Anyone used Econoloft?

(75 Posts)
InmyheadIminParis Sun 12-Dec-10 18:47:06

We're going to convert our loft early next year and we've asked a nation-wide company called Econoloft to prepare a quote.

Has anyone used this company? I'd love to hear how it worked out.

Once they heard our ridge height was only 2.2 metres they weren't even interested in quoting. Fair enough. A ceiling was lowered in the end....

InmyheadIminParis Thu 16-Dec-10 11:32:26

Thanks Dukes - we've got the height, luckily. I'd love to know if anyone has any positive or negative things to say about them.

Has anyone else had any experience of them?

InmyheadIminParis Tue 21-Dec-10 09:02:03

bump

mumoverseas Mon 27-Dec-10 15:07:53

Hi, we used them in the summer of 2008 for our loft extension. They were very prompt in doing the quote and started (and finished) when they said they would.
We had a large(ish) conversion which gave us a large bedroom and a study.
Their carpenter Matthew was excellent. He was extremely professional and liased with all the other trades and co-ordinated everything.
I would highly recommend the firm and particularly Matthew to undertake your job

InmyheadIminParis Mon 27-Dec-10 18:08:48

Thanks so much for that - that's so good to know. Which part of the country are you in? (if we're in the same part I'll ask for Matthew).
Thanks again, mumoverseas.

mumoverseas Tue 28-Dec-10 05:38:55

Hi Inmyhead, we are in West Sussex. Matthew lives/lived in Brighton but his team (assistant/plumbers/plasterer etc) came from all over. I seem to recall him saying that they would travel down and stay local to where they were working so am pretty sure they will work almost anywhere.
I have lived through a two storey extension (12 week build job which actually completed in week 26), a conservatory and the loft conversion when I had just found out I was pregnant and have to say the loft conversion was the least stressful as Matthew was so nice, friendly and basically ran everything. Although he was the chippie, he managed the whole project. Am pretty sure I have his mobile number on my UK phone (am abroad at the moment) so will have a look later and see if I can find his surname for you. If you can get him managing it, I would expect it to run very smoothly.

InmyheadIminParis Tue 28-Dec-10 18:08:47

mumoverseas that's so kind of you. Thank you. We're on the Cambs/Beds boarder - so probably a bit too far away, but it might be worth checking, just in case.

mumoverseas Wed 29-Dec-10 03:56:13

Hi, I wouldn't be suprised if you weren't too far away. I'm pretty sure the plasters and electrician lived miles away, up north somewhere and I'm sure they were staying at the boss's flat near London whilst they worked down South. Am sure Matthew said how pleased he was to have a 'local' job. I think the job after us was over Middlesex way.
You never know, worth a phone call. Good luck

Elle12 Thu 13-Jan-11 11:30:49

Before embarking on our loft conversion we thoroughly researched five companies and Econoloft came out on top for all aspects of the building process. The quote is competitive. We have not incurred any unseen costs. We are currently a 'building site' and hope to finish in a week's time. I would highly recommend Matthew Doherty (joiner) and his sidekick Ezra. Professional, friendly, approachable and honest, they involve us in making choices and keep us up to date with the day's developments. Matthew is an effectively site-manager and liaises with the other teams; electrician, plummer and plasterer to ensure that all jobs follow smoothly. At the end of the working day Ezra effectively clears the working area. Disruption is kept to a minimum. So, yes I would recommend Econoloft.

mumoverseas Fri 14-Jan-11 07:34:13

Thats the one! Matthew Doherty. He is lovely, please send him my regards. I'm sure he will remember me (and my crazy neighbour who used to shout at him when he was sitting on the roof) grin

webwiz Fri 14-Jan-11 19:01:15

We used Econoloft about 6 years ago and they were brilliant. We have a fabby loft conversion with two huge rooms now one of which is a second sitting room that DS retreats to go on the xbox in peace! The whole process was fairly painless and I hardly noticed that the joiners were there until they broke through the ceiling to put in the stairs (that bit is fairly messy). We did have some rude plasterers that I complained about and Econoloft said they were new subcontractors that they wouldn't use again. We're in Hertfordshire.

