What happens if a new sofa doesn't fit through the front door?

(48 Posts)
Phoenix Sun 01-Mar-09 21:19:44

Starting to worry now. It's coming on Wednesday.

SausageRoleModel Tue 03-Mar-09 13:48:55

make sure they try a variety of angles - some deliverymen are quite dense about pivoting. also if doors off hinges and its still not getting through you can get an exrtra inch by crowbarring off the door jamb/surround. it should actually be a very quick job for a builder to nail back on and touch up paint,

midnightexpress Tue 03-Mar-09 13:53:31

Ah. I once had a tiny top floor flat in a VIctorian conversion and had three sofas delivered before I got one that would fit through the door.

First was from Habitat and they took it back (butonly because iI'd oredered it in a standard fabric; had it been a custom one they wouldn't have accepted it). The one from Sofa Workshop (I think) whch also didn't fit - they took that back too and made me one with detachable arms instead, gawd bless 'em. It's all to do with your angles, not just the size of the door - mine involved a narrow doorway and a turn in the stairs at the same spot and it just wasn't happening.

When the second one was taken away I sat down (on the floor) and cried.

When the third one came, I sat on it and laughed uproariously at the Friends sofa episode, which came out at about the same. time.

Phoenix Tue 03-Mar-09 14:05:00

The front door goes straight into the living room so that is the only hurdle.

Flightattendant27 Tue 03-Mar-09 14:10:00

Slight hijack here. Does anyone know how exactly you are meant to take the arms off? I've just sold mine and am worried as it only just fitted in through the living room door, and the people coming to take it away aren't professional couriers I don't think, so scared they'll not manage it.

It's a Habitat one and the shop told me the arms do come off...just not sure how!

mogs0 Tue 03-Mar-09 15:22:56

I ordered an L-shaped one from JL. I had loads of problems with them delivering it. When they finally turned up with it it got stuck in my flat door. I had measured the gap before hand but because of the way my door and the door to another flat were positioned there wasn't room for them to turn it to go up the stairs. I was very blush and sad. It went back and I got a full refund.

I found a company that makes flat packed sofas and ordered a lovely one. I've had it 3 years and it looks as good as it did the day I got it (and was a fration of the price of the JL one!!).

Qally Wed 04-Mar-09 00:35:26

Did it fit, Phoenix? <Crosses fingers>

Phoenix Wed 04-Mar-09 09:20:33

It's coming today between 12 and 6pm.

georgiemum Wed 04-Mar-09 11:26:26

chainsaw at the ready?

Phoenix Wed 04-Mar-09 12:09:13

Yay just heard from Dh and its in, phew. Panic over nothing it took them less than 5 mins. I've took ds to soft play out of the way .

Phoenix Wed 04-Mar-09 12:09:16

Yay just heard from Dh and its in, phew. Panic over nothing it took them less than 5 mins. I've took ds to soft play out of the way .

Phoenix Wed 04-Mar-09 12:09:20

Phoenix Wed 04-Mar-09 12:09:23

Phoenix Wed 04-Mar-09 12:09:30

Phoenix Wed 04-Mar-09 12:09:33

southeastastra Wed 04-Mar-09 12:10:10

grin

Fimbo Wed 04-Mar-09 12:12:29

I guess you are very happy Phoenix! LOL grin

Phoenix Wed 04-Mar-09 12:12:34

Why does my phone post so many times? blush

Phoenix Wed 04-Mar-09 12:12:37

Phoenix Wed 04-Mar-09 12:12:41

Phoenix Wed 04-Mar-09 12:12:48

southeastastra Wed 04-Mar-09 12:17:07

dunno grin probably costing you lots of money too

Qally Thu 05-Mar-09 23:52:08

Oh fab! That's good news.

Chrisbrice Sun 03-Feb-13 09:21:54

Hi people, just had the same problem last week, I found a compony call GSH Upholstery they got mine in my house, had 4 people look and they all walked away before these.. Good and very cheep pricing! There web address is www.gshupholstery.co.uk. Hope this helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now