Best Vacuum Cleaner for pet hair? I am desperate!

(23 Posts)
Grumpyoldcaaaaaaaa Fri 29-May-09 11:28:35

I have a border collie with longish hair, she sheds like a super-sheddy thing. My vacuum just does not cope with the hair. We've had a Henry, a Vax, an Alix, none of them last very long or pick up much hair.

Would an upright be better? Does anyone have any recommendations, please?

We have very good quality carpets (not being smug, they're hideous, think swirly green and brown patterns, left by old lady who had house before us and yet to be replaced), they do rather cling on to the hair though.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance smile

We have a Miele - there's one specifically called a Cat & Dog, though we actually got a different version then bought a turbo-brush for it. You really need one with some form of brush to pull the hairs out of the carpet, anything which just glides over the surface isn't going to do the trick.

Ours is brilliant at getting long hair up (thgouh in our case it's 2 long-haired people rather than pets who cause the problem blush), but you then have to cut the hairs off the brush quite regularly as they get wrapped right round. Slightly shorter hair like a dog may not be so bad for that though...

Grumpyoldcaaaaaaaa Fri 29-May-09 14:24:35

Ooh thank you - I've just twigged that I think that may be the one my mum has (could have just asked my mum hmm). That one works well with cat hair.

And it's sturdy so could withstand the frenzied assaults the dog commits upon any vacuum cleaner.

herbietea Fri 29-May-09 14:28:49

Message withdrawn

ohdearwhatamess Fri 29-May-09 19:18:57

Dyson animal here. Used more on hard floors than carpet here though.

fluffydog Fri 29-May-09 21:40:52

Get a Dyson we have one and also a collie and it picks up his hair very well.

sazm Sat 30-May-09 12:55:29

we have an electrolux (the white and blue one) ot was about £50 and its great,we have a black carpet and it picks up hair great,

TheProvincialLady Sat 30-May-09 12:59:04

Our Dyson animal does our long haired cat fur very well, and my long post baby moulting too.

TheProvincialLady Sat 30-May-09 13:00:28

Also an occasional steam clean (we have a vax one) helps a lot too, both with the hair and the smell general freshness.

ShinyPinkShoes Sat 30-May-09 13:00:52

I have a Dyson Animal and it's fab, very pleased with it

Grumpyoldcaaaaaaaa Sun 31-May-09 20:46:02

Thank you everyone smile

DH has worked himself into a frenzy (he loves buying electrical goods), I think he's thinking 'Dyson'.

I have alarmingly thick and long hair too, so it has to be a superhero amongst vacuums (and I shall shortly be post-natal, fingers crossed, 11 days overdue today), so will be shedding like a good 'un too.

bornjoyful Thu 03-Feb-11 14:01:20

So ladies! all these dyson Animals- what model are they as apparently only the DC25 is ok and the others not so good- or are yours DC04, DC07 DC11 and DC14s too!

dickcheeseandthecrackers Thu 03-Feb-11 14:05:03

I have the DC07 and it's great. I have a long haired german shepherd and it's fantastic.

TallulahdoesthehulainHawaii Thu 03-Feb-11 15:32:18

Miele cat & Dog, we moved into a house with carpets and had our Dyson animal (albeit 4 years old). Within months the carpet was looking matted and horrible.

My mum has a Miele and I had tried it at their house. I did scoff at it, at first (it def doesn't look as swish as the Dyson).

It really is fantastic. As I said, it doesn't look great but my carpets look new and I am not having to forever try and unblock it from imaginary sources.

TallulahdoesthehulainHawaii Thu 03-Feb-11 15:33:10

Oh, and my Mum's is about 10 years old which swayed it for me.

saltcod Sat 05-Feb-11 14:50:04

Used to have the Dyson DC04 but bits kept breaking off.

After posting a similar question to the OP on mumsnet, I now have the Miele "pet" (slightly cheaper version of the cat & dog). It's fab - far less cumbersome than the dyson, although I miss being able to "see" the dirt/dust/hair that I've vacuumed up like you can in a dyson! However, the turbo brush is fab & it's so much lighter to use than my upright Dyson was. You can get the fabric dustbags on eBay - I bought 10 bags about 2 years ago & still have a few left. We have moulting cats & long-haired humans btw grin

supernana Sun 20-Feb-11 14:47:52

We have two Dysons one for upstairs and one for downstairs! They are great for dog hairs. Did you know you can get repairs done to it if things break off. IT usually is not too dear and better than having to buy a new one.

cheesesarnie Sun 20-Feb-11 14:52:20

i have the miele cat and dog which i brought after recommendations on mn.i love it(how sad that i love my hoover).

IlsaLund Sun 20-Feb-11 16:38:07

Another vote for the Dyson Animal. I think ours is a DC07 - it's going strong and we have had long haired dogs and cats and I have have v long thick hair as well.

Dyson aftercare is fab as well. We had a problem with ours and phoned to request a service at about 5pm - at 7.30am next morning the repair man phoned to say he was parked outside our house. He said that he could either come in immediately or go and have some breakfast and come back a bit later.

greewenfe Mon 21-Oct-13 02:28:53

I have a kirby, which does an amazing job, but I also just got this vacuum (arrived yesterday, haven't tried yet) b/c its bagless like a dyson so I'll use it for more day to day stuff, and the kirby for more thorough deep cleaning... kirby fills bags fast

Given the really high user rating (and people mention dog hair in reviews) and the hard to beat $75 price to my door, I got this
vacuumforpethairguide.com/miele-s7260-cat-dog-upright-vacuum-cleaner-review.html

From a review "I bought this vacuum as a secondary machine for light duty in some rooms. Our primary vacuum is a 6-year-old Dyson that is still working like a champ. For what this vacuum is... it's a great deal. I'm not sure if you can find a better machine on the market for 80 bucks or less. Its cyclone is very rudimentary, but it does have decent suction and vacuums almost as well as our Dyson. The attachments are decent for a vacuum that costs less than a hundred bucks and its overall design and build quality is impressive for a machine in its class. Bissell has really stepped up their game with these newer machines."

Kez6161 Thu 17-Jul-14 19:36:46

We have a Dyson animal and it does not work! We have one Akita which sheds hair continually. It is a nightmare as we have now resorted to getting a window wipe to floor to collect the worst of the hair before we vacuum. We are looking into getting a better hoover but not a clue which one to get as they all claim to do a brilliant job......

springlamb Thu 17-Jul-14 19:40:38

Golden Retriever house here. Very very thick fur and sheds his undercoat twice a year too.
We have a DC04 and a DC07 Origin. Both do the job extremely well, but I prefer the tool storage on the 07.

Gina1960 Tue 29-Jul-14 08:35:58

Need Hoover for dog hairs swaying towards the Miele s7260 I have mostly wooden floors and little carpet , is the Miele still better than the dyson?....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now