Waves to mumoverseas I haven't seen you on here for a bit.

thewoodys Mon 17-Jan-11 12:02:00

I Would recomend Econoloft everytime!!

We were also very lucky to have Matt & Ezra complete our conversion and I would agree they are great guys!!

Our conversion was completed a week before our second child was born. I would not normally recomend starting a conversion so close to your due date but Matt, the office team & other trades made it stress free.

They arrived 7.45am every day and always left the house clean and tidy which is what you need when you also have 4yr old running around.

We got a 3 or 4 quotes but Econoloft did come out best.

Gentleness Mon 17-Jan-11 14:43:24

Would anyone who has used them mind giving an idea of the cost, maybe per sqm? We are thinking ahead - wouldn't be looking at doing anything for at least 5 yrs but a saving-goal would be useful!

CatherineTina Wed 25-May-11 14:32:49

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

LiPea Mon 27-Jun-11 21:21:19

So glad to hear that you have all liked Matthew and Ezra's work on your home. Matthew is my partner and we are expecting our first baby....can't believe I have found all these comments about him on mumsnet! So funny! grin

kbaby Tue 28-Jun-11 22:42:18

Shame they don't work in south Wales, I'm on the lop out for a good loft company

MyNicknameIsUnavailable Wed 14-Sep-11 19:11:09

Overall delighted with our dormer loft conversion by Econoloft.

What we liked: helpful yet not pushy salesman; fair price and very clear contract so knew what was and was not included; excellent and efficient written and verbal communications with office staff; flexibility to vary design details prior to project start and also as project progressed – felt the company was on our side; builder (and his team) gained our confidence very quickly: pro-active, excellent listener to our wishes, accommodated all our changes to the original design and offered design improvements as the project progressed. Nothing seemed too much to do, or even undo, in terms of changes we wanted too make; excellent standard of workmanship by builders; loved the fact that I was able to dovetail my own efforts into the project (eg plumbing and electrics, design and supply of own glass balustrade for the outside, sourcing and supplying own metal framed doors and windows).

Anything negative? Yes, unfortunately, but must stress that positives far outweigh the negatives, giving a score of 9 out of 10. Here are the negatives: damage to plaster on neighbour’s side of party wall eventually repaired, but much higher priority should have been given to repairing this quickly; resin roof and wet bathroom was done by Econoloft roofer who needed to take much more care to keep the permanently setting liquid resin off unwanted surfaces such as walls, shower outlet, and even our staircase carpet. Some broken roof tiles also as a result of careless manoeuvres by roofer or his assistant. Finally, builder proved difficult to contact for the final 5% of the work, prior to completion certificate being issued by buildings control company. I had to buy some insulation and complete some essential work myself before the completion certificate could be issued.

These negatives may sound alarming, but I must stress again that taking everything into account and in context I would award a final score of 9 out of 10.

We can honestly say we have ended up with a final product that has exceeded our expectations in terms of design, features, natural light, and maximisation of space.

Highly recommended!

petercmfjohn Thu 22-Sep-11 23:21:17

try central london lofts they provide 10 year warranty to the labour and material. www.centrallondonoloft.co.uk. They are one of the loft conversion companies who provide affordable services

gumpert Fri 23-Sep-11 09:59:42

We have just had our loft done by Econoloft,following a recommendation from our neighbours.Our house has a 4 pitch roof,but even so we have 2 very light and airy rooms.They always arrived when they said they would,workmanship is to a very high standard,and is guaranteed for 10 years.Only negative;wish we had done it years ago.
Would recommend them to anyone looking to make use of their loft space.

noddyholder Fri 23-Sep-11 11:26:46

I have looked at them, are they expensive?

petercmfjohn Sun 02-Oct-11 17:32:19

not as far as I know, as I got quote from econoloft,trussloft, aboutloftss and central london loft, there is a 7 k difference between Econoloft who place a big quore and central londonloft

hester Sun 02-Oct-11 22:10:53

LiPea, how lovely and funny to find your other half raved about on here - if I didn't have a loft conversion already I'd be tempted to have one just so I could meet Matthew grin

Best of luck with your new baby.

