IKEA Minnen extendable bed or similar?

(20 Posts)
npg1 Sat 29-Aug-09 21:17:24

Hi, Just wondering if anyone has one of these extendable beds from Ikea?

I am thinking of one for DD as she has nearly outgrown her cot bed but her bedrrom is very small. I thought she could have the bed extended but not at full lenght for another few years by which time we will have hopefully moved!

Are they any good? What is the mattress like as obvioulsy have to have their mattress as it's in 3 bits!

piprabbit Sun 30-Aug-09 01:03:35

My DD has a Minnen bed, and loves it.

We bought it with a view to keeping it short and extending later, but in the end she has always slept in it fully extended - so sorry, I'm not sure how good the 3 part mattresses are.

npg1 Sun 30-Aug-09 12:12:37

ok thanks, so what mattress do you have on your DD ones?

piprabbit Sun 30-Aug-09 14:13:49

We have a full length IKEA mattress (not cheapest but not most expensive either).

It's worn very well (3years old now), and is comfy (I've slept on it on occassion).

shootfromthehip Sun 30-Aug-09 14:16:14

We bought that bed and the extendable mattress for DD. The mattress is crap but the bed is good. Would maybe try to keep it extended and then you can buy a better mattress than the basic one.

StrikeUpTheBand Sun 30-Aug-09 14:23:28

We bought the Minnen and the Mattress in 3 parts and think it's ok. We bought the mattress topper as well and maybe that helps?

TO be honest, with hindsight I'd have got one of the wooden ones as you can bang yourself badly on metal. However, it's a good hardwearing bed and DS loves it.

grin Sun 30-Aug-09 14:24:00

We got the mattress and the Leksvik bed and set it up just a couple of days ago. Bed is gorgeous and we have it at 'little' setting currently, a good transition from cot bed to bed. Mattress seems fine, wee one says it's comfy. It says it's sprung but doesn't feel it. I think when he gets a bit heavier/bigger we might have to look again to see if it's supportive enough. DS is in love with his Big Boy's bed and DH says was easy to put together!

Umlellala Wed 02-Sep-09 20:03:34

We have one of the wooden ones and the edges are really sharp!

3 part mattress (foam iirc) is fine. I have slept many nights on it (in two parts - am small smile)!

sammysamsam Wed 02-Sep-09 23:16:39

we also have the wooden bed (extendable) from ikea and ds at 3.5 sleeps on it v.comfy with the three part mattress. using only one big part at the mo. its fab cos when ds comes in with me when feeling poorly or having had a nightmare, hubby gets kicked out of our bed and sleeps in the ikea kids one - the best thing being, hes 6ft and sleeps very comfortably on it fully extended with all three parts in. swears by it- saying it's the best sleep he gets hmmit's IDEAL for small rooms. I love ours.

morocco Wed 02-Sep-09 23:20:14

we just set up the minnen bed and it's great for dd. mattress not so great but I might buy a custom made one as they're not that expensive if you have a quick google
tbh mattress is fine for now as she's so light

sammysamsam Thu 03-Sep-09 12:41:59

actually- i was gonna add to my comment above- the mattress is actually quite 'thin' but ds doesnt feel it- however if i lay on it, i can feel the metal rods of his bedguard from under the mattress.. but like morocco says, it'll do for now as he's so light

sammysamsam Thu 03-Sep-09 12:42:01

actually- i was gonna add to my comment above- the mattress is actually quite 'thin' but ds doesnt feel it- however if i lay on it, i can feel the metal rods of his bedguard from under the mattress.. but like morocco says, it'll do for now as he's so light

ilovegrapenuts Fri 04-Sep-09 20:31:35

What does an IKEA extendable bed measure in its 'middle' setting? Website only gives the shortest and longest. Am hoping that the middle length will be a compromise in DD's tiny room.(She is in a junior bed at the moment) TIA

Umlellala Sat 05-Sep-09 08:19:22

Just measured for you, the whole bed is 153cm when at smallest, and the middle bit is 130cm. (I just dozed there while the dc played and was v comfy! grin)

Oops, hang on, just realised you said middle setting...

right, each section is 28cm, so 158cm + end of bed which is 12cm (for Vikare bed. Minnen might be slightly smaller iirc).

Hope that helps!

ilovegrapenuts Sat 05-Sep-09 15:23:21

Umlellala - now maths isn't my strongest subject... But I think you're telling me that the total length of the bed when on its middle setting is 130 + 28cm which is 158cm - but then I have to add 12cm for the end of the bed? Am I adding just one bed end or two?!hmm

Umlellala Sun 06-Sep-09 11:28:22

sorry. i know it's confusing. You put the sides down to extend the bed for the one we have, so just one end if it's in the middle setting.

SMALLEST: mattress 130 + two ends of 12cm = 154cm

MIDDLE: mattress 158 + one end of 12cm = 170cm

LARGEST: Mattress 186cm + no ends of bed = 186cm (maybe a couple of centimetres for side).

It's hard to explain without seeing the bed... this is the bed we have...

Umlellala Sun 06-Sep-09 11:41:46

Hang on, now am going mad... well, at least you know the size of the mattress so can see online how much extra the bed will add...

sorry for confusing you -and me grin

ilovegrapenuts Sun 06-Sep-09 22:16:30

Thanks Umlellala - I get the idea now - hadn't realised that your bed was one where you put the ends down. I now calculate we need to move the wall back in DD's bedroom by 10cm ...! Seriously, was trying to avoid putting the bed along the window wall, but looks as if it's the only option when she outgrows her junior bed.

Shashashan Tue 01-Feb-11 15:24:52

Hi I have the LEKSVIK on the middle setting, i just measured it it, 173 cm with mattrss (two sections) at 165cm.

BUT does any one know if it can be extended to any length??? I'm currently limited by the mattress sizes to three lengths, but i'd happily get a bit of foam cut if i thought it coudl extend it a bit (room measures 200cm and fully etended bed is 208cm so can't fully fully extend it!

I'd prefer to know if its possible bofore going at it - im hopeless with DIY!

Have had bed for 3 yrs and very happy

clairaloulah Fri 01-May-15 12:58:18

Hello, I realise this is an old thread but am hoping someone is still using it! I am a very short but very round lady and looking for a bed for a tiny room (200cm x 244cm - it's a cupboard, really!). I am thinking of buying this to have at the 170 setting but I read the comments about the mattress being poor and so I am wondering about buying two of the mattresses. Does anyone have an opinion about whether this would be a good idea or not?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now