Boiling Water Taps.. yes or no?

(66 Posts)

Initially I dismissed having one of these, just seemed a bit excessive. But I am coming round to the idea of instant hot water for drinks and cooking and NO KETTLE cluttering up the place.

So three questions please,

1. If you've got one, are you pleased with it, or was it really a waste of money?

2.Are they as efficient as they are promoted as being

3. Which one? I've seen Quookers (£££££) and InSinkErator (£££). My kitchen supplier is recommending ISE at around £4-500.

Thanks

emsyj Wed 02-Mar-11 14:29:18

We have one at work. I don't like it, the water isn't as hot as it is from the kettle so your drinks don't taste right.

This view is clearly shared by others in my office judging by the queue of people waiting to use the TWO kettles instead of using the boiling water tap!!!

(Sorry, others may be more positive about them...)

walesblackbird Wed 02-Mar-11 14:31:04

For me a definite no - from the safety point of view. Have three young children and would be terrified they'd scald themselves.

Fiddledee Wed 02-Mar-11 17:31:08

I've heard that there are good for a cup of tea but do not produce enough hot water to fill a pan to cook with. With small children I won't be having one in the new kitchen. I like wasting the time making a cup of tea .

hardworkingandnice Wed 02-Mar-11 20:33:46

Had a brand new Quooker one installed 3 months ago.

To get runnning water, you have to push the lever in then twist backwards - It is so fool-proof I had to call hubby on mobile to get instructions!

Temperature is 110 degrees & I get 6 litres in one hit. Takes 15 minutes to heat up the next lot.

Very useful for quick pasta, veg, stock, gravy, getting hard old food off plates, I disinfect the cleaning cloths in a bowlful.

Wouldn't be without it.

SingingSands Wed 02-Mar-11 20:40:40

We have one at work and everyone uses it (very hot, tea tastes fine unlike poster above), I like it a lot and would get one installed at home if I had the readies.smile

Fiddledee Thu 03-Mar-11 07:47:41

oh dear some poor office boiling taps are giving the product a bad name.

hardworkingandnice - is it toddler proof the tap?

KristinaM Thu 03-Mar-11 08:32:48

I have had a quooker for 3 years and I love it. It's the only gadget in my kitchen. One of the reasons I got it was safetly concerns as I have 3 young children and it's so much safer than a kettle.

KristinaM Thu 03-Mar-11 08:34:00

Oh and I am a black tea drinker and it makes good tea as the water is boiling

trixymalixy Thu 03-Mar-11 08:39:57

We've got one at work, it is good and the tea tastes fine. It feels wrong though, like something's missing from the ceremony of making a cup of tea, IYSWIM. Some of the break making a cup of tea gives you is missing. Plus it would take an age to fill a pan.

AFAIK it is safer for children than a kettle as the volume of water is much lower, if they do scald themselves it's likely to only be their hand rather than pulling a kettle full of water over their face and body, and if they do put their hand under it'll only be under for seconds as they would pull it out pretty damn quick!! Also I think they have locks for home use.

bananafrosting Thu 03-Mar-11 09:04:10

Yes wouldn't be without it (ISE one). Re temperature - there is a dial and you can set how hot you want it. Plenty hot enough for tea! There is masses of hot water to fill pans etc, I never haven't had enough. When we go on holiday I get massively frustrated by having to boil a kettle, seems really clunky and old fashioned and inefficient. Honestly, do it, you won't look back!

pinkcushion Thu 03-Mar-11 09:22:55

Temp is 110 degrees - that's water heated under pressure and sounds incredibly dangerous - surely you mean 100C - which is bioling point and the hottest water can get under normal conditions.

I'm currently putting a kitchen in and I have decided against one. I know they have safety features but some of the kids I've met can open any safety gate/ cupboard lock etc - I think they are just not worth the risk.

As for cluttering up the kitchen - I love the minimalist look but remove every sign of life and your kitchen is in danger of looking clinical and souless - I feel a couple of beautiful worktop appliances enhances a kitchen.

FIL has recently put one in - they love it, but I'm waiting to see what the tea tastes like once the mechanism has clogged up with our stupidly hard water. It's pretty toddler/child proof I'd say (FILs was DH proof when we first saw it wink).

