How much do you spend on heating oil per month?

(12 Posts)
stubbornstains Thu 16-Jun-11 20:41:50

Sorry for the boring post- I don't think this one's going to make Mumsnet Classics! I went to view a rental property today, and it has oil-fired central heating/ hot water (we're out in the sticks- no gas mains round here..).

I've heard terrible things about the price of heating oil nowadays, so I thought I'd ask: if you have oil-fired heating, do you find it terribly expensive, compared to other kinds? Ooh, and how big is your house? (this cottage has 2 bedrooms and double glazing, and granite walls about 2 ft thick, so quite heat efficient at least!)

LoonyRationalist Fri 17-Jun-11 11:29:07

Reasonably insulated 3 bed bungalow. Hot water is immersion or electric shower but for heating we spend about £800 a year on oil - we are used to cold temperature however after moving here from a very cold draughty place. I have thermostat on 17 so if you like it warmer it would cost more iyswim.

ChasingSquirrels Sat 18-Jun-11 22:18:15

12 year old 4-bed detached house. 2 full tanks (2 x 1000 litres) a year. I like it warm and the oil does the heating and the hot water.

Moodykat Sat 18-Jun-11 22:30:07

70's detached 4 bedroom bungalow. Not great insulation and not all double glazed. In summer we don't use any oil at all as I just put the immersion heater on and light the fire if it gets chilly. During the winter we would easily get through 1000-1500 litres though, if only we could afford it.

lucyspangle Sun 19-Jun-11 09:15:58

About 200 pounds per month - filled tank recently oil cost 58p per litre.

Well insulated house no alternative means of heating and we like to be warm.

TrinityIsAShreddingFatRhino Sun 19-Jun-11 09:25:43

150 pounds a month

4 bed high ceiling house with double glazing

SpottySlippers Sun 19-Jun-11 09:38:58

£65 a month for a four bed cottage/four reception rooms but we do use the woodburners throughout the winter. This is for heating and hot water; heating on from Ocotber to April. We did refurbish last year so have a new boiler and super duper insulation and this has made a huge difference to our bill. Do not fill the tank in Nov/Dec/Jan as this is when the price is at its highest.

cheesetoastie Sun 19-Jun-11 09:56:03

About 2500 litres for a 5 bed detached but I don't like it warm and we also have an open fire that we use instead of heating whole house sometimes. Oil price trends can be seen on boilerjuice.com. I last paid 42p per litre but it's more like 58p per litre at the moment and at Christmas time it was nearly £1 a litre. If you have a big tank and can fill it in the summer it can help keep the costs down.

stubbornstains Mon 20-Jun-11 10:49:56

Thanks for all your posts! It's fascinating to find out what kind of houses you all live in too....

Although I have to say, I'm seeing some huge differences in price here too, making me more, rather than less, puzzled...Even from the people I'm talking to in RL it's similar...For example, one friend in the village has a 3-bed council house, and says she spends about £50 a month on oil....whereas another friend in a 3-bed council property (with a new boiler too!) on the other side of the country gets through over £100 a month....

(scratches head and goes off for a lie down...).

mumblechum1 Mon 20-Jun-11 10:53:38

Ours was £170 a month (5 bed detached) but haven't bought any oil for a year, we just used open fires and elec heaters in the bedrooms last winter as it was costing too much to run the boiler.

fivegomadindorset Mon 20-Jun-11 10:53:59

About £200 a month here to, but big drafty farmhouse.

smartyparts Mon 20-Jun-11 12:25:20

£90 a month, draughty 400 yr old cottage, but use woodburner in winter too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now