Can you get a TPO put on a tree in your garden?

(9 Posts)
Herecomesthesciencebint Sun 12-Jun-11 22:13:44

New neighbour has asked us to cut down a huge beautiful and very old pine in our garden near the border, as the needles blow into his guttering and garden. There are loads of these locally and we all get needles in the guttering that we deal with. We really do not want to cut this tree down.

He has alluded to the idea that it could get 'accidentally' damaged. I know we could prosecute if we can prove this but it doesnt save the tree.

Can we get a TPO put on if the tree isnt in a public place?

bluebobbin Sun 12-Jun-11 22:17:02

TPOs do apply to private trees, yes.

Not sure how you get one though.

Paschaelina Sun 12-Jun-11 22:19:31

I think you need to talk to your local council environment dept. Thats who controls TPOs along with conservation areas and the like for my area. Have a look online at your council website.

Paschaelina Sun 12-Jun-11 22:20:52

Posted too early.

Meant also to say I have a copper beech with a TPO on it since long before we lived here. If we want to do anything with it such as lopping or trimming in any way we have to apply for permission to the council first.

Herecomesthesciencebint Sun 12-Jun-11 22:34:50

in what circs would the council apply one does anyone know? what makes a tree desirable enough to be saved?

MmeBlueberry Sun 12-Jun-11 22:37:26

Is it in you front garden?

nocake Mon 13-Jun-11 16:36:37

Having a TPO on it won't stop him "accidentally" damaging it and will cause you endless hassle if you want to trim it or remove it in the future. It will also make your house a little bit harder to sell.

Pendeen Mon 13-Jun-11 16:46:32

So the man is a new neighbour and has already stated demanding changes which, in the process have upset you. Did the idiot not see the large tree when he viewed the house?

He sounds a nasty piece of work - "..accidentally damage the tree" indeed!

angry

dexter73 Mon 13-Jun-11 17:14:26

When my mum was selling her house which has a large copper beech tree with a TPO, one of the couples actually said that the tree was putting them off putting an offer on the house as it would be too much trouble! Never caused my mum and dad any trouble in the 30 years they lived there, but each to their own.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now