KristinaM Thu 03-Mar-11 14:56:57

The water is aerated so although it s boiling it wounldnt scald the same way as a kettle. There is no lead which could be pulled. AFAIk most children are scalded by water when they pull a trailing flex or tip a kettle of water over them. And the flow rate is much slower , so if a child climbed up onto the worktop, worked out how to push and turn it and turned it on they woudl have to then bend down and stick their face under it to burn their face etc. Most small children would need two hands to exert enough pressure to turn it so that would-be quite difficult. It's noisy too which scares them

HTH

amothersplaceisinthewrong Thu 03-Mar-11 14:59:33

We have one at work - excellent.

herewegoloopyloo Thu 03-Mar-11 15:03:21

We have one (a Quooker) which has child-'lock' design as described by KristinaM above. I love it - it's more efficient (esp for me who was forever boiling the kettle then getting distracted by toddler then boiling it again 5 min later - and repeat...), it's safer (see Kristina's post), it looks good and saves worktop space and is perfect for everything from cups of tea to cooking to baby's bottles.
Is fab.

herewegoloopyloo Thu 03-Mar-11 15:04:06

PS. had it nearly 4 years and no problems

Well, thank you everyone. It seems that most are in favour/like them. I really like the idea of doing away with the kettle, but can I justify the nearly £500?!? Hmm. Food for thought.

Cheers ladies brew wink

warthog Thu 03-Mar-11 18:03:33

yes - a quooker.

phenomenal.

AND SAFER THAN A KETTLE!!!!

will not do without one again. no waiting around for kettle to boil, no running out of hot water. tis just marvellous.

I want one!

androbbob Fri 04-Mar-11 23:05:25

Was going to post last night as we have one at work. Turns out it is a Quooker one and I dislike it. It burns your hand as you have to push it in and then turn and hold to get the water out. It is under fitted cupboards (wall cabinets) and you get a lovely facial just filling a mug. But I can see the attraction over a kettle...just

warthog Sat 05-Mar-11 09:06:59

are you sure you have to hold the tap in place while it's on? mine you don't. and i wouldn't put one under fitted cabinets. there's a lot of steam.

EdgarAleNPie Sat 05-Mar-11 11:37:55

what about running cost?

Elibean Sat 05-Mar-11 13:18:12

Yes, quooker, didn't want it (dh's idea) was worried about safety etc, but now love it and wouldn't be without!

EdgarAleNPie Sat 05-Mar-11 13:42:54

seriously, how can it run cheaply if it keeps water boiling all the time?

how much tea do you have to drink to make it worthwhile?

Edgar - am interested in the running cost thing, everything I read says very efficient. But I don't know/understand the mechanics yet!! Also very good for filling pans for cooking. Instantly hot, hob on much shorter time/not working so hard saves energy too......

warthog Sat 05-Mar-11 16:24:03

it is MUCH more efficient than a kettle.

with a kettle you always heat up more water than you need so wasting energy. which you lose because it starts to cool down again immediately. and it takes an awful lot of energy to heat water from 5 degrees straight out the tap to 100 degrees.

the quooker is pressurised and extremely well insulated so it takes very little energy to keep it at a constant temp. it doesn't have to contend with the wild oscillation in water temp.

Elibean Sat 05-Mar-11 21:20:18

And its not just tea (and coffee). Veggies are instantly boiling/steaming, dd2's milk cup is cleaner in seconds, veggies are warmed up for her in seconds too...

...and when the dds had nits last term, I cleaned the hairbrushes under instant boiling water grin

androbbob Sat 05-Mar-11 21:23:23

warthog - I was told to turn and hold but have never tried letting go! We have only been in the buildng a month so its all new to us. Will try that next week - if that is true then no more burnt palm!

maryjane71 Sat 05-Mar-11 22:38:12

Just read all the posts and still can't decide! I want one DH doesn't. We've been quoted £350 for the insinkerator. It's so small and neat. DH has read the tank needs replacing after 2 years, yet someone's just said on here they've had theirs for 4 years. Hmmmm I want one envy

