Has anyone had wooden furniture professionally stripped/dipped?

(10 Posts)
morningpaper Tue 28-Jun-05 20:14:04

Has anyone had wooden furniture professionally stripped/dipped? I have an old oak bookcake with dark varnish on it and I'd like it stripped. I don't want to do it myself as the chemicals are so nasty and I've not got the space. How much does it cost to get it professionally done and how does it come out? Any tips welcome.

MrsGordonRamsay Tue 28-Jun-05 20:16:29

I don't know about a bookcase, but I do know that with doors you run the risk of them becoming warped.

Not much help sorry

MrsGordonRamsay Tue 28-Jun-05 20:16:52

LGJ that is

docket Tue 28-Jun-05 20:24:59

have had some doors done and they are fantastic and not damaged at all. i think it cost about £15 a door. pretty sure that cold dipping (i think that's right but not 100%) is less harsh and so less likely to ruin what's underneath the varnish

morningpaper Tue 28-Jun-05 20:30:25

Not too bothered about ruining it as it was given to me, but I'd like it to be cheapy. How did you find the place you had it done docket?

docket Tue 28-Jun-05 20:36:08

yellow pages. possibly 'door stripping' category but not sure, it was a while back. try yell.co.uk?

expatinscotland Tue 28-Jun-05 20:45:30

I have. WORTH IT! I paid extra for a service that provided uplifting and delivery and that was well worth it.

Polgara2 Tue 28-Jun-05 20:53:13

Yes we had our fire surround done when we moved in (going back 12 years mind!) but it was well worth it and it still looks excellent.

SoupDragon Tue 28-Jun-05 21:23:33

Dipping can loosen the joints so be careful. Hand stripping is safer but more expensive.

We had our doors dipped in our old house and they looked fab but they were bigger when we got them back and they never quite fitted properly again.

Lynn74 Sat 09-Mar-13 22:34:10

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now