Plantation shutters help me choose!

(96 Posts)
takeonboard Sun 06-Nov-11 12:51:13

I want to get plantation shutters fitted to my main sitting room windows - 2 very tall windows.

I have had them before in previous properties but over 12 years ago when there weren't many companies around. I just googled and there are loads of companies now including John Lewis. I really don't know where to start and who to contact, so need advice / recommendations from wise mumsnetters who have bought them recently.

I am looking for a company to make and install them rather than the DIY option as neither DH or I are up to anything more than changing a light bulb.

I obviously want a good price, but most importantly excellent craftsmanship and customer service.

Come and tell me who to call and who to avaoid!!

TIA

befuzzled Wed 21-Mar-12 21:07:44

thanks guys - i suspected sandersons were a hilary's/everest type company. Luckily I never answer my phone if i dont recognise the number! Will try Shutterly Fabulous as well.

judymoomoo Wed 13-Mar-13 11:30:53

Hello everyone, I know this is an old thread, but I would recommend Eden House for fitting internal shutters - I've used them a couple of times now and they've been brilliant. Small company offering a personal, detailed appoach, lots of advice and an excellent fitting service. They're based in Ascot, Berkshire but I know they do cover London areas too.

SE13Mummy Wed 27-Mar-13 21:14:13

Seeing as others are posting recommendations, I'd like to recommend that no-one consider using Homestyle (Lee High Road, SE London) for shutters.

I've posted about our disastrous shutter experience previously in the legal section but hadn't named the company. To cut a long story short, we ordered shutters and after 6 months shutters with the wrong sized slats were fitted. Poorly. Having had no response to our letters we eventually took Homestyle to the small claims court which found in our favour. Sadly, we have never received a penny from the company and are reluctant to waste any more money on bailiffs etc. as we can't imagine that we'd recoup our costs. Homestyle have, as a result of our action (and supported by detailed documentation that we'd kept), also been 'struck off' by the Guild of Mastercraftsmen.

So, steer clear of Homestyle by Peter Rhys for shutters!

flatmum Sun 31-Mar-13 19:26:52

I was a poster on this thread, we used Lifestyle Shutters in the end - Surrey/Sussex area, and can thoroughly recommend them. They were excellent no complaints whatsoever.

fahmida Sun 16-Jun-13 17:22:49

Thanks for that se13Mummy, that's v local to me, glad I saw your notice!

aarmacollo Mon 15-Jul-13 11:06:50

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

BD77 Wed 04-Sep-13 21:41:32

We have recently used The traditional shutter Company who are based in SW12 Balham area and overall the service and quality has been exceptional, we would highly recommend as they are cost competitive as well.

LittleMeg1 Thu 17-Oct-13 08:45:20

I know this is old but just wondered if anyone has used "Purely Shutters" Midlands based Co'. We're thinking of ordering with them but can't seem to find any reviews and as they want 50% deposit, wanted to check them out first. Anyone help?

spotty26 Thu 17-Oct-13 18:15:29

I used Alyson at Stylish Shutters in Tring. Pretty sure West London is her patch. Good price I think and excellent quality and fitting. The only thing I should have done was ask for tester pot colours of my blinds so they defo match the paint. Eeeek made a bit of a boo boo there.

spotty26 Thu 17-Oct-13 18:16:27

I used Alyson at Stylish Shutters in Tring. Pretty sure West London is her patch. Good price I think and excellent quality and fitting. The only thing I should have done was ask for tester pot colours of my blinds so they defo match the paint. Eeeek made a bit of a boo boo there.

plantationshuttersdirect Thu 24-Oct-13 19:57:21

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

lorraine1965 Sun 24-Nov-13 15:19:33

Has anyone used Purely Shutters Ltd and if so would you recommend them.

Meefirst234 Thu 16-Jan-14 08:30:49

Hello! First of all I'm bumping this thread by saying that I enjoyed reading your posts, you seem very in sync, kind and helpful with each other. Lovely! I am also on the look out for some good, energy efficient blinds for my conservatory. After doing some little research online, I came up with two alternatives: either plantation shutters, either pleated blinds. I would like it if you gave me your advice regarding the choice I have to make. I found this fragment that speaks about pleated blinds for conservatories so you would get a fast idea about these: The slim 20mm pleats make the blind neatly fit into any size window. The blinds are particularly suitable for conservatories, orangeries and sunrooms. There are two types of pleated blinds, freehanging for windows and conservatory walls, skylight blinds for square and rectangular glass and conservatory ceilings. Our pleated blinds manufactured with ASC fabrics with their solar reflective backing will keep your conservatory cool in summer and save money on heating costs in winter. Our translucent fabrics gently filter and soften the light whilst still giving your room privacy.
My other question would be if the retailers mentioned above, like Traditional Shutter Company or Eden House provide good service and these kind of blinds. If you know something about this, I'd love to hear from you. Thank you so much for your time and help! Good day!