Diana13 Wed 05-Oct-11 14:58:59

Econoloft quoted me the best price and their design was unique and utilised all of the space, I was very happy with the work done in time allocated, shame i never met matthew tho' !!

TracyGriffin Wed 11-Jan-12 18:03:19

Hi - we used Econoloft very recently for our loft conversion and are absolutely thrilled to bits. Adam and Jim, the head joiners were fantastic, always respectful of our house, answered my hundreds of questions on my ever growing list and their finish is superb. I can honestly say we had no problems during the build, and everything ran to time. We made some changes as the build went on and that was not a problem in anyway, and the plumber and electrician were also fantastic too and again not one single. I would absolutely recommend them without a shadow of a doubt and happy to show anyone round who wants to look at their finish (we are in Beckenham, Kent). We felt we really got value for money and that what they promised they really delivered on.

birkbeckRus Wed 18-Jan-12 18:40:43

TracyGriffin - will take up your offer as we live in the Beckenham area too - we're waiting for a revise quote from Econoloft, hopefully by the end of this week, so once we have it can we come round and have a look?

sleepingbunny Thu 19-Jan-12 11:27:49

That's so nice to hear, Tracy. They've just started ours... slightly daunting...

bellababy12 Sat 10-Mar-12 21:58:41

Hi TracyGriffin, really pleased you had a good experience with Econoloft as they're currently at the top of our list - trying to get a loft conversion done before 2nd baby arrives in July! We don't live far from Beckenham, would be really helpful to have a look at their work if the offer still stands and you haven't been inundated!

JoMcGee Wed 15-Aug-12 14:13:53

Hello – We have just had a loft conversion done by Econoloft on our maisonette and are thrilled with it. Our initial contact with Paul who came round on numerous occasions to go through ideas and plans was great and we never felt like he was giving us the hard sell. Adam and Jim were our head joiners and were very professional throughout keeping us updated with all aspects. Despite having the worst weather possible during the majority of the build it only overran by a couple of weeks and this included having a new roof which we hadn’t asked for at the start. As we only had the shell done Adam was great in giving us advice on how to complete it, which we are currently doing. We would be more than happy to use Econoloft again if we ever had to do another conversion.

PigletJohn Thu 16-Aug-12 16:53:13

I was looking at "Advanced Search" and am puzzled that there are people on this thread who never seem to have posted anything else. Am I searching wrong, or is there some reason why a person might join a forum, recommend a loft company, then never be seen again? confused confused confused

anje Fri 14-Dec-12 17:46:09

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Headofdiy Fri 22-Feb-13 11:23:43

"I was looking at "Advanced Search" and am puzzled that there are people on this thread who never seem to have posted anything else. Am I searching wrong, or is there some reason why a person might join a forum, recommend a loft company, then never be seen again?"
Funny you should say that! Econoloft is an old thorn in our side and I came across this thread causing my jaw to gape open and my eyebrows to collide with the ceiling. Very painful. I can point anyone towards several people of my immediate aquaintance whose experience of Weconalot is less than positive. Generally the finish on the work is appalling, and they never actually finished the job. I completed wiring, plumbing and an outside contractor finished plastering. Doors did not fit, they sawed a 100year old teak banister 2inches short, securing it to the new stairs with a cheap metal angle bracket. Tasteful.
I knew what I was in for when the first delivery arrived. The doorbell rang and a large scruffy man without a hello or any pleasantry, turning away from me holding upa sheet of paper said "this is what you gotta pay". Apparently he was the company boss.
The workers were rude and very aggressive and demanded large payments in advance. Work was exceptionally slow, the weather got into the rest of the house damaging ceilings. This was never repaired. Using ECONOLOFT was one of the worst experiences of our lives.
Really.

kbjin Mon 11-Mar-13 00:52:53

Headofdiy, very interested to know more about other issues you had with this company. We are thinking to get quotes for a loft conversion too.

