Is it true the Phil & Ted cocoon fits perfectly in the Maclaren XT, as a cheat carrycot for newborn?

(22 Posts)
Loulabella Mon 23-Mar-09 20:50:11

Just wondering if anyone else had heard this rumour before I spend money on the cocoon. Any other ideas on making the XT more newborn-friendly welcome!

Ledodgy Mon 23-Mar-09 21:00:37

I can check for you if you want I have the Maclaren XT (an older one though) and a P&T cocoon. Or is it only the latest Maclaren it's supposed to fit in?

Ledodgy Mon 23-Mar-09 21:07:27

Just checked and ten remembered we put te cocoon inthe loft. Does the new XT lie flat then because mine doesn't and it would need to lie flat using a cocoon and i'm not sure how you'd secure it as te P&T has high sides when it lies flat so the cocoon can't move. Wy not just get a Maclaren , a head hugger and cosy toes?

Ledodgy Mon 23-Mar-09 21:08:02

sorry i have a dodgy h key.

MinkyBorage Mon 23-Mar-09 21:09:12

I bet it does, but I can't see how you'd actually fix it in, so surely the cocoon could slide out. I can try for you as have both fairly handy

MinkyBorage Mon 23-Mar-09 21:10:15

I reckon the maclaran xt is pretty newborn friendly though anyway. It's all I had with dd1 and found it brilliant.

Loulabella Mon 23-Mar-09 21:41:09

Thanks Ledodgy and MinkyBorage. I have the new XT and it seems to lie ALMOST completely flat. I also wondered about how you'd secure the cocoon. I would have a go at making a strap to attach to the buggy harness if I thought it'd work but it's all guesswork. I saw a P & T cocoon being sold in the US and the seller was claiming it fits perfectly in the XT but no mention of how it was secured.

I hear what you're both saying about the XT being fine for newborns - I just thought the cocoon, with its carry handles would be really handy for out and about. If you ladies, with experience of both think its unfeasible/unnecessary, I will reconsider. Thanks for your advice - do the cosy toes work ok when they're so little? - they look so big

hettie Mon 23-Mar-09 21:49:31

hi there...... tis indeed v handy to be able to take lo in and out whilst asleep.
The techno has this
www.mothercare.com/Maclaren-Techno-XLR-Softcot-Champagne/dp/B001NWH0U2/sr=1-45/qid=1237844862/ref=sr _1_45/275-6481896-5737631?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=A2LBKNDJ2KZUGQ&n=42764041&mcb=core
wonder if it might fit?

suwoo Mon 23-Mar-09 21:52:14

I have a blue and grey cocoon for sale....much cheapness. wink

Loulabella Mon 23-Mar-09 21:59:10

Hettie, very interesting. I didn't know Maclaren did their own. I'm sure it would fit the XT and is more likely to get round the securing problem (I guess the harness system for both models is very similar). Shame it's so expensive - the only thing that would really put me off - but it's a big factor, especially knowing it would only get a few months use.

Loulabella Mon 23-Mar-09 22:02:30

suwoo - thanks for the offer, I will certainly bear it in mind. I'm still trying to figure out a) if it's actually possible to do what I'm proposing and b) really that useful.

Mummyfor3 Mon 23-Mar-09 22:11:24

I loved/still love my Mclaren Techno XLR for DS3 and used it from birth.
I had a sheepskin underneath him and him swaddled in blanket. I did initially not use harness (much to big for newborn) but zipped the cosytoes right up for added security. It worked v well and he slept for absolut hours in it after a walk when parked in the garden. And we are still using it - he is now 1. I just love how light McLarens are without feeling flimsy.
My "big" pram (Mutsy Urban Rider) is almost unused after 4 children (my niece used it too). Might be going cheap soon....wink

Phoenix Mon 23-Mar-09 22:12:25

Oooh interesting, i've got an XT for my baby due in July, a carry cot sounds a much lighter option that lugging a car seat around. Hope someone knows

LibrasJusticeLeagueofBiscuits Mon 23-Mar-09 22:15:36

had a newborn in an XLR, we added a sheepskin,buggysnuggle and head hugger and he was toasty and comfortable. The only time I would have thought the cot would have come in useful is when we got home from a walk and he was still asleep, but in those cases we just piled some blankets on him and left him in the garden! Personally I wouldn't splash out that much.

hackneybird Sat 06-Jun-09 19:12:11

Loulabella did you ever find out if the XT could take the P&T cocoon? I'm also considering getting an XT to use from birth, so an added bonuses for newborns would be most welcomed.

HB
xx

Roo29 Mon 17-Dec-12 14:19:11

Just in case anyone else is wondering if you can use alternatives to the phil and teds cocoon. We previously had a maclaren XLR carrycot for our first baby. I was delighted to find that it fits quite nicely in the Phil and teds.* I haven't had the second baby yet but I reckon it will be perfect. The maclaren carrycot has firmer sides and it is possibly a bit longer.

*I had to remove the plastic insert out of the footend to get it to fit

BikeRunSki Mon 17-Dec-12 14:35:56

I had a P&T cocoon which fitted perfectly on my. The Velcro loops the bottom of the Cocoon lined up.perfectly with the D rings sewn into the BJCM.

<not really that helpful >

BikeRunSki Mon 17-Dec-12 14:36:55

That should be, "fitted perfectly on my BJCM".

BikeRunSki Mon 17-Dec-12 14:43:01

That should be, "fitted perfectly on my BJCM".

peachypips Mon 17-Dec-12 14:51:27

I have a maclaren XLR soft cot carry cot for sale in 'black and Champagne' (like the one on the link) if anyone wants to buy it. Was planning to eBay it in new year but I'll sell it here if it's wanted. We bought it new for DS2 and he used it for four months, and it's immaculate. We don't smoke and have no pets... PM me if u want it!!!

peachypips Mon 17-Dec-12 14:56:51

I'll see how much they go for on eBay then undercut...

BieneMaja Tue 18-Dec-12 21:39:44

Pretty sure the XLR carrycot won't fit the XT I'm afraid. The XLR is considerably wider.

Without having tried it I would say that your best bet is the Graco soft carrycot. It also has a small wedge to compensate for the not-quite-flat laying seat.

I remember trying it in a stroller before but I can't remember which one it was. You can usually secure these cots to the d-rings on the base of the XT harness. You might be able to try it in toys r us.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now