audrey01 Mon 20-Jan-14 10:15:02

I can't comment on pleated blinds but just wanted to say that we have just had shutters installed over the weekend by the Traditional Shutter Comany (based in Balham SW12) and couldn't be happier with the end result! The shutters look sleek, clean and neat, give a bright modern look to the house and somehow make the room a little bit more spacious. Very happy to recommend the company - Ted - the owner really knows his stuff, he delivered the frames on time, with minimum intrusion while installing them, costwise - they were in the middle of the range of the quotes I got, but went with them as some of my other friends also used the Traditional Shutter Company and they were very happy with the quality of the shutters. If you are in SW12 or SW11, mention NappyValleyNet and you might even get a discount.
Hope this helps with your choice!

Dimascio Mon 20-Jan-14 20:07:54

Just had virtually all the windows in our house done. Looked around obviously to get the best price possible and had a couple of quotes from various companies.
We ended up going with Matthew at www.plantationshuttersdirect.co.uk on 0845 164 5070 or 07504 188646. He was quite a bit cheaper than the other quotes and has done a superb job!
From quotation and advice about configurations and shutters available, to delivery and installation it has been really outstanding. The quality of the shutters and the workmanship really can't be faulted. No mess, no hassle and would thoroughly recommend him to family and friends.
We are very happy with our new shutters.

plantationshuttersdirect Mon 20-Jan-14 21:19:16

Thanks Livio - It was a really nice job and thanks for the feedback.

teal125 Thu 06-Feb-14 19:19:38

I just wanted to say thanks for the previous posts, they have been invaluable in helping me to decide who to use. I had quotes from a few companies but in the end I went for plantation shutters direct. I have not had them fitted yet but I had every confidence in Mathew as he measures up, gives advice and fits himself. He was also the cheapest but I would not go on price alone for such a job - he just instilled me with confidence and didn't give a hard sales pitch at all. I am based in London and his company is in Chester so this may account for the price difference. I will update this thread once they are actually fitted. I really just wanted to add my voice now and would recommend if you are considering shutters then it would be a good idea to ask Mathew to quote (especially if cost is a factor)

gardenbee Sun 23-Feb-14 12:41:42

Read all posts with great interest. Has anyone used House of Shutters recently? Am thinking of going with them. Their shutters are made in the UK. Also thinking of Traditional Shutter Co but their shutters are made in Bulgaria I think. Does that matter?

Bettyboo221 Mon 24-Mar-14 08:56:11

We got a quote from Hillarys (wasn't impressed with their person) and Thomas Sanderson (rip off!) My husband ordered online from California Shutters and they were brilliant. He installed 4 windows in a morning and they were 1/4 the price of the Thomas Sanderson quote

Lovelyboutique Sat 12-Apr-14 18:33:53

Hi do you have a contact for the guy in Yorkshire - thought I'd ask if they'd travel :-//

Geek101 Mon 28-Apr-14 19:05:49

We have just had quotes from TTSC, Shutterly Fabulous and Plantation Shutters Direct. Cannot decide between them as price is very similar. Don't want to make a bad decision! Also not sure whether to go for more or less shutter per window and whether to have hidden or visible tilt rod?

GinnyRose93 Wed 30-Apr-14 14:02:02

I had my shutters installed by the House of Shutters. I started by doing their online quote from their website (just to see how competitive their prices were with 2 other companies, one company didn't even reply!) and then phoned them for an appointment. The surveyor was so good! He talked me through all of the designs that would best suit my wonky-ish bay, showed me examples and images. Absolutely amazing. Because they are one of the very few companies who actually manufacture their shutters in the UK, their lead times are down by at least half (6 weeks tops) rather than the 12 weeks for the Chinese imports! I honestly couldn't give these guys more credit. Me and my fiancé would definitely recommend. We love our shutters!

Sunshine1997 Sun 08-Jun-14 20:42:43

I cannot recommend stylish shutters enough from tring. I did my research beforehand on mumsnet finding a company that had good reviews but was also cost effective.

Alison was so personable when she came to give a quote and took so much time to ensure the measurements were correct and would compliment the existing window frame style we had. Also Alison's patience and advice to make sure we were happy with the choices we had made were second to none.

The quality of the shutters and the fitting are fantastic and they look superb.

We are over the moon and would have no hesitation in highly recommending them to anyone who wants high quality cost effective shutters delivered with fantastic service and great aftercare.

ashesgirl Mon 09-Jun-14 14:14:45

Can highly recommend Shutterly Fabulous. They were pretty reasonable too on cost.

directshutters Thu 26-Jun-14 10:34:33

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now