JandLandG Sat 05-Mar-11 22:44:45

totally environmentally unfriendly, surely?

maryjane71 Sat 05-Mar-11 22:55:24

They're supposed to use less energy than a kettle, I'm not sure how either, but they do

Ponders Sat 05-Mar-11 22:58:51

I wouldn't, I'd worry about bacteria in the pipes confused

anyway it only takes about 1 minute to get proper boiling water for 1 cup in a fast kettle

KristinaM Sun 06-Mar-11 00:04:34

I am confused about the burning hand comment. We've had ours for 3 years,, I use it about 10 times a day and have never burnt myself confused. I wonder if your has somehow been fitted incorrectly.....

CharlieBoo Sun 06-Mar-11 12:45:42

I like the idea of them...just had my kitchen installed...is it too late to get one????

warthog Sun 06-Mar-11 12:52:50

bacteria in the pipes - don't think they're going to outlast a blast of 100 deg water!

environmentally unfriendly - nope - read my posts.

god - kettles are dreadful.

i gotta step away from this thread because i'm getting too emotionally involved grin

sonnybeaudelaire Mon 07-Mar-11 13:33:44

Oooh, this is on my mind too - may I join?

There are some Quooker fans here but does anyone have an Insinkerator at home?

The Quooker is more money but I prefer the look of the Insinkerator, but it would be good to hear from devotees before I go for it!

Ponders Mon 07-Mar-11 18:44:17

so if it's at a permanent 100 degrees, no cooling down ever (which could allow bacteria to grow) - doesn't it go a bit stale?

I mean one of the rules for good tea is that you should always empty the kettle (if necessary) & put fresh cold water in...

Ponders Mon 07-Mar-11 18:45:14

(we have a pressurised combi boiler & I wouldn't want to use the hot water from that to make drinks with)

notapizzaeater Mon 07-Mar-11 18:48:38

I want one of these but have granite worktops can they be fitted retrospectivly ??

CarGirl Mon 07-Mar-11 20:22:51

Ours at work is regularly not working properly confused

I only boil the water I need in the kettle at home - I know by site how much to boil for a coffee for me or coffee for 2 etc etc - it's not rocket science confused

Ponders Mon 07-Mar-11 20:51:53

me too, cargirl

maryjane71 Mon 07-Mar-11 21:38:48

Generally 'things at work' are crap. I very much doubt the average workplace has a quooker or insinkerator. Probably an Urn. They're not the same!

CarGirl Mon 07-Mar-11 21:42:04

yes it is def one of those zip taps I believe it cost over £500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It has a safety lock for the boiling hot water.

It obviously gets a lot of use between 8am & 4pm the issues are that it breaks down completely sometimes. It gives you half a cup of water and then it stops. Sometimes the cold water comes on when you let go of the hot water lever.

I just don't think it can cope without the amount of use it gets.

CarGirl Mon 07-Mar-11 21:43:29

Here it is

www.zipheaters.co.uk/public/products.aspx obviously we have a commercial one. It's put me off having one at home!

maryjane71 Mon 07-Mar-11 21:48:40

Just had a look at your link. Not sure the same product should be marketed for domestic and commercial use

CarGirl Mon 07-Mar-11 21:53:41

I think they do several different models some commercial some domestic. I'm sure the ones at work were around £1k. We're in a very hard water area and I really don't think that helps. Some of the tea drinkers have complained that it doesn't taste right.

snorkie Mon 07-Mar-11 22:09:40

hmm, it's never going to be perfectly insulated so there will be energy losses especially as the temp gradient will be large, but if you habitually boil a kettle with too much water in then it quite probably is more efficient, especially if you have it set to turn off at night which I believe you can do. However if you are careful to only boil the right amount of water each time in a kettle then it will be less efficient.

JetSetWilly Mon 07-Mar-11 22:17:01

Awww I wish you would all agree and say they are amazing and efficient and everybody should get one cos I want one!!!

maryjane71 Mon 07-Mar-11 22:24:18

I want one Jet!!! So don't want to hear any negative comments. 'we have one at work' isn't the same thing

JetSetWilly Tue 08-Mar-11 05:49:00

I agree Maryjane. I'm discounting all the 'we have one at work and they're crap' comments grin

Well, after all this excitement, my kitchen installer came by yesterday and said I might not have room for it as the tank will not fit under my sink with the arrangement of units and other gizmos!!!! Boo hoo, I may have to forgo my boiling water tap (and I'd just got myself all excited and willing to part with the best part of £500 to have it as well!!!!)

