Desk for a 6 year old girl

(26 Posts)
stardazzle Sat 15-Nov-08 19:55:25

any ideas

DD would love a desk to write on for Christmas, she's 6 years old and most of the children's desk seem too small but the grown up ones too big.

Help, would like a desk which will suit a child, not too expensive (some i've seen are £200+!) and not too boring!

melpomene Sat 15-Nov-08 20:01:45
stardazzle Sat 15-Nov-08 20:04:39

thanks it does but sadly its not big enough, DD's knee wouldn't fit under.

Hulababy Sat 15-Nov-08 20:08:26

Any in Verbaudert or Letterbox?

The only ones we saw when looking for DD were expensive! Hence ending up with just a basic, cheap pne from Argos in the spare room, and the IKEA table in the kitchen.

Sorry, will have a think.

dramaqueen Sat 15-Nov-08 20:10:26

i have just bought this one for my 7 year old

stardazzle Sat 15-Nov-08 20:11:47

hula - vertbaudet have a lovely one but i don't think it will be tall enough, trying to picture the one in your spare room but can't!

was debating this one but get her a funky chair or add some stickers to make it a bit younger. Hoping that there would be room on the keyboard draw for the laptop to fit unfolded.

stardazzle Sat 15-Nov-08 20:12:58

DQ - is it ok height wise? as in does s/he fit under it ok?

stardazzle Sat 15-Nov-08 20:15:50

vertbaudet desk how old does the child in this photo look.

Hulababy Sat 15-Nov-08 20:16:10

I like the pink one.

TBH I personally wouldn't get an expensive one regardless. If anything like my DD (and you know her, lol) it will end up with pen and crayon marks on it, pva glue stuck to it and paint marks. Let's face it they are made to be used, and I know I'd be too precious over an expensive one, whereas ours I just don;t care. So it now looks loved, lol!

Sexonlegs Sat 15-Nov-08 20:18:16

We bought one from Argos for dd1 (51/2) It was prtty resaonable, and has 3 pink drawers of differing shades.

Hulababy Sat 15-Nov-08 20:18:17

I think Verbaudet one would be big enough but not sure how many years you'd get out of it. Also, she may well grow out of the very girly design quicker than with a slightly more plain one.

However, a basic one (like oe we have for example) wouldn't look special - hence being tucked away in corner of spare room, so not very Christmas present like IYSWIM.

dramaqueen Sat 15-Nov-08 20:21:52

The desk height is 67 cm. I haven't assembled it yet because it's for christmas (lucky boy having a desk for christmas - not sure what he is going to think!). However I am sure I sit at it and fit my legs under.

stardazzle Sat 15-Nov-08 20:22:58

You right about it getting trashed! the ikea pink one looks ok, was thinking with some Hannah montana Stickers on and a really nice chair which will won't get as badly trashed would be ok for Christmas from Father Christmas. Ikea one is also not too wide which is good as have had to rearrange the play room to see if we could fit it in!

Will now have to brave a trip to ikea and find a nice chair!

stardazzle Sat 15-Nov-08 20:23:42

thanks DQ - will show DH and see what he thinks.

popmum Sat 15-Nov-08 20:26:06

we got a desk from ikea the "GALANT desk system " - you buy separate top and the legs are height adjustable so grow with her!
they even have this childs swivel chair which is cool!

stardazzle Sat 15-Nov-08 20:28:09

found this chair think it would be comfy

Jux Sat 15-Nov-08 20:39:36

We got an old wooden school desk with lift-up-slanted top and inkwell and a hollowed out bit for pencils, from a house clearance stall in the market. It was £25. It's lovely. There are lots of house clearances and auctions etc going on, google it.

stardazzle Sat 15-Nov-08 20:49:26

thats a good idea jux - thanks

Hulababy Sun 16-Nov-08 19:49:27

This?

We are thinking of getting this in maple for DD in New Year, with the bed to match perhaps too. They also do it in pink. Very good price I think.

stardazzle Sun 16-Nov-08 21:04:30

that is nice!

Hulababy Sun 16-Nov-08 21:05:49

There are often discount codes kicking around for the website too - try moneysaving experts perhaps.

stardazzle Sun 16-Nov-08 21:11:55

will do, will have a chat to DH and see what he thinks, we're going for the argos chair i linked to above as it looks pretty and also looks like a 'proper' computer chair!

she would also like a printer too so she can print out her writing! think will suggest this to her step-grandad! now can you get pink printers!

Fizzylemonade Sun 16-Nov-08 21:16:55

We have the same as popmum Galant desk from ikea.

It height adjusts from 60cm (fine for my 5 1/2 yr old) and goes up to 90cm with adjustable legs.

It is fab, grows with them and you can add to it. Admittedly it isn't pink grin

Hulababy Sun 16-Nov-08 21:17:16
JackieNo Sun 16-Nov-08 21:23:57

We bought one from Argos for DD - an adult one, but it's not actually all that big, and she was 6 when she had it. It's this one.

ImaburningHEIFERgy Sun 16-Nov-08 22:19:35

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now