Cost of running an oil / gas Aga?

(11 Posts)
SouthGoingZax Mon 04-Apr-11 11:13:24

Hello,

It looks like we will be moving to our dream home fairly soon (everything crossed!).
In time, maybe before next winter, we will be re-vamping the kitchen and putting in a reconditioned Aga.

Can anyone give me an idea of how much it will cost to run on oil (probably) or gas (we would have to use canisters as are not on mains gas) or any other words of wisdom or experience.

The Aga will be in a large farmhouse kitchen in the middle of the house (next to staircase). We're hoping it will go some way towards warming the house and reduce central heating costs.

I have a little experience of Agas as I was brought up with one, but obviously didn't have to pay for it myself then!!
Thanks in advance.

PanicMode Mon 04-Apr-11 19:29:53

My parents run an AGA that is purely for cooking and keeping the (farmhouse) kitchen warm grin - and it's about £30 a week to run it (oil fired). They have a gas cooker and run the heating off oil too as they are in the middle of nowhere so there is no mains gas - so the AGA goes off in the summer months.

HTH

nowwearefour Mon 04-Apr-11 19:32:04

Our AGA servicer man reckons it takes around 40 litres of oil a week to run an AGA. It is not cheap. But it is LOVELY!

mischiefmummy Mon 04-Apr-11 22:13:02

We have a 1100 litre tank which keeps our Aga going for about 3 months. My only advice would be to have a bigger tank which means you can buy more oil during the summer when (historically) the price dips a bit.

DELHI Wed 06-Apr-11 14:10:58

We had an oil aga when we moved here and we got rid - it drank oil!! Oil was half the price then that it is now, and will only get more expensive, so I would be very careful before committing yourself

TennisFan Thu 07-Apr-11 09:28:02

We have had one in our current rented house. It seems expensive, it is our only method of cooking so we have no choice but to keep it on.
We bought 1000 litres at the start of February, and have had to top up again this week before we move out at Easter.

But, it is lovely and i will really miss it when we move.

Also, it backs onto our living room and completely heats up the shared wall - also we always have loads of hot water for showers etc.
And I can dry clothes beside it - overnight.

And when we all get in after work/school in the winter it is soo cosy and warm and you can cook the DC something quickly without waiting for oven to heat up!

diggingforvictory Fri 08-Apr-11 11:19:00

Why don't you look at some of the other range cookers that look like Agas, but are cheaper to run? We have a Marshall, which is oil fired and also runs our central heating and hot water. The burners are much more efficient than an Aga so they use a lot less oil.

SouthGoingZax Fri 08-Apr-11 20:19:48

Thanks all for your advice. At the moment we are leaning quite strongly towards the 'everhot', (mentioned above) which seems much more efficient and would also allow us to run it from renewable energy (generated at home, I mean - we're hoping to put in some photovoltaic solar panels or a turbine later on). This has all been really useful.

shandyleer Fri 08-Apr-11 23:51:14

We just got rid of our gas fired Aga yesterday as:

a) too expensive
b) have to keep it on all time so makes kitchen way too hot in summer
c) I wanted more control over how I cook things, ie wanted to be able to adjust heat to how I want it
d) Ours was only two door and two hob oven, and as a family of 6 I often struggled with space.

On the plus side, it was brill for drying clothes/wet shoes, and perfect for those mornings/evenings when its still chilly but not chilly enough to have heating on.

percyza9 Sat 28-Sep-13 17:07:09

Our 2 door Aga which cooks and heats the water costs around £40 per week. (Sept 2013) For servicing add another £100 each for two visits. We use the Aga for seven months per year, Oil and servicing amounts to about £1400, for all cooking, hot water and heating the kitchen / living room. Note, The coldest days we need an electric fire as well and hot water for drinks is via electric kettle.

The other five months are all electric and costs about £5 per week (Two people,) = Say £100. fof five months Total £1500...............

Old oil Agas are virtually worthless except for scrap value, about £150 but a days hard work to take out and maybe another half day clearing up. CAUTION Some are full of dust which maybe harmfull. Dont forget they maybe connected to your indirect water supply. PLUMBER NEEDED unless you know what you are doing. IF YOU ARE NOT SURE DON'T TOUCH IT.

I am considering scrapping my Aga and using an electric cooker and electric immersion water heater all year, cost: say £250/£300 per annum. (No service charges)
An electric fire for the kitchen will use around 15 units per day @ .145 pence per unit, cost about £460 for seven months

My total bill will (I hope ) be in the region of £700/ £1000 per year.
Thereby saving £500.

AgaMum Wed 09-Jul-14 14:32:45

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now