does anyone know approx cost to demist a window

(12 Posts)
nikkershaw Mon 20-Sep-10 14:29:09

iykwim! double glazed seal has gone in two windows can they de-mist them easily? how do they do it?

LinenBasket Mon 20-Sep-10 14:31:13

ooh interested in this as i have a couple which have gone the same way. DH actually took the window out and did it himself, but it was soon back again.

fitflopqueen Mon 20-Sep-10 20:42:48

we have had several mist up, find a local glazer and take the frame to them, last pane cost about £30, was a bedroom windown.

I asked several UPVC companies if they could take it apart and repair the seal and they all sucked their teeth and said No.

We ended up having two double-glazed panels replaced (not the entire window, just a panel in it). They were on the large side, cost about £200 for both.

teta Tue 21-Sep-10 20:15:37

I have been told this as well.Its impossible to produce a lasting repair-is it?

MrsBartlet Tue 21-Sep-10 21:25:15

We had 3 smallish panes done by a local glazier earlier in the year but it wasn't upvc double glazing but double glazing in a wooden frame. It cost about £160 in total. I'd get several quotes though, as our next nearest quote was £100 more than that and the third quote was an unbelievable £200 more!

LadyBiscuit Tue 21-Sep-10 21:27:38

I don't think it's possible with UPVC (I have been told) - they have to replace the whole unit but it's cheaper than having a whole new window with frame.

Pain isn't it? I'm quite glad to be moving somewhere without double glazing (despite the fact that it's going to be chillier!)

fitflopqueen Tue 21-Sep-10 22:39:08

Ah replacing panel units only works with wood, maybe that is why ours was not expensive, easier to deal with.

windowsandwalls Tue 21-Sep-10 22:48:31

Check to see if your windows are still under warranty - you may be able to get this done foc!

Fizzylemonade Tue 21-Sep-10 22:57:45

I have just had new UPVC windows fitted and watched them get fitted. There is the frame and then the sealed glass panels that they insert into the frame once the frame is fitted.

The company who fitted mine said if they mist up (my old ones not the new ones) they can replace/repair (I think it was replace) the glass panel so you don't have to fork for an entire new window.

Mine is a local company that lots of builders use. I'm in Yorkshire.

KatieMacc Fri 25-Jan-13 08:42:57

You probably had this issue fixed ages ago but we were having a lot of problems with one double glazed window in particular that kept on misting up, I think there was a problem with the actual unit? It was a big window and we had it fixed and the condensation removal for less than £100 and it is guaranteed for 10 years so it worked out much cheaper than replacing the whole window. We're down in Portsmouth FYI.

ISeeSmallPeople Fri 25-Jan-13 10:28:13

Just ask a window company to change the pane. As long as its not a metal one they can do it. UPVC or wood is fine, UPVC easier as wood will probably need repainting after.
I had 24 replaced ( not all misted, but I hated the fake lead effect) for £900.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now