Anyone got a glass dining table?

(24 Posts)
vonnyh Mon 08-Aug-11 15:31:00

I (think!) I really want a glass dining table, but DH isn't so keen. Anyone got one, and if so why did you opt for it, and are there are there any pros/cons. my DC's are older so I'm not worried about safety or cleaning.

kbaby Mon 08-Aug-11 18:31:57

I only have one word of advice 'don't do it'. We've had ours for 9 years, its been perfectly safe with the Lo's but shows up dust, greasy finger marks and now ours is scratched quite badly. I crave a oak table that I can just wipe down. The glass one you have to buff to avoid water marks.
Sorry

SomethingBlue Mon 08-Aug-11 18:37:52

I've got a glass coffee table I inherited (I'll confess that I don't actually like glass tables), and I'd agree with kbaby. It's a bit of pain to keep gleaming, and I hate the clattering racket glass tables make every time someone puts their fork, glass etc. down (unless they're covered in mats or a cloth, of course).

bagelmonkey Mon 08-Aug-11 18:47:32

There's one in the flat we're renting. And a glass coffee table. They're horrible. I hate the sound when you drop things on it - I'm convinced it's going to break, or break the wine glasses/bottle one day.

LynetteScavo Mon 08-Aug-11 18:48:07

Glass dining tables are...wrong!

GrendelsMum Mon 08-Aug-11 19:51:52

SomethingBlue and KBaby have it exactly right aout the noise and the smears. We're not talking toddler smears, just ordinary life smears.

On the other hand, if you've got a really tight space, they do make it look much more spacious. I never liked our glass dining table, but it was right for the space in the previous house.

Also, it's really amusing to watch a cat trying to get at the food she can see through the glass table smile

visavis Mon 08-Aug-11 21:34:35

I have one. Bought pre child and was v worried that it wouldn't be totally child unfriendly. In actual fact it is good - as long as you don't mind getting out the glass cleaner regularly. It is certainly more tolerant than the wooden table my friend has which is now scratched

visavis Mon 08-Aug-11 21:35:45

Method glass cleaner is the one I would recommend

LisMcA Mon 08-Aug-11 21:39:59

got one, nightmare to keep streak free so I've given up. DS is only 14 weeks so don't know about childfriendliness. Its also scratched to buggery and I have no idea how it happens. I'm so careful with it. At least with wood if it's scratched badly you can sand and retreat the wood.

So along with everyone else my advice - Don't! smile

vonnyh Tue 09-Aug-11 11:18:51

Thanks for all replies. Looks like I'll have to rethink!

ninaandtina Wed 17-Aug-11 11:40:35

i saw your post and i must say, with my kids around too, i was hesitant about buying a glass top table. but at http://www.netfurniture.co.uk/shop/53/54/126/index.htm i found one with glass and wooden top, so the finger prints didn't show around the edges, it was safer for the kids and it still had the glass look.

tectime Sun 07-Oct-12 20:06:12

Hi

My partner would like to buy a high quality glass dining table (and will pay abot £3-4K for the table itself; off course the chairs are not included in this.
We are looking at either:

1. Square, 2m by 2m
2. Round, 2m diameter

Can anyone recommend any companies/websites, please?

manchurian Sun 07-Oct-12 22:53:16

It depends on whether it is table in a dining room/area that you only use occasionally or more akin to a kitchen table. If it's in a kitchen area then definitely don't have a glass table. I have one and it was getting dirty so quickly that Ive ended up covering it in a table cloth. But if it's in a dining room it should be fine. As long as you have a decent glass cleaner - or even one of those special glass cloths that only require water to be used - its actually very easy to get shining and streak free. Cleaning isn't the problem - it's keeping it that way, so it depends how frequently it's going to come into contact with human life!

Ungratefulchild Sun 07-Oct-12 22:58:00

We have one and I love it. It's actually part of a plate glass window and is on two beautiful oak supports. It's a bit scratched but is easy to keep clean.

stealthsquiggle Sun 07-Oct-12 23:00:15

We inherited one with the house - it eventually broke, but was more or less a PITA in between times. What I especially hated was having to clean the underside of it (although admittedly we had very small DC at the time)

You'll never stop bloody cleaning it, it shows up every speck of dust. Especially if the sun shines on it. And if you have kids you get finger prints on the underside of it as well. I no longer have a glass one thank god.

LastMangoInParis Sun 07-Oct-12 23:09:09

confused
I have a glass dining table and I love it!

I just don't get what people are saying about them being difficult to keep clean, etc. It's piss-easy to keep it clean: easier than cleaning any other table surface, I think.

The only thing that's a PITA is moving it. V heavy.

Shinyshoes1 Sun 07-Oct-12 23:13:05

I have one

It's beautiful BUT a bugger to keep clean and you cannot for the love of Pete keep it scratch free

We have tried

It has scratches ALL over :-(

MaMattoo Sun 07-Oct-12 23:28:37

Bought one pre baby - bad idea. It is now covered with various layers of fabric to keep DS safe and also to stop the noise it makes at the slightest movement on the surface. Can't wait to get rid of it!sorry!

Ungratefulchild Mon 08-Oct-12 00:40:16

Yes very very heavy, but lovely and EASY to keep clean.

DH had one in a flat he rented as a student years ago. It was horrible. Very difficult to keep looking clean and the noise of things scraping on it was horrific.

tectime Mon 08-Oct-12 09:14:04

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. It is appreciated.

I did, however, ask if anyone could give me some company names and website details, so I could set about buying one, please.

GrendelsMum Mon 08-Oct-12 10:40:08

You may need to start a new thread, Tectime - people are replying to the OP and not seeing that you've asked a new question half-way down.

FWIW, I think ours came from Heals.

Rhubarbgarden Mon 08-Oct-12 13:53:05

Sorry I'm not answering your question but just wanted to say that I saw someone fall through a glass table once. She had to have 13 stitches in her bum. Not nice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now