Balham123 Mon 17-Jun-13 22:09:12

A friend of mine is thinking of using central London lofts ltd but the comany is listed as dormant ? is this a problem?

MissTrust Sat 17-Aug-13 04:29:28

I just wanted to get on here to describe my experience with Econoloft as the positive reviews on MN were the main reason we chose to use them, i bitterly regret this in hindsight and I'm glad that PigletJohn and others have drawn attention to the other side.

Work started on Jan 17th 2013 and as of today it hasn't finished! We were told at the start it would take 4 weeks as no one was living in the property. We are now in month 8! All econoloft do is subcontract your job out to someone else and it's pot luck whether you get a reliable team or a totally unreliable one, as in our case. The head joiner's initial are DM and from start to finish there has been very poor communication, and total unreliablity on the part of the workers, apart from when they want money and have they have no qualms about asking for that.

I haven't got the strength to go into all the issues we had but here are a few:

They removed an old water tank from the loft but forgot to close the pipes properly and water dripped throughout the celings. They reassured us that it was nothing serious and would dry, but 2 months after we moved in the ground floor ceiling in the dining room (nothing to do with the loft conversion) came crashing down!! And even then econoloft were in no rush to recyify it. Thank God we were out of the house at the time.

They smoked all over house (we were not living in the property at the time) and left cigarette butts everywhere, despite them knowing we were planning to move in with a newborn baby and a toddler a few weeks later. They Treated the house like a dumping ground - the skip didn't arrive when they started work so they dumped all the rubble (from lowering our first floor ceilings) in the living room, on the carpet, with no protection!

We were told on umpteen occasions that work would be continuing on our property, my husband would take the day off work (for which he didn't get paid) and no one would show up. This happened repeatedly. Materials that my husband had bought were stolen and when confronted, the culprit tried to pin it on another labourer!

The quality of the work is dubious as it was evident to us that corners were cut and my husband had to specifically ask for jobs to be done again when he noticed, but as they worked unsupervised most of the time, we have little confidence in the workmanship. We also received a phone call several months down the line in the middle of the night from one of the labourers telling us that all sorts of shortcuts had been taken by the joiner and that we should get the work checked!

Econoloft's current management seem to be wholly unqualified for the job and I have never experienced such poor customer service as I did when speaking to this company director. You may as well complain to your dog for all the sympathy you'll get. Week in, week out we phone econoloft to get them to finish th job, but here we are, still waiting for it to be signed off. We have had no offers of compensation and I find it hard to believe that anyone in that organisation will ever step up and take responsibility for the utter shambles that is our loft conversion. I seriously would not recommend them to anyone.

Daisycat0208 Sat 28-Sep-13 17:51:16

We used econoloft twice. The first time went well. The second was a nightmare. Cut ceiling and wall joists to rooms below which they tried to hide. We had to take down walls and ceilings to make safe, we had unbolted steels it was so bad we had to get our builders to finish the job.

The customer service was abysmal, the plumber Duane and Plasterer were great but the rest I could only describe as cowboys. If you use them make sure you get a recommendation for a good joiner. Our first conversion was fine, the second from hell. I could go on but our experience including the smoking! We're similar to Misstrust.

ChocolateHelps Sat 28-Sep-13 23:05:42

I'm surprised by the first few glowing reviews too

We had our loft converted by econoloft in 2006. They turned up on a Thursday, no notice, worked for 4 days straight and then no show for a few days. This carried on thru the job. Joinery was good enough but plumbing was awful. Drainage from shower was left going up rather than down. Luckily my DH is very handy and after we fired plumbers he finished it off.

The plan and layout was good, joiners ok, everything else fairly ropey. If I was to do it again I'd pay more for a reliable local builder with a good local reputation.

