Organised Mum stuff VS Filofax - which is best?

(18 Posts)
MarlaSinger Thu 12-Mar-09 17:36:18

I have an O.M. diary and it has failed to make me an Organised Mum. Will a Filofax do the job, or am I a lost cause?

Do you have and use and LOVE your Filofax? Why - sell them to me!

I have endless lists in my head and nowhere to keep everything so that I actually use it - things I need to do in the house, things coming up in the year, projects (sounds more interesting that it is), uni stuff...

Am I destined to a life of chaos and missed appointments?

Jajas Thu 12-Mar-09 17:43:25

I love my lifebook, it's the best thing since sliced bread. Used to have a filofax but I thing the OM diary much better to be honest, I write and keep absolutely everything in it.

MarlaSinger Thu 12-Mar-09 17:47:35

Really?? But it's so big. I have the pocket life book and just don't use it at all. Maybe electronic is the way to go then?

GreenBib Thu 12-Mar-09 17:48:31

i havea small one

Jajas Thu 12-Mar-09 17:49:50

it is enormous tis true, you just need a bigger bag grin! I couldn't live without it now (exaggerating wildly but you know what I mean)

supersalstrawberry Thu 12-Mar-09 17:49:55

Love my filofax, I have a handbag sized pink one (so it's easy to find in big handbags), wouldn't be without it, actually couldn't manage without it.

supersalstrawberry Thu 12-Mar-09 17:52:05

this one you can customise it, buy the inserts and put what you want in it.

Nontoxic Thu 12-Mar-09 18:04:46

I also have a small Filofax - although I don't keep it in my bag as I get a sore shoulder so have tiny bags. And am SAHM so not so crucial to keep it with me.

I do tend to overload the list-making space at the back, as I write in everything that catches my eye (websites, books, present ideas, days out, recipes etc) as well as the to do lists.

If you're really organized you can put your rotating menus in, with lists of ingredients, so when you're shopping and see something on offer, you can buy it together with ingredients for the meal (gleaned from a US de-cluttering book).

Like any system it relies on you acting on what you've written, which I've become rather slack at of late, but if you use it properly it's fantastic

The Flylady website sells a Control Journal which might be worth looking at.

MarlaSinger Thu 12-Mar-09 18:51:04

'Control Journal' shock that sounds like it would shout at you if you used the wrong colour ink in fact if it's a Flylady product I'd believe that it would!

Hmm, the Filofax appeals due to customising it, and adding pages etc also just changing the diary bit each year.

The trouble with electronic diaries/lists is that they're not in your face IYSWIM so easy to ignore - I have all kinds of uselessful apps on my ipod touch but I only ever use it for music and the internet.

Nontoxic Thu 12-Mar-09 22:44:05

Oh, can you play music on the itouch? I thought it was just for MN.

MarlaSinger Fri 13-Mar-09 08:13:52

I don't think the OM diary is any good for list making quite frankly, I am a big list maker and there's no space for it. But I had a filofax and found it really fiddly, nowhere near as good as a diary which the OM one is good. But might work better for you once you've customised it. Although it's bloomin heavy, wish they'd change the cover.
I'm largely using my iphone now for lists, the notes app is ok and I also use shopshop for groceries etc. Plus it has a calendar so I might just use that. Didn't like the electronic diary thingy I had before though (one with a stylus?) far too fiddly. The iphone is very useful though because light enough to carry everywhere.
have never found anything perfect for my incessant list making be interested to see what you decide on!

MarlaSinger Mon 16-Mar-09 14:08:04

Well
I have sorted out my iPod touch and now am using:
Calendar
Spend
ShopShop
Zenbe

and that is all I need!
Shopshop is brilliant so easy and clever and I love that you can move the order so all your fruit and veg is together etc
and Zenbe - I think it was 1.79 or so - MULTIPLE LISTS!

I know it has only been 3 days
but I feel more organised, y'know?

I would love a Filofax for a week then dump it due to carrying the thing around. My handbag is small and I am not prepared to change wink

ooh, shall look up spend and zenbe. I am nearly at the point of giving up my lifebook, so attached to my iphone now grin

sushistar Fri 03-Apr-09 01:06:02

I love Filofax. Love them - I have a few actually. I'm on their mailing list, and about 6 weeks ago they sent a request for people to trial a new Family Organiser they're going to launch. I replied to the email, forgot all about it, and then today a parcel arrived... It's a pink A5 filofax - http://www.filofax.co.uk/store/organiserdetails.asp?display=&sizeId=5&rangeId=84&dsizeId=5 - this one in rose - with specially printed inserts plus a claender with different bits for everyone in the family. For free! I was very excited!

Personally I have used a filofax since uni, and just can't get on with anything else. I tend to use a different size depending on my lifestyle at the time. At the moment I work from home, work 2 nights away from home, and care for my ds 4.5 days per week plus weekends. This means I'm really busy, but zipping around alot, so I'm actually using a Filofax mini - small enough for ANY handbag! I'll use the big A5 one I just got for free to be our central family diary, and my little mini can be just for me and my schedule / phone numbers.

Califrau Fri 03-Apr-09 02:30:30

you need to talk to Lord Dodo. He'll sort you out.

domesticnightmare Sat 01-Sep-12 22:10:15

this is probably a cold thread now but i found out something fab this week for all Organised Mum/Filofax addicts...
OM are now producing Filofax (personal sized) diary inserts and 2 or 3 (finance, addresses, meal planning etc.) other inserts in their own beautiful format
so i am off to fill my basket wink
enjoy

MoochaMee Sun 28-Apr-13 14:15:44

Not seen much Filofax chat here? So waking up an old thread smile
I love my Malden in personal size, and Lord Dodo rules in it ... had it quite awhile and don't know how I managed without it ..
Any other Filofaxy fans still on here?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now