:05

Hello Tadlow. I know an extremely good and reliable builder who lives in Brentford, very near to Ealing. His wife is a good friend of mine. I've known them for about 15 years. Let me know if you're interested and I'll pm you his details.

TadlowDogIncident Tue 06-Mar-12 21:55:23

Definitely interested, thanks very much, elacs. I'm not quite sure when we'll need him - we're about to exchange contracts - but it would be great to have his details.

sh77 Tue 06-Mar-12 21:57:20

I am based in Maida Vale. A company called Tiptoe Builders has been recommended to me several times in my area. Came to do a quote and the guy was v professional and gave me a detailed quotation. We just moved into our flat and I want it fully decorated and new floor put in. I have been quoted 12-14k by 2 companies which is too expensive for me. Dont bother with ratedpeople or mybuilder. I used the latter twice and was not impressed with the tradesmen.

Busyoldfool Mon 12-Mar-12 21:55:51

I also know a good builder - he works in the West and South West London area. Does extensions, lofts, gardens, drives etc. Came to me with good references and I was pleased with the extension he did for me.

Salteena Mon 12-Mar-12 23:50:03

We had a brilliant builder when we lived in West London. His name's Des Bowe - he seems to have a website now, here

This is a good few years ago now and sadly we moved too far away to keep using him, though we would have done so like a shot if it had been possible. He was a real gem, lovely guy and utterly reliable and conscientious. He was nearer Chiswick than Ealing but that's not a million miles away from you.

thomasbodley Tue 13-Mar-12 08:55:26

Don't use Pimlico Plumbers or Aspect Maintenance.

They are number 1 and 2 in terms of size in London and considered the 'gold standard' of builders here, but I've just won a legal action against the latter (finding out they had totally inadequate public liability provision in the process); and I have been ripped off and let down regularly by the former (my insurance company specified them - probably because of retainer agreements or some such).

Ratedpeople, Problemsolved and Mybuilder are full of fake reviews, no doubt left by friends of the builders and trades - it's very difficult to get lucky with someone good. It's certainly a truism, in London at least, that good builders don't advertise. Certainly don't use anyone putting a flyer through your door.

I'm afraid word-of-mouth is really the only way. I don't just ask friends - I drive around watching building projects in my neighbourhood, and ask the neighbour for feedback once they're completed. Architects are also a good source of builders, even if you're just phoning around and have no plans to engage an architect.

In the recent past I've been impressed by Frank Neale in Shepherd's Bush and Ark Construction in Wembley, but note that they are expensive and - no matter how much you pay - even the best builder only really gets an 8/10 or so. The sums of money involved are so huge and the expectations so great that you will never really feel truly positive about your builder, no matter how successful the end result.

Busyoldfool Tue 13-Mar-12 21:48:21

Thomas you are right about an 8/10 being about the best you can realistically give. Sums of money are huge and there are always so many unknowns - we hit real problems which could not have been predicted but the builder worked with me to sort them out. The results are not perfect but I realise that my expectatoins were v high bearing in mind my budget. For me the really important thing, (along with competence of course), is being able to talk to someone who treated me with respect at all times - then things can always be sorted out.

Interesting to hear what you say about the other two firms. Not surprised.

TadlowDogIncident Sat 24-Mar-12 19:29:14

I've never used Pimlico Plumbers, but couldn't agree more about Aspect - I got as far as threatening to take them to court once (they backed down and paid up).

xmyboys Sun 25-Mar-12 08:22:08

Anyone recommend a plumber in this area?

Elle808 Tue 16-Jul-13 10:44:23

My husband's a builder and I'd obviously be more than happy to recommend him! Not sure if that's allowed though so I won't give his name on here, but happy to supply his details - or answer questions myself - if you'd like to pm me.

As for a plumber, I'd be really happy to recommend Heywood Heating, based in Hanwell. Even though my hubby's a builder he's had his fair share of problems with plumbers over the years (I thought being in the business would have put a stop to all that nonsense but apparently not), but since meeting Dan from Heywood Heating his plumbing worries have been non-existent and he's since used him on all of his projects. Been a lifesaver to be honest (a stress-free husband makes for a happy wife smile).

benedictlefevre Thu 03-Apr-14 00:11:20

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Londonmum1980 Sat 09-Apr-16 08:15:12

I have a friend who has been defrauded of funds by a builder from Chelsea. His name is Theo. His business is rmt Ltd. He took the cash and did a runner while she was pregnant half way through the job and left her homeless. Be warned please.

Hkg16 Wed 03-Aug-16 07:13:13

Does anyone know a good builder/building company in the fulham area? We have had a few quotes and they have been sky high. Others say they're going to come yogi E a quote and are so unreliable. It doesn't matter if the builder/company is coming from a little west.

We are looking to get out whole flat renovated so need carpentry and bathroom redo as well as complete internal decorating.

Any advice would've much appreciated. Thanks

SarahSea1 Wed 03-Aug-16 08:48:26

I know a few Fulham builders - I'll PM you some details. Is any structural work involved? If not, given Fulham prices, you may find it more cost effective using separate trades.

Hkg16 Wed 03-Aug-16 09:08:53

Hi SarahSea1,

That would be really helpful. I'll PM you.

supersoftcuddlytoys Wed 03-Aug-16 09:42:10

My friends builder husband did a loft conversion for me, very reasonable price and he recycled loads of materials. I'm very happy with the job he did. He did it without scaffolding and saved me thousands. He's done loads of work in this area Hammersmith and came highly recommended.

I'd be happy to give you his number if you're not sorted out already?

olympia1234 Wed 10-Aug-16 17:28:50

hi supersoftcuddlytoys, i'd be interested in his number please - i can't seem to PM you?

Todalavida Mon 15-Aug-16 09:45:59

We can surely tell you to absolutely avoid MK Builtit, Martin K. the contractor is highly incompetent, unprofessional and without any clue of how to manage a project.
He will constantly come up with extra work, non-agreed work, that he will carry without your instruction and will charge a huge amount of money for. He will be in breach of his own contract at all times but will be very assertive and very disrespectful to you. He will send you an invoice on Friday evening 10pm and will ask to be paid for the day after. He barely understands English (or maybe only what he's happy to understand). The typical bad and unscrupulous builder. He will constantly come up with problems that you, the client, will have to sort out. He will never help, support or recommend anything to you (or when he's done it, it ended up being a wrong advise). He will expect you to know everything in carpentry, plumbing, electricity as he doesn't tell you what to buy but expects you to provide, hinges, glue, some technical plumbing items and so on. The worst builder ever. To avoid absolutely. You will fall sick, get stressed and pull your hair, as we did.

Candy281 Sun 09-Oct-16 08:12:37

Hello,

I''m looking for a plumber in the Ealing area that could do my boiler service and some little works in the bathroom.

Any advise? Company to contact or to avoid?

Thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now