Does anyone have any ideas for decorating a very small downstairs toilet?

(29 Posts)
shandyleer Sat 06-Aug-11 22:04:17

It's your archetypal "cupboard under the stairs" size, so very small, and at the moment, very old-fashioned. Beyond wanting a modern (and obviously small) toilet and sink in there, I can't think of any good ideas. Any ideas anyone? TIA. smile

EightiesChick Sat 06-Aug-11 22:07:35

We have one of these. Basically it's white painted walls, with a big picture of a beach behind the toilet itself (from Ikea I think). Not saying this is style personified, at all, but it works for me to have it white to make the most of the space with one thing to draw the eye.

We did ours a bit differently, wallpapered it in Marvel comics. Looked really good and was so busy it just worked. Like this.

GollyHolightly Sat 06-Aug-11 22:14:08

Flying ducks!

GollyHolightly Sat 06-Aug-11 22:15:06

I also like Blanche's suggestion! I know someone who papered a (very) small room with the pages from her favourite book. It works surprisingly well.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sat 06-Aug-11 22:15:53

That's a fab idea.

I was going to say don't do anything tasteful. It's a tiny room and you don't spend long in there so do whatever you like. Ours is bright contrasting colours with a chandelier. The rest of the house is neutral and tasteful.

Marne Sat 06-Aug-11 22:16:51

Ours is painted duck egg blue and has a nice water colour hanging on the wall (nothing too exciting).

timidviper Sat 06-Aug-11 22:19:42

Ours has the ceiling painted white and all the walls tiled white with just a narrow black band of mosaic tiles as a border. We have a white art deco style loo and sink. Looks functional but good.

Large mirror with ornate frame on wall opposite toilet. Chandelier, and maybe some of that huge flock floral wallpaper that is all the rage these days on one wall.

BettyBathroom Sat 06-Aug-11 22:30:56

We went for very bright tiles on

Pannacotta Sat 06-Aug-11 22:34:36

Patterned wallpaper with large old fashioned mirror, with wall hung loo and simple wall mounted sink.
This is is lovely, though not small
www.independent.co.uk/life-style/house-and-home/interiors/soak-up-the-style-how-to-make-the-most-of-your-bathroom-2231712.html

The only problem we have with the comics is that people spend ages in there. In fact, we put new ones up right next to the toilet for something new to read!

We have light green walls and white paintwork if you want something more boring traditional. Small mirror, tiny tiles above the sink and nowhere else. I really like it.

It's used as a general store rather than a toilet most of the time though. It currently houses a cello case, 3 clothes dryers, shopping bags and a child's chair.

GhoulLasher Sat 06-Aug-11 22:47:23

I was going to start a thread about this! I like the flying duck idea! Thanks GollyHo I might go stupidly ugly-retro!

GhoulLasher Sat 06-Aug-11 22:48:29

Sorry but bleugh to that wallpaper Panacotta it looks like the loos in a Chinese restaurant!

rubyrubyruby Sat 06-Aug-11 22:50:40

I have Members of the Terracotta Army in mine!

shandyleer Sat 06-Aug-11 22:54:30

Ooh thanks for all replies, wasn't expecting so many or so fast.

I'm all bathroomed out at the moment, having just had the upstairs one re-done. Just can't make up my mind what to do with this one. Like the chandelier idea but not enough headroom, also like the idea of flying ducks!

shandyleer Sat 06-Aug-11 22:55:34

Oh yes, like the Marvel comic idea too.

rubyrubyruby Sat 06-Aug-11 22:58:13

I like to decorate rooms to remind me of somewhere I have travelled to. I always buy things wherever I go. My home tells the story of my life.

shandyleer Sat 06-Aug-11 22:59:42

Oh, like that wallpaper in Pannacotta's link too. This is always where I fall down, ie when it comes to choice. I'm so bad at it. I'm guessing half the walls papered in comics, half in bold wallpaper, a trio of ducks plus a chandelier will not be a good look? smile

Kewcumber Sat 06-Aug-11 23:08:17

assuming you are changing the toilet (as a guess) if you have a smaller under stairs cupbiard behind the toilet then you can get a back to wall toilet and put the cistern in teh cupboard behind. Works fine, looks nice and streamlined and gives you a valuable 4-6 inches more space.

BertieBotts Sat 06-Aug-11 23:16:41

I have a hilarious image now of a tiny understairs-cupboard type bathroom with a massive chandelier filling the whole thing...

In my bathroom I have these mats and a bin which I can't find anywhere online but I got from Robert Dyas and has multicoloured stripes on it.

shandyleer Sat 06-Aug-11 23:42:17

Ah yes Kew we do have that sort of arrangement, very good thinking on your part ...

And Bertie, am very into stripes at the moment. Now how can I fit those into the comic/wallpaper/duck/chandelier/combo?

herhonesty Sun 07-Aug-11 07:02:47

I think downstairs toilets are a greatnplace to be a bit braver than you normally would be elsewhere. Avoid tiles, go for dark colour on walls or a wall paper that you love but wouldn't have in a larger room or can't afford. Instead of tiled splasback you can get a glazier to cut a piece of glass. Love the comic idea. Have seen similar with pages of the ft, music manuscripts and Chinese newspapers. They make me smile! Downstairs toilets don't have to be functional in the way that bathrooms are, just cleanable.

thestringcheeseincident Sun 07-Aug-11 07:12:18
TimeWasting Sun 07-Aug-11 07:19:23

Ooh, I love that stringcheese!

One wall covered in picture frames perhaps, different frames, with photos of all the family, or newspaper clippings, or photos from different holiday destinations etc.

HoneyPablo Sun 07-Aug-11 08:12:50

We are planning a punk theme in ours. The walls are going to be painted silver grey and I am going to stick up flyers, gig tickets, photos, record sleeves etc. Think CBGBs, only cleaner.

BettyBathroom Sun 07-Aug-11 08:51:11

I agree that you should try to be a bit brave in the smallest room - neutral doesn't work - it just looks dull and unloved.

We used these Tunisian hand painted tiles on the wall behind the basin
www.firedearth.com/tiles/colour/patterned-decorated/morena

All other decor was kept very simple. We have a wall hung toilet with the cistern in the cupboard behind the cloakroom. Floor light grey, tiled skirting. Wall hung basin with chrome trap, underfloor heating. Per square foot it was the most expensive room in the house but i fell in love with the tiles and it will be the most frequently used loo in the house by family and visitors so it is worth getting it right.

We just need to find a super slim cabinet for the wall - one that just looks like a mirror to store the cleaning stuff.

minipie Mon 08-Aug-11 11:25:34

I would say you want it mostly fairly simple but with one "bold" element - bright walls, or fancy tiles, or a wall of photos, or something. But not a mix of all those things !

Oh and wall hung sink and loo are the way forward.

We've just re-done ours. Dark green slate tiles on the floor and used as skirting, and behind the sink, they are really lovely. The walls will be white unless I can persuade DH to let me paint them bright pink which I reaaaally want to .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now