Where can I buy SILVER SAND?

(56 Posts)
FrannyandZooey Wed 25-Jul-07 20:56:37

You know, the really fine stuff. Preferably high street but internet will do.

TIA>

PestoMonster Wed 25-Jul-07 21:01:27

The garden centres usually sell it.

FrannyandZooey Wed 25-Jul-07 21:04:42

the fine stuff? I couldn't see it last time in B+Q

PestoMonster Wed 25-Jul-07 21:06:20

Yes, I'm sure I saw it last week at a Wyevale garden centre. Ring round your local ones to check, before you go.

WendyWeber Wed 25-Jul-07 21:07:24

Garden centres, defo.

Also ELC I believe but they are generally hard to park at.

FrannyandZooey Wed 25-Jul-07 21:07:24

We haven't got Wyevale.

WendyWeber Wed 25-Jul-07 21:07:57

Any old garden centre, Franny - do you have small local ones?

WendyWeber Wed 25-Jul-07 21:08:17

(It might even be labelled sandpit sand)

lionheart Wed 25-Jul-07 21:10:15

If it's just playpit sand you can get it from <whispers> Argos.

southeastastra Wed 25-Jul-07 21:11:08

or tesco

FrannyandZooey Wed 25-Jul-07 21:17:28

We've only got B+Q and homebase and that. The local ones have all gone

It isn't just sandpit sand, it is the very fine stuff, called silver sand.

FrannyandZooey Wed 25-Jul-07 21:18:02

Oh WW I see you are saying it might be labelled as sandpit sand? God how confusing.

lionheart Wed 25-Jul-07 21:22:10

Is it just used for playing?

WendyWeber Wed 25-Jul-07 21:24:51

Mmmm - not sure now - according to this they are not the same thing.

I guess you can use silver sand in a sandpit, but sandpit sand may not substitute for silver sand.

HTH

lionheart Wed 25-Jul-07 21:26:47

According to google it has a lower iron content and is also used for aquariums. Might a pet shop/fishy place have it?

FrannyandZooey Wed 25-Jul-07 21:34:13

Oh thanks all, yes perhaps lionheart

I thought it was a really common thing but can't seem to find it. The difference is very obvious when you feel it - silver sand is so much finer whereas sandpit sand is quite chunky and sticks together.

Ds likes 'drawing' with his finger in silver sand on a tray, and you can't do it with sandpit sand. I have run out and he is sad

southeastastra Wed 25-Jul-07 21:36:09

would hobbycraft sell it? how much do you need

alycat Wed 25-Jul-07 21:39:33

I was going to post and ask about sand for sandpits. My DH bough play sand from B&Q - gross stuff, really brown when damp (not much better dry) makes clothes filthy.

What is the best sand to use?

As for silver sand, I got some from garden centre to mix with grass seed for even oversewing on lawn.

Should I get silver sand for s.pit?

FrannyandZooey Wed 25-Jul-07 21:39:41

Well not loads I guess, as it is just for a tray. Is hobbycraft a shop? We don't have one

FrannyandZooey Wed 25-Jul-07 21:40:38

Silver sand is so nice alycat but costs more than sandpit sand. It sounds like you might have builder's sand I don't think you are meant to use it as it is very bad indeed if it goes in your eyes.

FrannyandZooey Wed 25-Jul-07 21:41:43

Have reread, if it says play sand I am sure it is ok. But it does sound like nasty cack sand doesn't it? I think silver sand is the way to go. It's like that very pale stuff you get on French beaches

WendyWeber Wed 25-Jul-07 21:42:05

Have you tried ringing B&Q and HOmebase to ask if they could get it in for you, even if they don't normally sell it?

If not, lionheart's fish/pet shop suggestion might be the way to go (esp for a smallish quantity)

lionheart Wed 25-Jul-07 21:44:29

ELC sells a sand scribbler, which sounds like a similar thing, only more costly. I wonder whether that means they do the replacement sand.

alycat Wed 25-Jul-07 21:52:54

Thanks F&Z, I really dislike sand anyway and make my DS get undressed outside the backdoor before he comes in I think I'll splash out and get some silver - save on washing!

It is play sand, also says it's good for putting down on floor of play areas to absorb impact.

Have you tried value bags of salt for writing on the tray - get mine from lidl DS loves that although not as soft as silver sand.

Are you a freecycler, perhaps someone has half a bag in their green house (like I do) from seeding their lawn.

southeastastra Wed 25-Jul-07 21:54:47

hobbycraft is a great big tesco for craft things.

it's quite elusive to find online i can only find sandlady who sells by the bulk

FrannyandZooey Wed 25-Jul-07 21:55:59

You're all fab

I will follow all these up

thank you

Gingerbear Wed 25-Jul-07 21:57:02

Pets at home sell it in small bags (1kg??)
Look in the aquatics section.

FrannyandZooey Wed 25-Jul-07 22:01:56

Oh thank you, we do have one of those nearby.

Have just posted on freecycle also.

outinthesticksmummy Wed 25-Jul-07 22:12:47

Hi

I work in a pet shop, we sell it in 25kg bags or 3kg bags for chinchillas. Any pet shop should do it

hthx

JARM Wed 25-Jul-07 22:16:24

Have you tried seapets, pets at home, or if you want to travel, Bypass Nurseries at Capel

FrannyandZooey Wed 25-Jul-07 22:24:09

Oh thanks again, hoorah for MN

thanks JARM I think I will try pets at home first

outinthesticks what do the chinchillas do with it?