Am intrigued at the extent of debate this has created, I expected a couple of replies and nearly a week later, the thread is still going!!!!

KristinaM Tue 08-Mar-11 10:50:09

mine fits at the back of the cupboard under the sink, which is a 1.5 bowl. i cant imagine why the arragement of units would affect it, unless you have a corner sink

are you sure he's not just being difficult? they don't like to do anything out of the ordinary hmm

read this and discuss it with the plumber

I hear what you say, our guy is a bit jobsworth/sharp intake of breath/gentle shake of the head kind of guy. But we have drawers under our sink so it's not that straightforward.... However, we may be able to do something with taking out the back of the unit, so not impossible,, but he needs to go away and measure etc.

KristinaM Tue 08-Mar-11 11:25:57

ooohh drawers under sink [sucks teeth].....

.. don't shake your head and tut, please!

It's all to do with lines...... donchano?!

KristinaM Tue 08-Mar-11 12:34:50

ooohh too fancy for me [shoves pencil behind ear]

JetSetWilly Tue 08-Mar-11 21:16:20

Oh no! Well at least that has made your mind up now? You most definitely want one!!

maryjane71 Tue 08-Mar-11 21:28:05

I've decided I definitely want one - nay - I'm having one, and DH can go whistle smile

CarGirl Tue 08-Mar-11 22:18:47

I had a fight with the one at work today just to get one cup of water. I just hope it's because it isn't designed to have the amount of constant use it actually gets.

I loved the idea of them until we had this one at work confused there is one on each floor and having to use other floor's ziptaps is not that uncommon - about once a month and they are onl 2 years old. I blame the plannners, they kitchen layout is seriously bad so I reckon they bought the wrong taps and got domestic instead of commercial use ones wink

bambilove Fri 10-Feb-12 18:55:30

The Quooker site says it's suitable for baby formula. Most advice on baby formula says boil a kettle and let it cool until it gets to 70 degrees.
a) is it safe to put quooker water straight into a bottle for feed or is it too hot? (obviously allowing to cool before feeding)
b) is the actual water hot enough to have killed all the bacteria in the first place?

wonkylegs Fri 10-Feb-12 19:21:49

We found that contractors are notoriously bad at fitting Zip taps wrongly - but if correctly specified, fitted and maintained they work fine in a commercial environment, one of our clients uses them in all their buildings (huge portfolio) and all the ones that has had problems are down to them being fitted incorrectly or even the wrong one.

Rhubarbgarden Fri 10-Feb-12 19:35:24

I wouldn't want one [Luddite].

IvanaHumpalot Tue 14-Feb-12 23:18:05

I love my Quooker. DH would have to get up even earlier to make my morning cuppa if we had a kettle ; )

minipie Wed 15-Feb-12 12:42:31

Parents have got one (not sure what make but it will have been researched to death knowing them!)

They never use it. They don't use it for tea as it's not quite hot enough. They don't use it for cooking water as it's not near enough to the hob (easier to carry full kettle to pan on the hob, than carry full pan from tap to hob). They don't have anything that needs sterilising.

based on their experience I wouldn't bother...

machbar Thu 18-Oct-12 12:18:06

3 complaints against Quooker were upheld by the Advertising Standards Authority. The following claims were deemed misleading, exaggerated, and/or were not adequately substantiated:

1. that the product was "Eco Friendly";

2. that the product was "Energy Efficient"; and

3. "Energy use only 3p a day, a saving of up to 55% against a kettle".

You can read their decision here:

www.asa.org.uk/Rulings/Adjudications/2012/1/Quooker-UK-Ltd/SHP_ADJ_168593.aspx

A poorly conceived ad doesn't mean the product doesn't work, or isn't convenient, but as of 4 January 2012, the company can no longer make the above claims in ads.

That said, we still plan to get one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now