Where can I buy toddler boys H fitting sandals?

(27 Posts)
ihatemyjob Tue 02-Jun-09 12:50:33

My son is 2 1/4 and I couldn't get sandals to fit him last year. Clarks make H fitting shoes but not sandals (why?). Russell and Bromley would not sell me any. A pair of geox ones looked like they fitted to me but they said they would rub. In John Lewis they told me he had wide feet, a high instep and fat ankles! Poor boy has slimmed down a bit since then but is still an H fitting. I bought him some crocs but they rub on the inside where the croc logo rivet thing is.

I can't face trudging around all the shops (and where I live is between loads od different shopping centres none of which have all the shoes shops) with an increasingly tantrum prone boy. There are a couple of posh kids shoes shops near me but have no idea how much expensive shoes cost.

Last year he had shoes all summer but luckily it was very cold anyway.

Anyone found anything that looks huge?

Thanks

larmertkudr Sun 07-Apr-13 17:08:15

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

ljc7 Sat 20-Jun-09 21:05:50

oohhh same probs here. DS1 is now a 3H (adult) at only just 6. DS2 is a dainty 1F at almost 5 but DS3 is a 7I at just 2. I didn't even know that I or J existed. You certainly can't get them as shoes. Well I need trainers for DS1 in an H fitting but more importantly sandals if poss for DS3 who has a very high instep and very wide feet. We are also nowhere near shops here, so would need to try online....and ideas?

Thanks,

Lucy

ihatemyjob Thu 18-Jun-09 15:21:43

I just got the ones from footshopping.com. Thanks so much Nicm. They are great in the length and the straps fit me. I think perhaps they should be a teeny bit wider at the top (my foot is not wholly encased in the shape of the birkenstick sole) but they seem comfy and with my feet and bunion it may be as good as I get. Its funny that the actual birkenstock shop in London does not go up to as big sizes as you get online. they come from Germany so thers more postage but they were very quick. I bought the green ones
www.footshopping.com/main.cfm?wgID=931&MI=6&MID=19841

amazonianwoman Sun 14-Jun-09 20:47:26

Ihatemyjob - the papillo gizehs are bigger fitting than the normal plain Birkenstock gizehs, much roomier. I have both styles - I have to buckle the papillos on the tightest hole whereas the Birkenstock are on second last hole.

maxybrown Sun 14-Jun-09 19:36:04

ihatemyjob - the max ones you talk about sound nice, please tell me more!! Hope you see this, I HATE velcro with a passion so buckles sound good! Is that the make???

ihatemyjob Mon 08-Jun-09 14:55:44

I think they may have been the gizeh (the toe thong one) but the womens 8s were too narrow in the foot bed. I tried the mens 7 (buckle didn't do up) as that was what the person advised. But I should have perhaps tried the mens 8s too. Nicm posted about footshopping.com. They had lots of bigger sized girly thong ones in that papillo range. By their measurements am between a 42 and 43 so I may try and send off for them. I thought I was 41(8)!

I have been wearing mary jane crocs but have broken the back strap for the second time. The 1st one the online place replaced for me. I found them comfy the first year and loved the fact they didn't make my feet sweat and didn't smell. But my foot seemed to slip a lot onto the outside side when I wore them. I think I have a weird walking style to add to my many other foot problems!

fishie Mon 08-Jun-09 14:35:44

ihatemyjob ds and i have got feet like that too. forget about clarks, it doesn't really matter whether he's an H C or Z if they don't have the shoes, it is a gimmick. independent shoe shop def the way to go.

what sort of birks did you try? i find the gizeh very good and adjustable for high arches. make sure your toes are inside the rim bit. also crocs are different sizes and shapes depending on which country they've been made in so worth checking different colours.

ihatemyjob Mon 08-Jun-09 14:29:33

He also came up as a g not h on their scale. So hopefully he will not inherit my clown feet.

ihatemyjob Mon 08-Jun-09 14:28:57

I bought some sandals today hurrah! Thanks for all the suggestions. I did not know ecco did kids shoes and have never heard of ricosta.

I went to an independent kids shoe shop which I had though only sold desginer type wildly expensive shoes. Some geox and a fake birkenstock type called max and may fitted himSo exciting to have a choice. The geox were nearly £40 so I got the others at £22. They seem ok but have a hard sole which I hadn't really considered if I had not read it here! They were in a lovely bright red too and had buckles. I get so fed up of velcro straps getting covered in grass and fluff etc.

Now I will start looking for me, Tried birkenstocks too narrow/small for my high instep!

PortAndLemon Wed 03-Jun-09 22:13:33

Or Teva, they are pretty wide.

agree with Ecco. just got ds2 a pair and they're very generously sized.

and birkenstocks are wide too, ds1 has those :D

maxybrown Wed 03-Jun-09 22:08:38

Ooh ecco, have just recently discovered them for children, look really comfortable too. Ricosta....will look into it thanks.

CMOTdibbler Wed 03-Jun-09 20:53:30

Ecco and Ricosta are v v good for wide feet - DS has H/J feet and the independant shop we go to have no problem fitting him.

No more expensive than Clarks and better quality too

maxybrown Wed 03-Jun-09 14:27:52

yeah that's what i always thought, would never have though of those before seeing it on here.

nicolamumof3 Wed 03-Jun-09 14:21:10

im not sure about birkenstocks aren't the soles quite hard?

maxybrown Wed 03-Jun-09 14:13:21

I have same problem too and just went to look at birkenstocks as hate clarks and desperately need sandals for him but birkenstocks say that may not be suitable for children under 3!!!

nicolamumof3 Wed 03-Jun-09 13:30:26

i've had similar disastrous efforts getting sandals for my boys one is a g fitting one an e!

Clarks sandals only come in a G and Startrite only an F, so startrite will def be out for you. try clarks? the doodles sandles are nice and lighteight and only about £15.

nicm Wed 03-Jun-09 13:23:58

i second the birkenstocks. footshopping.com has the wide fitting for you and sell childrens shoes too. not sure if the children's come in wide though or just narrow and regular? ds is an h fitting but has just had his 1st pair of shoes-didn't know about the sandals though. was going to get him some too. will watch this thread,

spicemonster Tue 02-Jun-09 13:38:42

These are very similar to what my fat footed boy wears. Although you do have to be careful not to pinch their skin when you're doing them up blush

ihatemyjob Tue 02-Jun-09 13:31:15

thats an idea. I was looking at them recently for me but decided I would't be able to run after an absconding toddler in something without a strap round the back

thanks everyone for all the ideas.

katz Tue 02-Jun-09 13:25:23

the other you could try are birkenstocks - they are lovely and wide and very comfy

ihatemyjob Tue 02-Jun-09 13:06:06

Doodles were too small last year but maybe this year they may fit. I will have to actually bite the bullet and go shopping!

ihatemyjob Tue 02-Jun-09 13:03:46

I think Rusell and Bromley that startrite did not fit him last year as they were came up narrow.

Will have a look in next. I have awfully wide feet too and have bought so many shoes that hurt over the years that I hav eno confidence in my ability to judge

spicemonster Tue 02-Jun-09 13:01:09

My DS is an H fitting and I have got him some Clarks Doodles with Velcro straps which are good because they're adjustable. You could try those?

nellie12 Tue 02-Jun-09 13:00:27

Well maybe startrite? He's got the same feet as ds2 who is in a pair of clarks sandals at mo but they are a G fitting. They have 2 velcro straps rather than being shoelike so dont have to squash his feet.

Now if anyone knows where I can get trainers for him in a H fitting without spending a fortune..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now