Boys trousers with small waist (for a skinny 3 year old)?

(17 Posts)
gsc Tue 15-Sep-09 14:04:02

Trying to find some trousers to fit DS who is 3. He's v skinny so all the trousers we find have a huge waist (vs leg length) and fall down.

Tried John Lewis (which also have Levis, Timberland etc etc), Mothercare, Next, M&S and they all have huge waists. They make him look a bit like this!

Even with the waist adjustments on max, they either fall down or are too bunched up and he finds them uncomfortable. A belt is no good as it would stop him going to the toilet on his own.

Managed to find some funky combats with elasticated waist in BHS, but we need to find some more.

Any ideas

kellyatbabyguds Tue 15-Sep-09 14:40:57

My four year old has this problem he is very skinny but has really long legs and I find Asda are the best for him they have a good selection with elasticated waists and the adjusters on as well.

mum2samandalex Tue 15-Sep-09 17:34:17

second asda and also ive brought ds some belts from matalan

allaboutme Tue 15-Sep-09 17:35:58

My DS is the same, he is 4 and very skinny and tall.
I found some jeans in Next with big turn ups.
Bought them in age 2-3 that fits lovely round the waist and un picked the turn ups.
Perfect!

Pumpkin patch do fairly skinny fit cords (don't know about their jeans) and were good length on ds1. Also gap & h&m I found to be pretty good for him.

Pannacotta Tue 15-Sep-09 20:48:55

I find M&S good for tall and skinny 4 year old DS1, esp the trousers with elasticated waists.

Pannacotta Tue 15-Sep-09 20:52:21
nigglewiggle Tue 15-Sep-09 20:52:31

Vertbaudet do a limited range of slim fitting trousers. Got some raspberry cords for skinny DD1 and they are a really nice fit.

cockles Tue 15-Sep-09 20:54:31

Vertbaudet are the best, all cut small even if not called slim fitting - I have a skinny one too, M&S next etc all much too big. Gap are also good.

chipsandtart Tue 15-Sep-09 20:55:05

red herring from debhamnams have a smaller waist on then

bran Tue 15-Sep-09 20:55:59

Most of DS's trousers come from H&M, Pumpkin Patch or Mini Mode. M&S are only ok if they specifically say "slim-fit". Vertbaudet fit well but aren't great quality.

I find I buy a size smaller from H&M, a size larger from Vertbaudet and his actual age from Pumpkin Patch and Mini Mode.

blithedance Tue 15-Sep-09 21:05:46

Gap have a lot of jeans in a slim cut, not sure if they extend to Baby Gap but age 4 up is a lot of choice.

Mothercare, M&S, Tesco, Boden all vast IME.

The other thing is that Asda maybe still do a line of very cheap £2 navy tracky bottoms which have a really skimpy cut and a small waist. I had 3 pairs of those for DS2, great for nursery/knocking around in.

Agree Verbaudet are good, the only ones we had were from a charity shop but what a find!

Next can be OK if you choose carefully - the elasticated waist ones like these for example usually have working drawstrings and are better than jeans styles.

Megglevache Tue 15-Sep-09 21:07:43

Gap and H&M were always fab for us.

gsc Tue 15-Sep-09 21:16:24

thanks so much for all the tips - lots for me to try now, and glad i'm not the only one whose son's trousers fall down every time he runs (which he finds most amusing of course...)

macherie Tue 15-Sep-09 21:20:36

Zara trousers are good for my skinny boy.

Megglevache Tue 15-Sep-09 21:21:18

TU range in sainsburys is on the skimpy cut too, I foudn they were perfect for my very skinny and tall ds at 3 yrs and cheap and good quality too!

brimfull Tue 15-Sep-09 21:22:47

yes same nightmare here

gap slimfit and h&m

gap slimfit are hard to find ime

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now