Riley63 Sat 02-Nov-13 20:07:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Riley63 Sun 03-Nov-13 17:58:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

agerry Thu 05-Dec-13 13:23:58

We have just had the loft converted. Found Econoloft to be a great company who were very easy to deal with. They were also the most competitively priced and on budget! Our joiner (Greg) was just excellent. He has a real eye for detail and his team were great. Their professionalism made the conversion what it is! Would very much recommend them.

thebellsofsaintclements Thu 05-Dec-13 13:38:29

No no nooooooo! I wouldn't recommend them to anyone, we had a horrible experience with them!

They had a good sales patter, seemed to know what they were doing to start off with, and their quote was £10k lower than the other company we asked. They took our initial £1500 deposit, after which we agreed that they would start the second week in September.

The start date came and went. Since then, we have chased them numerous times, both by phone email etc and the few times that they actually answered the phone they have been rude, saying things like: I'll speak to the managers when i've got some time. We finally stopped chasing them in October and now it's December and still no word from them! We are now thinking of suing them to get our deposit back. angry angry

RosieMe Fri 06-Dec-13 14:46:59

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

dingit Fri 06-Dec-13 15:03:55

We had a very bad experience with Absolute lofts, from the planning stages, builders not turning up, botch jobs and damage, and the worse, a brand new roof that leaked like a sieve. A 6 week job took 6 months. Luckily I was a sahm, and when I realised what they were like, I was project managing it myself.

The problem with the larger companies, as previous posters have stated, is that they subcontract, and you just get a team that is available and it's potluck. If I did it again I would research an independent builder, with references, and inspect previous projects myself.

petercmfjohn Sun 08-Dec-13 11:36:41

just found some useful reviews about econoloft in rated people and yell, According to those Econoloft is poor in work quality as well as customer care. Please consider those reviews before selecting Econoloft for loft conversion

Katie001MC Fri 03-Jan-14 14:44:45

Lfs2126 Thu 09-Jan-14 06:30:43

Just started a loft using econoloft. 2 days in and already a little ahead of schedule. My team are outside in the van at 7.15, they start at 7.30 and leave at 3.30. They never leave the loft for more than 20min afaik, they are clean, polite and have kept me informed without having to ask for updates. I will update as we go along. have 2 comments at the moment:
1) party wall agreements: loft conversions are a big undertaking, not just slapping down some chipboard and crossing your fingers. As a neighbour, I would never sign away without seeing plans etc. we spent approx £3k with 2 party wall specialists to make sure everything is water tight legally. Pain in the a but glad we did it now.
2) standard of work. How come the building inspector hasn't got involved. Ours has to do 3 site visits to sign off work as it goes along. Surely if the work was that bad they wouldn't allow the project to proceed without correction?
Finally,We have received 3 sets of plans during the design stage to sign and correct. If you see something you don't like, say so. We have a direct number to the office manager and planning and have found them really pleasant to deal with.
As I said, only the first week and I will give updates.

RosieMe Thu 09-Jan-14 07:26:00

Re building inspectors - with us they only visited once and they didn't stay for that long. It's not their job to comment on the quality of work, just to make sure that it meets the regulations in particular regarding safety. They'll care if you haven't got fire doors in place but won't be interested if your skirting boards have been put on upside down.

Regarding the plans - as I detailed above the drawing office ignored all our requests for information about the plans, giving us the impression that it was "like it or lump it". Also, from the plan we could not see the positioning of the chimney breast and so we're not aware it was an issue until construction. The only reason we stuck with them once planning permission was granted was because they had our deposit, which they seemed to be clinging onto like grim death, and they also had ownership of the plans - so to switch company at that stage would have required employing a second architect and then paying another planning fee.

