How to remove security tags

(13 Posts)
Sonotkylie Tue 31-May-16 11:56:19

Ordered a bag online from Zara and realised today when I used it for the first time that there a store security tag on it (rather randomly).
Zara are about 40 minutes drive away and then a hike through a large shopping area so its a half day round trip and not one I was planning.
Customer services are offering to collect on Friday (when I am away) and replace but that will take 10 days or so once it goes back and gets posted out.
Does anyone know a way of taking them off? And how can I tell whether it has ink in it? Its not something I have studied before ....
Thank you if you can save me a lot of petrol and hassle

NeedACleverNN Tue 31-May-16 11:59:37

I wouldn't risk it tbh

Ink ones tend to have three coloured dots in the front of their tag (I think)

Nannawifeofbaldr Tue 31-May-16 12:02:43

Well this isn't a suspicious post at all... grin I'm sure you are incredibly honest OP but it really doesn't look great.

Take it to the store, you'll damage the bag otherwise.

Sonotkylie Tue 31-May-16 12:24:22

I know - I am 52 years old and a lawyer - and that now sounds even worse ...
I just wondered whether it was possible, otherwise I am going to have to go down the returns route. The trip is one I hoped to avoid by ordering online!

P1nkP0ppy Tue 31-May-16 12:27:39

If they can collect it then surely they can do a swop at the same time?
It's their error so I would be asking for compensation if I had to spend half a day returning it!

Doje Tue 31-May-16 12:29:41

It's annoying isn't it OP!! Got a £5.99 pair of shorts from H&M for DS1. They were for that hot spell! There might not be another one. Plus the closest H&M is half an hour away, it's hardly worth the petrol and it's THEIR flippin' fault for leaving the tag on!

Sonotkylie Tue 31-May-16 12:31:15

I have replied to customer services asking them to be more accommodating, but it is Zara we are talking about so I am not overly hopeful (actually even of getting a reply), hence query about 'self help'. To be thwarted by a small piece of metal ...

HixieRice Tue 31-May-16 12:36:25

Same happened to me with a bag bought on holiday (honest guv). I forced it off with scissors, but it only cost £30 and was canvas... (It was fine though)

KP86 Tue 31-May-16 12:37:25

If you take it along with your receipt to any shop that has those kind of tags they might help you and take it off if you explain.

rosyvalentine Tue 31-May-16 12:40:39

As far as I know, the Zara ones are filled with ink. sad A friend of mine works there. I wouldn't risk it.

WalkerBait Tue 31-May-16 12:56:37

I was going to say the same as KP. If you have the receipt/invoice then another shop will remove it.

Sonotkylie Tue 31-May-16 16:49:17

Thanks to everyone. I think I am going to post it back for them to deal with. We are really very rural here and I can't currently think of anywhere I am going in the next couple of weeks that might use the tags (and internet research tells me the are lots of different types).
It was worth checking with Mumsnet that no one said, 'oh, yes, you do it like this ...' (And my name is Mrs Lightfingers). Thank you all.
And no, Zara never replied to my suggestion that they could find a better alternative to a courier collection at their convenience and then waiting for an exchange, or preferably me spending a morning driving to and from their shop. But then they don't need to worry about customer satisfaction do they ...

Julju Wed 15-Jun-16 14:59:07

I don't think anyone's suggested, but could you not return the one you have for a refund (you have at least 14 days from receipt then whatever Zara's returns policy is on top of that) and in the meantime rebuy the bag. You'll be out of pocket until the refund comes through but if you can get Zara to refund the P&P on the 2nd bag you'll level out in the end

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now