JARM Wed 25-Jul-07 22:25:20

F&Z - my hamster rolls in the stuff!!!

FrannyandZooey Wed 25-Jul-07 22:25:46

Really? What you put it in his cage?

JARM Wed 25-Jul-07 22:28:52

in a shallow dish in his cage, loves it. we change it once a week. we only have a little left ourselves otherwise i would have passed osme on through freecycle

FrannyandZooey Wed 25-Jul-07 22:31:00

No problem. If no-one replies through FC I will go to Pets at Home.

FrannyandZooey Thu 26-Jul-07 13:05:24

Who could have dreamed that silver sand could go so horribly wrong?

Freecycle came up trumps and even better the people live just round the corner! I rang them and the woman said her dh was just going out anyway and would drop it round. She then attempted to get directions from me (I am shit at directions in the first place and didn't know where their road was anyway - the streets on our estate are all on a "theme" IYKWIM which means I get them all horribly muddled up) and when she realised I was clueless said "Ah never mind, we will find you."

Anyway the chap turned up after 15 mins dumped the sand at the front door and was stomping off up the street when I got to the door (I was all smiles ready to thank him profusely). He barked "I have just gone all the way up to X road thanks to your directions! Why couldn't you say where you were properly? I'm NOT HAPPY!" and stomped some more.

I ran after him bare foot saying "oh please don't go off all upset, thank you so much" etc etc but he was Grumpy mc Grumper. I went back home and burst into tears

Of course now I have got over it a bit I actually feel ruddy cross with him. I never asked him to bring it round, I gave him my address correctly, and did he honestly think I had given his wife incorrect directions on purpose?

AND - the coup de grace - the sand is all manky and has loads of big rough bits in it. Is the sort you get from pet shops like that? I want the very fine, super smooth pale sort. Ruddy &**%^ing sand

gscrym Thu 26-Jul-07 13:07:44

If you go to a builders merchant and ask them, it'll be way cheaper than gettingit from a toy supplier. DH gets it from his work for DS's sandpit. It has to be the silver sand as all others stain clothes.

WendyWeber Thu 26-Jul-07 13:08:52

Oh, poor you, Franny

Miserable git.

Could you sieve it and spread out the finer stuff and let it dry? Then it might be OK.

FrannyandZooey Thu 26-Jul-07 13:09:16

Is it very very fine and beautiful like the sand on French beaches? With no gritty bits of stuff in?

FrannyandZooey Thu 26-Jul-07 13:09:46

Yes perhaps WW

I am of a mind to stick the arsing stuff in the BIN though

better still F&Z go to the carribean with an empty bag scoop a load up and spend a little while relaxing in the sun

FrannyandZooey Thu 26-Jul-07 13:12:03

yes top idea

well except for the fact that I am the only person in Britain who actually LIKES this cool weather

WendyWeber Thu 26-Jul-07 13:13:11

Oh good plan, pa

We actually brought bags of French beach sand back from holiday a couple of times to put in the sandpit because it is so lovely so I know exactly what you mean, Franny!

southeastastra Thu 26-Jul-07 13:13:45

oh dear, though it's easy to look up directions if they have a pc. pet shops or craft shops would probably be the best option.

oliveoil Thu 26-Jul-07 13:16:14

play sand from argos

it is the finest sand ever imo

bit 'damp' when it first comes out of the bag but ours dried in the sun (way back in May ) and it is lovely and soft

my girls sprinkle it around

FrannyandZooey Thu 26-Jul-07 13:17:13

Dp just emailed to say the man should be sentenced to having sat nav with a mean grumpy voice

I will try pet shop later in the week, I think

ds has nasty grumper's sand in the sandpit at present, it is ok for that

FrannyandZooey Thu 26-Jul-07 13:17:46

REALLY olive? Oh fab.

southeastastra Thu 26-Jul-07 13:18:06
WendyWeber Thu 26-Jul-07 13:19:16

Ooooh, sea - those look fab. Great for finger patterns (I wonder if it all goes brown when mixed up though?)

oliveoil Thu 26-Jul-07 13:19:18

obviously I am on a MN break as you can clearly see but I peeked on to look at another thread and saw this

mine love the sand and if you don't then it is only a couple of ££

<<leaves again with her willpower in tatters>>

FrannyandZooey Thu 26-Jul-07 13:19:59

ooooooh coloured sand v nice

may have to splash out. It would look excellent on pictures wouldn't it?

FrannyandZooey Thu 26-Jul-07 13:20:59

OO I didn't know you were on a break

how VERY KIND of you to post and help me

I think you will agree there was a moral imperative to do so and you really had no choice

oliveoil Thu 26-Jul-07 13:21:52

indeed

<<hides>>

southeastastra Thu 26-Jul-07 13:22:08

you can get it with glitter too. may get some myself

FrannyandZooey Thu 26-Jul-07 13:32:00

pricey though, esp when you add in postage

<hope you come back soon olive. was it anything in particular or just general malaise?>

aversfbln Fri 08-Mar-13 18:33:38

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now