Argh, baby stairgate - pressure fit on a not-flat banister?

(6 Posts)
Starspread Mon 12-Sep-16 18:33:23

We can't use the wall-mounted ones as we're renting, but our stairs are a) wider than a standard door and b) have a curved banister (with flat bit right at the top).

Is there any such thing as an extra-wide pressure-fit gate that can work with a rounded banister?? Or are we out of luck?

kansasmum Mon 12-Sep-16 18:39:11

I have a baby Dan gate on our wider than average stairs with an extension set on one side. We have also wedged a rectangular piece of wood between pressure fitting and banister and the gate is very solid. My 15mth old grandson regularly tries to climb up it and it hasn't collapsed yet!!
Hope that helps.
Btw have you tried asking your landlord? If you promise to remove fittings and make good the ( small) holes I would have thought that would be ok.

ReallyExhaustedLlama Mon 12-Sep-16 18:41:13

You can get an adaptator which is a sort of y shape that fits on a rounded bannister. It screws in to replace the usual 'arm' of the gate.

ReallyExhaustedLlama Mon 12-Sep-16 18:46:11

www.kiddicare.com/p/BabyDan_Y_Spindel_Pack_of_2.htm?product_id=741143&utm_source=pla&affiliate=KC-google-shopping&gclid=Cj0KEQjwpNm-BRCJ3rDNmOuKi9IBEiQAlzDJHz-5WsPvfTggNNJGO__GBU2TH4HnYI6o-hqIhj2MyUYaAmnC8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Starspread Mon 12-Sep-16 19:28:19

Ah that's great, thank you; the Y shaped ones wouldn't work for us, but that set me googling gate banister adapters and I found this which looks like it should do the trick (definitely overpriced but it's not like I'm going to make one myself, realistically):

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00CXO9Q92/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

ReallyExhaustedLlama Mon 12-Sep-16 19:44:03

Oh good - glad you found something!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now