Is it possible to replace a flat window with a bay window?

(6 Posts)
BadPoet Tue 17-May-11 13:01:34

Google says it is, but specifically I want to replace our main front window which is 230 x 140cm and currently has a shallow sill and a long narrow radiator underneath. I want a bay window, and window seat fitted into the bay but would still need a source of heat.

Is that possible?

BadPoet Tue 17-May-11 13:03:24

Oh yeah, and I want storage too.

<asks for moon on plate>

lalalonglegs Tue 17-May-11 13:19:04

It's possible but will probably be a planning matter as changing the appearance of the front of the house or extending (which this would be, albeit only by a tiny amount) at the front usually requires consent. Someone on the street next to us had it done (Victorian cottage, probably had a bay originally as most of the neighbours do but, for some reason it had been levelled off) - it looked very nice but is quite a big job requiring deep foundations, possibly a steel if the old lintel/support isn't deemed to be up to scratch etc.

BadPoet Tue 17-May-11 14:55:39

Thank you, I did wonder about planning. I hadn't thought about foundations etc! I am sure it could be done but it's whether it's worth all the hassle and expense... - thanks again smile

Deux Tue 17-May-11 15:39:22

There is a house near us who have had this done but it is only the window that is a bay type, iyswim.

It is not supported underneath but protrudes from the wall with some kind of wooden truss type arrangement under the window. So there won't be a window seat or anything. It looks odd.

Pendeen Tue 17-May-11 17:09:07

It is perfectly possible, especially if you do not change the structural opening however you will need Planning Permission (under the "No extension forward of the principal elevation or side elevation fronting a highway" rule).

You will also need Building Regulations Approval.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now