half decent childrens music cds - do they exist?

(31 Posts)
samuel447 Tue 05-Jan-10 13:22:12

I'm looking to do a cd overhaul as I am just so sick of the nursery rhyme cds we have on in the car - and the kids are getting too old for these now. Does anyone have any suggestions for any childrens cd's that are reasonable and not nursery rhymes.. think St winifreds school choir for 2010!!!!

LadyG Tue 05-Jan-10 13:27:29

Do your own playlist-ours includes Yellow Submarine, ABC (Jackson 5), Starman (Bowie) -they love it (4 and 1)!
If you must have CDs some guy called Raffi (iI think American) keeps coming up on our Last FM 'kids music" selection he sounds OK.

HarktheHeadlessAngelsSing Tue 05-Jan-10 13:27:51

Charlie and Lola's Best Music CD ever or something I love it!! DS1 age 4.6 does too.

NoahAndTheWhale Tue 05-Jan-10 13:31:36

Putumayo do good CDs smile

jamaisjedors Tue 05-Jan-10 13:34:30

I'm looking for some too - The DS have some French ones from the library that they are singing around the house and I would love some English non-nursery rhymes too...

paulaplumpbottom Tue 05-Jan-10 13:37:27

I bet you would be suprised how much of the music you already own they would love. My daughter loves: Jack Johnson, Bob Marley, Michael Jackson, and Abba amongst others. She begs for Green Day but I have to be so selective about which songs she hears. Its good to introduce your children to real music.

BertieBotts Tue 05-Jan-10 13:37:53

Why do children have to have special music? Just make a CD with a load of your favourite songs on (you can usually download radio edits to cut out swearing if you want) and get them singing along to that. You are less likely to go mad and they will grow up with good music taste grin

BertieBotts Tue 05-Jan-10 13:38:42

Oh another suggestion if you really want "separate" music is to buy soundtracks from famous musicals.

MattSmithIsNotMyLoveSlave Tue 05-Jan-10 13:47:36

My DCs love Whaddaya Think Of That (the Laurie Berkner Band).

flimflammum Tue 05-Jan-10 13:47:49

We've all enjoyed Big Songs for Little Ones, which is funky hip-hoppy jazzy versions of children's songs.

MissClavel Tue 05-Jan-10 13:51:05

They Might Be Giants - this one is brilliant smile

meltedmarsbars Tue 05-Jan-10 13:54:35

We have one called All-time Childrens Classics which includes things like The Runaway Train and the Guy Who Found the Lost Chord and Leaning on a Lampost etc but I can't find it online atm.

bogie Tue 05-Jan-10 13:55:51

We have tom paxton cd's for the kids they love them like this one but we have the older cd's from when dp was young

jamaisjedors Tue 05-Jan-10 13:55:57

They don't HAVE to have special music, and of course it's less wearing to have them listen to "normal" stuff, but my two are learning English from me and I would like them to be able to hear the words and sing the songs - "children's" songs are often a bit more repetitive and catchier?

I heard that they they might be giants one was good. Musicals is a good idea too - thanks.

kazookazoo Tue 05-Jan-10 13:58:35

Second vote for Raffi (Canadian actually) we have loads of his songs on MP3, 'bananaphone' is brilliant

Aranea Tue 05-Jan-10 13:59:28

Try Dan Zanes. His music is for children, but it is good and catchy and he has very cool special guests on his albums - Nick Cave, Deborah Harry...

lowrib Tue 05-Jan-10 14:03:05

Here's "7 8 9" from the Bare Naked Ladies' children's album "Snacktime"

NoahAndTheWhale Tue 05-Jan-10 14:05:53

Bananaphone is on one of the putumayo cds smile

ja9 Tue 05-Jan-10 14:07:17

Some great ideas here. We're big fans of soundtracks of children's movies - jungle book, toy story etc.

exexpat Tue 05-Jan-10 14:25:05

Another vote for Barenaked Ladies (not just their kids' music) and They Might Be Giants here, but my DCs prefer the first TMBG CD: No! Good for car journeys, but also has some fun stuff you can play if you put the CD in the computer. Also, the series of CDs called For the Kids (One, Too! and Three - might even be a four by now) are quite cool - songs for kids done by real bands here.

whoopstheregoesmymerkin Tue 05-Jan-10 14:30:57

Another vote for they Might be Giants, we have 'Here Come the ABCs'
Rockin'!

lowrib Tue 05-Jan-10 15:06:23

There's some great kids music on Youtube.

I love It's A Big World by Renee and Jeremy - lovely animation too.

But I think my favourite is the Turkish Lullaby
The music, and the animation are absolutely beautiful. My DS (age 1) and I love it.

I wish I could understand it though! Can anyone translate it for us?

accessorizequeen Tue 05-Jan-10 19:49:29

We (me, 6yo ds & 3yo ds) all absolutely love Sandra Boynton's Philadelphia Chickens Tis brilliant, I find myself humming the tunes all day. She's done two other book/cd's as well but haven't tried those yet. I particularly love Kevin Bacon singing the title song grin

duckyfuzz Tue 05-Jan-10 19:52:25

we have this its fantastic

pofarced Tue 05-Jan-10 20:00:00

playsongs.co.uk/here These musicians make really lovely cds for children. Very special.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now