Lfs2126 Wed 15-Jan-14 17:14:44

Ok.1 week in. 1st building inspection done. Floor laid, dormer frame up. 1st fix wiring done so we have little tails thru the ceiling on 1st floor for smoke? Detectors. Team still very punctual, explain what they are going to do and when.i had an issue with velox positions & they gave me options quite happily. I am very impressed thus farsmile

Econoloft Thu 16-Jan-14 21:03:54

Econoloft Thu 16-Jan-14 21:06:41

PixelMum Mon 27-Jan-14 21:51:35

PixelMum Wed 29-Jan-14 14:23:30

PS - what a shame that Econoloft's comments have been deleted by Mumsnet HQ - it would actually be so interesting to see what Econoloft have to say for themselves . . . . .

Quinteszilla Wed 29-Jan-14 14:29:57

I agree with Pixelmum. We are keen to do a loft extension, and I was intrigued by all the raving comments from one off posters at the beginning of this thread.....

RosieMe Thu 30-Jan-14 10:25:47

Lfs2126 Thu 30-Jan-14 10:46:58

I've just had my loft finished now by econoloft. I'm waiting on the final inspection. I am not a one off poster. My experience has been fantastic. The joinery team were punctual, clean worked 7.45- at least 3.30 to 5pm every day. They brought their own food and drink and barely stopped all day.they were friendly and approachable. The standard of work was very high indeed IMHO.the plasterer/roofer/electrician were also great. We even had an on site visit by the managing director.
Maybe I was very lucky... But it seems unlikely. Pm me if you like for dets.

PixelMum Thu 30-Jan-14 11:19:51

How very odd - my original post has disappeared!?!

Obviously hit a nerve with someone - I wonder if it was the company in question who is feeling a little rattled? Hmmmm . . . . .

My post did not break any of the "Talk Guidelines", simply stated the facts of our very unfortunate experience with this company. Not even a swear word.

I would very much appreciate a full explanation, Mumsnet HQ, as to why you think my post deserves to have been deleted.
Thank you!

PixelMum Thu 30-Jan-14 11:51:33

Oh, it seems my post was indeed reported by the company in discussion.
I have appealed it with MNHQ - my post did not mention anyone by name, contained no derogatory or inflammatory comments, other than stating the facts of our experience, which is what other posters on here have done, and what was asked in the original OP.

Someone is clearly feeling the heat . . .

ragstonono Thu 30-Jan-14 11:54:16

Maybe better to leave reviews on Qype. They are a review platform, and wont agree to delete comments ....

PixelMum Thu 30-Jan-14 12:11:38

Thanks for that Ragstonono - I will do!

(It wasn't initially intended to be a review, just regaling our experiences and joining in the general discussion).

Now the company has clearly forced me to leave reviews elsewhere, so that is just exactly what I will do grin

Lfs2126 Thu 30-Jan-14 17:12:11

Maybe it was thought that 15 years was beyond the statute of limitations to leave a reviewwink

PixelMum Thu 30-Jan-14 18:08:11

Aah, but it wasn't a review - it was an opinion based on experience wink
Simply a helpful contribution to the thread

Lfs2126 Thu 30-Jan-14 18:37:15

Ok I get the gist. I'm just not sure how helpful an experience from 15 years ago is going to be....surely people want to know about what's going on now? I'm not a plant, I am a genuine client & the personnel it have dealt with have been really nice and helpful.

PixelMum Thu 30-Jan-14 18:48:39

Well, Lfs2126 - although our work was done 15 years ago (and how do you know that, you must have read my deleted post???) it is still appropriate, as we are still experiencing problems - so yes, still relevant to anyone wishing to have a loft conversion now. Choose the right company, and you won't be experiencing problems in 15 years' time. I think my contribution to the thread is entirely relevant in warning people off an unsavoury company. You may have had a great experience with them - excellent, good for you, I'm so pleased!! But potential customers still have the right to know the possible downfalls. This is what this thread is about, right? Pros AND cons . . . .

Lfs2126 Thu 30-Jan-14 22:09:42

Your deleted post was up for quite a while before it disappeared.

