Where can I buy SILVER SAND?

(56 Posts)
FrannyandZooey Wed 25-Jul-07 20:56:37

You know, the really fine stuff. Preferably high street but internet will do.

TIA>

PestoMonster Wed 25-Jul-07 21:01:27

The garden centres usually sell it.

FrannyandZooey Wed 25-Jul-07 21:04:42

the fine stuff? I couldn't see it last time in B+Q

PestoMonster Wed 25-Jul-07 21:06:20

Yes, I'm sure I saw it last week at a Wyevale garden centre. Ring round your local ones to check, before you go.

WendyWeber Wed 25-Jul-07 21:07:24

Garden centres, defo.

Also ELC I believe but they are generally hard to park at.

FrannyandZooey Wed 25-Jul-07 21:07:24

We haven't got Wyevale.

WendyWeber Wed 25-Jul-07 21:07:57

Any old garden centre, Franny - do you have small local ones?

WendyWeber Wed 25-Jul-07 21:08:17

(It might even be labelled sandpit sand)

lionheart Wed 25-Jul-07 21:10:15

If it's just playpit sand you can get it from <whispers> Argos.

southeastastra Wed 25-Jul-07 21:11:08

or tesco

FrannyandZooey Wed 25-Jul-07 21:17:28

We've only got B+Q and homebase and that. The local ones have all gone

It isn't just sandpit sand, it is the very fine stuff, called silver sand.

FrannyandZooey Wed 25-Jul-07 21:18:02

Oh WW I see you are saying it might be labelled as sandpit sand? God how confusing.

lionheart Wed 25-Jul-07 21:22:10

Is it just used for playing?

WendyWeber Wed 25-Jul-07 21:24:51

Mmmm - not sure now - according to this they are not the same thing.

I guess you can use silver sand in a sandpit, but sandpit sand may not substitute for silver sand.

HTH

lionheart Wed 25-Jul-07 21:26:47

According to google it has a lower iron content and is also used for aquariums. Might a pet shop/fishy place have it?

FrannyandZooey Wed 25-Jul-07 21:34:13

Oh thanks all, yes perhaps lionheart

I thought it was a really common thing but can't seem to find it. The difference is very obvious when you feel it - silver sand is so much finer whereas sandpit sand is quite chunky and sticks together.

Ds likes 'drawing' with his finger in silver sand on a tray, and you can't do it with sandpit sand. I have run out and he is sad

southeastastra Wed 25-Jul-07 21:36:09

would hobbycraft sell it? how much do you need

alycat Wed 25-Jul-07 21:39:33

I was going to post and ask about sand for sandpits. My DH bough play sand from B&Q - gross stuff, really brown when damp (not much better dry) makes clothes filthy.

What is the best sand to use?

As for silver sand, I got some from garden centre to mix with grass seed for even oversewing on lawn.

Should I get silver sand for s.pit?

FrannyandZooey Wed 25-Jul-07 21:39:41

Well not loads I guess, as it is just for a tray. Is hobbycraft a shop? We don't have one

FrannyandZooey Wed 25-Jul-07 21:40:38

Silver sand is so nice alycat but costs more than sandpit sand. It sounds like you might have builder's sand I don't think you are meant to use it as it is very bad indeed if it goes in your eyes.

FrannyandZooey Wed 25-Jul-07 21:41:43

Have reread, if it says play sand I am sure it is ok. But it does sound like nasty cack sand doesn't it? I think silver sand is the way to go. It's like that very pale stuff you get on French beaches

WendyWeber Wed 25-Jul-07 21:42:05

Have you tried ringing B&Q and HOmebase to ask if they could get it in for you, even if they don't normally sell it?

If not, lionheart's fish/pet shop suggestion might be the way to go (esp for a smallish quantity)

lionheart Wed 25-Jul-07 21:44:29

ELC sells a sand scribbler, which sounds like a similar thing, only more costly. I wonder whether that means they do the replacement sand.

alycat Wed 25-Jul-07 21:52:54

Thanks F&Z, I really dislike sand anyway and make my DS get undressed outside the backdoor before he comes in I think I'll splash out and get some silver - save on washing!

It is play sand, also says it's good for putting down on floor of play areas to absorb impact.

Have you tried value bags of salt for writing on the tray - get mine from lidl DS loves that although not as soft as silver sand.

Are you a freecycler, perhaps someone has half a bag in their green house (like I do) from seeding their lawn.

southeastastra Wed 25-Jul-07 21:54:47

hobbycraft is a great big tesco for craft things.

it's quite elusive to find online i can only find sandlady who sells by the bulk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now