Balance bikes - are they worth it?

(3 Posts)
babyblabber Wed 24-Aug-16 14:58:34

So we bought a crap balance bike for DD1 last year. It was flimsy and plastic amd too small and she never really used it. DS is 6 and still very nervous on his bike, with stabilisers so I'd love the whole process to be easier with the rest of them.

Thinking of getting a strider balance bike but they're not cheap. DD1 could use it now and then DD2 later and we are expecting DC4 so I'm thinking I can justify the cost. But DH will kill me if I buy another bike that barely gets used. Does anyone have them and would you recommend them? My kids are all crap on scooters, quite nervous I would say so bit worried it'd be the same.

Also DD1 is 4 but tall for her age. Would she be too big for them?

Mol1628 Wed 24-Aug-16 15:03:59

My son loves his strider. They are absolutely worth the money.

If you go for the higher model which I think is about £15-£20 more than the basic one you get a taller seat post.

Although you could get a nice lightweight bike like an Islabike and take the pedals off at first, then add them later once they have learnt to balance. The bike will last a lot longer that way.

reallyanotherone Wed 24-Aug-16 15:04:00

Yes. Totally worth it.

You'll save money long term as they'll go straight from the balance bike to a decent 14" or even 16", and you'll skip the crappy 12" with stabilisers phase.

I think ours was £70, and is still in good resale nick after 3 kids, so £20 per child? Oldest was 4 when we got it so i did dither, but definately worth it, and as i said it meant she skipped straight to the bigger bike.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now