what colour do i paint my hall/stairs/landing?

(20 Posts)
ThatVikRinA22 Sat 30-Apr-11 15:22:22

i have gone through numerous tester pots....

i cant decide.

its a small but sunny hallway. stairs that turn, on to a small (but darker if all the bedroom doors are shut) landing.

all the paintwork will be white.

cant do anything too outlandish as house is going on market. so far ive tested a sort of powder blue pale green pale yellow and cream. im shying away from using a colour tbh - thinking of keeping it neutral, but looking at paint charts there are millions of neutrals!

need a new carpet too, but dont want anything light coloured (learnt the hard way with kids/cats/dogs)!

ideas please!

I like this
There is a more vibrant stripy stair carpet scene on another decorating website ( with White Walls) which I am hankering after, but can't remember which site it was... Will add a link if I find it again.
HTH smile

ilikeyoursleeves Sat 30-Apr-11 21:27:55

I am in the exact same dilemma! We just got our hall plastered & can't decide on colour. I'm thinking of using 2 colours possibly, one on each side iykwim? Needs to be fairly light & wipeable....

jollster Sun 01-May-11 12:38:09

I used F&B Dorset Cream in my old house and LOVED it. Looked great in all lights. It's a yellowy cream, and we had a sort of pale butterscotch carpet on stairs and landing (stripped original boards elsewhere). All paintwork and ceilings were white. (It was a Victorian midterrace so had some nice period features and the colours worked well)

About to do up next house top to bottom to sell and will probably go a bit more neutral, will probably go Farrow's Cream or maybe even Tallow. Like the ideas of greys but always worry they'll look drab.

You can't go wrong with F&B IMHO.

ThatVikRinA22 Sun 01-May-11 13:10:48

you know i hadnt even thought of farrow and ball....

had dulux, crown and focus colour charts! cheapskate! ha

had a quick look on line and do love their colours....where sells? how do i get a paint chart?

can you order on line?

poppin Sun 01-May-11 13:31:58

I would also go for a yellowy/cream. Our hall-way is dulux egyptian cotton matt, which is a light grey, and that is ok. The dulux endurance is good to clean off marks.

Jemma1111 Sun 01-May-11 13:39:09

Soft stone, I think by dulux, is a beautiful neutral colour.

I have it in my living room aswell as the hall and get so many comments about how nice it is!

DoctorWhoEver Sun 01-May-11 14:04:39

We have Dulux endurance which is just as well because my hall gets incredibly grubby - so grubby I've had to use Mr Muscle & Cilit Bang - the paint has survived through it all - will be using it again in areas where children like to rub their dirty paws.

ThatVikRinA22 Sun 01-May-11 14:19:16

Well it might be dulux - this house is going on the market when im done with the painting - DH has drawn the line at spending Farrow and Ball prices for a house we are selling, but i am very glad my attention has been drawn to them because im hoping the next house will be for keeps! F&B colours are gorgeous but pricey, saying that i have sent for a colour chart.

soft stone you say Jemma....off for a look on chart...

HalleluiaScot Sun 01-May-11 14:21:27

We have white walls in our hall, stairs and landing. This is for the sole purpose of being able to touch up when the grubby handprints no longer was off.

jollster Sun 01-May-11 15:18:07

F&B ain't cheap I agree BUT you can buy it at Homebase on their 10%/15% off days. If they don't have the paint in stock (very often they won't, they have a very limited range usually) you can order it on the day and get the discount IYSWIM. I haven't actually done this but someone suggested it on this very forum!

I won't use other paint now [evenlessmoneythansenseemoticon]

ThatVikRinA22 Sun 01-May-11 17:44:34

i shall store up that info the the next house jollster! thank you!

jemma - soft stone does look lovely - will get a test pot.

also like mellow mocha....

(am trying to forget the F&B paint chart winging its way to me until i find a house im staying in....!)

ThatVikRinA22 Wed 04-May-11 21:39:41

well - Focus has gone into liquidation so i panic bought just before our local store shut its doors for the last time (they literally kicked me out! lol) and i got 2 big tins of Soft Stone.....

please reassure me that its not as pink when it goes all over! ive done a test pot sized square and it looks quite pinky tinged....im not sure if its because the walls im painting it onto are currently a soft yellow...i thought it was a mid beige tone and its looking decidedly pink! eek! i cant even take it back.....Focus shut down as i was paying!

ThatVikRinA22 Wed 04-May-11 22:50:09

<sobs>

its pink! its pink....oh my lord

im going to have to live with a pink hallway....<sobs some more>

come back jemma and tell me it doesnt look pink when its finished.....please

jollster Wed 04-May-11 23:01:08

I'm far too nice to say you should have gone to Specsavers for F&B... Hope the pink is a trick of the light sad

ThatVikRinA22 Wed 04-May-11 23:10:37

oh god please dont - i used to work for specsavers and it was the worst 18 months of my life!

ive just said to DH i should have just got F&B....ive spent the same anyway on dulux...thats PINK!

im sure it will be fine when its dry and has two coats
imsure
imsure
imsure <trying to reassure myself>

ThatVikRinA22 Wed 04-May-11 23:11:27

can you ebay unopened paint?

CheeseMeisterGeneral Thu 05-May-11 14:32:08

How about car booting the paint ? And if you find a friendly builders merchant they will mix up paint to match F&B colours, its not always exactly the same chalky finish but if you are selling may give you the look without the price ?

ilikeyoursleeves Thu 05-May-11 21:03:10

Calm down dear!

My MIL just gave us the leftovers of her soft stone paint as I was admiring it on her wall the other day and I def didn't think it was pink at all! To me it looks brown instead....?

Don't worry, if it's really really naff looking you can always paint over it grin

I still don't know what colour to do ours. I have a 15% off voucher for Homebase this weekend though so will have to decide quick smart...

ThatVikRinA22 Fri 06-May-11 17:43:17

well the good news is that Focus has reopened though for how long i dont know
bad news is i cant get money back - can only swap and they have sod all left
so ill have to get a colour mixed
the Soft Stone definitely looks pink on my wall - sort of like a salmon pink- the colour of new plaster. so its going back - i hate pink!

i cant just repaint it - i cant reach above the stairs and am paying somone £120 to paint it, so just doing it again isnt going to be an option...

nipping back to focus tonight to grab some colour charts for the stuff you get mixed up....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now