ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Group 1,2,3 Isofix car seat - do they exist?

(13 Posts)
r9buckl Mon 19-Apr-10 14:05:15

I'm looking for a Group 1,2,3 car seat that has Isofix and can't seem to find any. They are all seatbelt only. Plenty of Isofix Group 1 or Group 2-3 but none spanning the range. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

MegBusset Mon 19-Apr-10 14:13:17

I don't think such a thing exists -- spent ages looking for one for DS1 who is just 3. In the end we went for a Jane Montecarlo Plus which is Isofix and suitable for 3+. It's seatbelt only but the sides are adjustable and he seems to fit well in there.

What age DC do you need the seat for?

r9buckl Mon 19-Apr-10 14:16:34

DS is 2.5yrs but is tall and I suspect will grown out of his current Group 1 before he is heavy enough for a Group 2-3, so I'm really after a tall Group 1 or, ideally, the mythical isofix G1-3....

nicm Mon 19-Apr-10 19:01:42

does it really ahve to be isofix? car seats are just as safe if installed with a seatbelt if they are fitted correctly.

the only time i prefer to use the isofix seat is if mine or dps parents are fitting the seat and we're not there to check it.

r9buckl Tue 20-Apr-10 09:05:09

I prefer Isofix as easier to install, plus when the seat is in booster seat mode you don't need to keep remembering to clip the seat in with the seatbelt when it is unoccupied, it just stays put with the isofix (don't want an unsecured seat flying about in the event of a crash!).

justforinfo Sun 19-Dec-10 21:56:41

Hey all...

I'm a child seat fitter for Halfords and I don't believe there is a group 1-2-3 isofix seat. I've been looking for a while too since a customer requested one. I am not sure why this is, it may be due to the need for deep side impact protection for younger children whilst retaining the booster part to enable the seat to be suitable to the age of 11/12.

While Isofix is the absolute safest option for your child and there should be no compromise on this, it is equally unsafe to keep them in a seat they have outgrown due to their height or weight. If your child has reached 15kg's or the back of their head is at the top of their group 1 seat then they are usually able to move up to a group 2-3 seat. I WOULD NOT put a child of 15kg's (approx 4 yrs) on a booster seat yet - go for a high back booster which you can get with isofix. The car seat belt will need to be level with the child's shoulder.

It is a good idea to take your child with you when buying a new seat as you can check they are suitable for it (giving the child's age at this stage is pointless as every child is so different in height and weight) For a group 1-2-3 seat I would recommend the following (all seat belt fitted)

Generally Best Price - The Graco Nautilus or Britax Evolva 1-2-3

Comfort and safety - Recaro Young Sport

Last pointer - I personally NEVER recommend a group 1-2-3 seat for a child of 9mths/9kg's. When your child is first going forward facing they need to have a seat with a decent recline on it to provide support to their spine and neck. If you have an ISOFIX compatible car and can afford an ISOFIX seat then get one! If not go for a group 1 seat with a seat belt tensioner - such as the Maxi Cosi Priori XP or the Maxi Cosi TOBI.

Also...always check that your car is safety tested for the isofix seat with the manufacturer. Just because your car is isofix doesn't mean it'll immediately be a safe fit (I've had alot of people be suprised at this when advising on seats so thought i'd best add it!)

Hope this is helpful!

The only one I have seen is a jane with the extend Which is a cushion type thing that goes on the child lap then both bits of the belt go through it.

It wasn't available when we were in that situation so I took my child round and sat her in all the seats until I found one that had the longest back. We go the duo britax. At that age they don't grow as fast as they have been and don't put on as much weight. so you may be ok.

I did lots of looking so I new what to get when I had to.

When I was looking for the 2 3 seat I didn't like the jane as wasn't sure it was hard wearing enough was worried about the nobs on the back for adjusting it. So we now have the britax kidfix which they both think is fab.

I know its not issofix but have you looked at the britax two way elite when used on a three point seat belt the harness goes for a longer age. I didn't know about it when I was looking but It may have been a better buy as it lases longer. enabling your child to be bigger when they go in to a booster with back.

erpuk Fri 24-Dec-10 23:21:51

Know this may be a little late, but there is now a Group 123 Isofix seat, the Concord Transformer T Pro Booster Seat. This gets good reviews as it has the impact cushion. Hope this helps someone else looking for this.

realise this is an oldish thread, but to add to the suggestions

We have the Jane Montecarlo Plus which, although is a stage 2,3 seat, can also be a stage 1 seat if used with the Xtend impact cushion. We use the cushion with my DD who is almost 4, but a very petite 15Kg.

Also Mamas & Papas do the Cybex Solution X, which is a similar affair, using an impact cushion for the earlier stages. Has less of a recline though.

TRLChildSafetyCentre Mon 31-Jan-11 15:39:59

Under the current Regulation for Child restraint systems, it is not possible to obtain approval for an ISOFIX child restraint larger than group 1.
Only group 1 child restraints can be approved as "Universal" (this means that they should be usable in any vehicle that has Universal approval of its ISOFIX anchorages.
Any group 0 or group 0+ child seats will have "semi-universal approval"( this means that they will only fit in a selection of vehicles AND they will come with a vehicle list).
You will also find group 2 products on the market that use the adult belt as their main attachment to the vehicle and may also make use of other attachment systems available in the vehicle, for instance the ISOFIX anchorages. These car seats will have "Universal approval" for use with ONLY the seat belt and possible "semi-universal" approval, where they attach with the addition of the ISOFIX anchorages (these semi-universal products must have a vehicle list).

monkeymiss Sun 01-Jan-12 21:36:15

Just doing some research into car seats. If anyone comes across this old thread during their research, just to say the wonderful car seat makers kiddy do a 1/2/3 isofix seat, the guardianfix pro. The non-isofix version is a which best buy. I have had the kiddy infinity pro group 1 car seat and would highly recommend it.

www.kiddy.de/en/childrens-car-seats/9months-12years/kiddy-guardianfix-pro.html

mdllewis Mon 23-Jun-14 10:11:03

www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/productdisplay0_10751_-1_240717_10001#pr-header-back-to-top-link

This is a 123 seat and I've had it for a year - excellent seat and cheap at �70 (usually �100 but offers at kiddicare regularly).

No recline but if you can live without it then OK.

enjoy.

Harrie1618 Tue 20-Sep-16 16:07:03

Hi
I have just brought a Ladybird 123 seat. I got it from a catalogue but it hasn't come with a manual. I have managed to fit it but I can't work out how it reclines which it says it does. I've have tried looking online for the manual but can't find it. Can anyone help me please.

Thank you in advance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now