PixelMum Fri 31-Jan-14 09:57:02

Oh, good! I'm very glad to hear it. Thx, LFS smile

It would appear from the varying comments that if you're lucky enough to get some good guys allocated to your job, then you'll be delighted, and a satisfactory outcome will be had by all; others haven't been quite so fortunate, clearly. Just seems a shame that the sub-contractors are not vetted and monitored adequately so that everyone is happy. This is surely simply good business sense.

RosieMe Fri 31-Jan-14 12:40:55

Econoloft sent round a couple of their potential customers a few months back to view our loft (not quite sure why they thought we would give a good recommendation, but internal communication has never been Econoloft's strong point and so I assume that the sales and marketing team hadn't been informed that we were unlikely to give a glowing report).

Anyway, we told this couple that if their conversion was a simple one then Econoloft could probably manage the job in a reasonably satisfactory fashion. However, if anything non-standard crops up, either at the design or construction stage, then that's when things are likely to fall apart. So Lfs2126 you may well have had a good experience, but I think you're one of the lucky ones.

PixelMum Fri 31-Jan-14 16:15:17

Econoloft sent round a couple of their potential customers a few months back to view our loft (not quite sure why they thought we would give a good recommendation, but internal communication has never been Econoloft's strong point and so I assume that the sales and marketing team hadn't been informed that we were unlikely to give a glowing report).

Oh, RosieMe - if you weren't going through such trauma, that is actually quite amusing!
Good luck with your remedial works. During one of the many telephone conversations I had with their offices, I was told they "didn't have time" to come and fix our numerous issues. In the end we had to get the Federation of Master Builders involved (I'm not even sure they're members any longer, but I could be wrong) as well as independent reports from third parties.
My heart goes out to you, it really does - so stressful!

RosieMe Sun 16-Feb-14 23:58:38

Well an Econoloft contractor was meant to visit us last week to discuss the remedial work required on our loft. Needless to say that he didn't turn up and didn't give an explanation. One of the things we want them to fix is this overhang, which looks like it was constructed by a school boy with an unsteady hand:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1/1920318_10152207225236950_2041811849_n.jpg

PigletJohn Mon 17-Feb-14 00:13:25

you didn't pay the extra for having it painted, then?

RosieMe Mon 17-Feb-14 00:21:04

Don't mind so much about it being painted, but it would be nice if it was at least sealed in correctly - you can see daylight from inside, and the void space is damp and cold. If we're really unlucky we could also end up with birds/wasps/bats nesting in the gaps.

Runn3r Sat 22-Feb-14 23:05:13

Hi Pixelmum,

I'm also considering taking my issues up with the Federation of Master Builders (yes, they are still members!) or even taking them to the small claims court. Our loft was completed a few years ago and we have been beset with constant problems. Wondering whether going down this route actually worked in getting your problems fixed properly? Appreciate any advice you may be able to share.
Thanks!

RosieMe Sat 01-Mar-14 03:17:47

After another fortnight of being ignored by Econoloft I'm considering approaching TrustMark.

Runn3r, what problems have you had?

allthatglittersisnotgold Mon 03-Mar-14 14:10:54

I personally appreciated the advice re Econoloft and others. It helped me not approach a bigger company but find a trusted local builder for ours.

I think if people have had a bad experience unless the company has been totally rebranded and new management then people would beinterested and grateful to know. I don't think it is on either for a fair opinion to be deleted, that kind of advice was invalubale for me when we were looking for someone late last year.

thinkingaboutfostering Mon 03-Mar-14 18:50:48

We had a great experience with econoloft. It was about 13 years ago now but my parents decided to convert our loft into two rooms one each for my sister and I. Work started in the November and was completed by Christmas. DM was the lead builder on the job and was fantastic throughout. They finished the job off on Xmas eve (ahead of schedule) so that me and my sister could be in our new rooms for Xmas. Job really well done. Sorry to hear others have had problems but our experience was positive.

Morrisbum Wed 02-Apr-14 17:01:32

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now