Do I need a 'nappy bin' for my newborns?

(27 Posts)
possum18 Mon 21-Mar-16 15:12:44

Heard a few mixed reviews.
34 weeks pregnant with twins, and trying to get last few bits sorted.
Thinking about buying a nappy bin to keep upstairs so I don't have to keep going downstairs to our outside bin, but not sure if just an expensive waste of time.

Any thoughts, experience or recommendations?

TIA grinx

iamtotallyserious Mon 21-Mar-16 15:14:08

With twins probably worth it. I had one but basically emptied it at the end of every day or other day.

justabigdisco Mon 21-Mar-16 15:14:39

I never saw the need. Just have a small bin upstairs and empty every day or two or every few days if you're lazy like me

BumWad Mon 21-Mar-16 15:15:25

Not a waste of time or money imo. We have a fairly big house and it has been really useful with one DS

lilone1234 Mon 21-Mar-16 15:16:00

I would...when I first had DD I lived in a flat so just used the one bin for everything but now with an upstairs it was one of the first things I got when we moved. Will fill up quick with twins though! Good luck on your impending arrivals! flowers

winchester1 Mon 21-Mar-16 15:16:19

We have a bucket and line it with bags (we don't use individual nappy sacks). We empty it most days.
We've two toddlers in nappies.

MrRochestersDog Mon 21-Mar-16 15:16:19

We tried to manage with nappy sacks in an internal bin, but we could still smell them. So bought a Sangenic nappy bin and have been really pleased with it. Easy to use, no smell and easy to empty. Only downside is the refill cassettes are quite expensive.

possum18 Mon 21-Mar-16 15:16:59

Thank you for opinions! Probably shouldn't have phrased is as 'do I need', I'm just looking for little things that might make my day easier smile

DancingDinosaur Mon 21-Mar-16 15:18:15

I had one. It stank. It was worth the walk to the outside bin.

SharingMichelle Mon 21-Mar-16 15:18:43

You don't need a special 'Nappy Bin' - you can get all sorts of automated, smell reducing nonsense. But any old bin near wherever you change the babies is handy.

PragmaticWench Mon 21-Mar-16 15:18:49

I had a small bin upstairs for wet nappies and emptied it every day, but always took smelly nappies straight downstairs to the outside bin. I don't use nappy sacks at home.

My sister had a special nappy bin that wrapped each nappy in plastic as you push it into the bin. To be honest it just stank of baby poo all through the upstairs of her house.

AlpacaLypse Mon 21-Mar-16 15:18:52

I had twins, I found a standard plastic kitchen bin upstairs was very helpful for the nappy onslaught phase - up to sixteen a day at one point!

CurlsLDN Mon 21-Mar-16 15:20:05

I definitely think the sangenic bins make life a little easier, every day, multiple times a day (and night!) so if you have the option of getting one and you are tempted, do.
I didn't want to traipse out to the outside bin every time I changed my baby (and then juggle the bin and baby!) and I didn't want to smell his stinky nappies between bin changes.
He's two now and we still use it constantly. Value for money IMHO

whatevva Mon 21-Mar-16 15:23:16

I had twins and a toddler so loads of nappies.

We had a bin for DS1, but as people above said, they smell.

So we just put them in a bag in the kitchen bin and emptied that once or twice a day. DH a very efficient bin emptier.

(sorry TMI - emptied toddler's nappy into the loo and flushed it to avoid smells. Doable if you catch them straight away)

LBOCS2 Mon 21-Mar-16 15:39:50

We used nappy sacs, wet nappies went in a bag in a normal bin to be emptied every 24-48hrs, dirty nappies went straight into the wheelie bin (actually, they went in the front porch area and when DH got home he would transfer them into the bin!).

I think with twins the cassettes for the nappy bin will get expensive very quickly. And as someone once described it, it just leaves you with a fragranced poo-sausage of nappies which needs emptying out...

possum18 Mon 21-Mar-16 16:08:58

Hmm some mixed opinions then. I think if we go for one it'll be the Sangenic thing.
Might hold off until they are here and see how we go, I suppose that's the good thing about online shopping, if I get desperate I can order and have one here next day!

Thanks again.

Figgygal Mon 21-Mar-16 16:11:44

We had one it was great at keeping smells in poo nappies went straight outside only wee nappies were put in it

TitusAndromedon Mon 21-Mar-16 16:17:16

I have twins and a three storey townhouse. We have changing stations in the babies' room on the top floor and in the living room on the middle floor. We have the Sangenic bins in both rooms and I find them pretty effective at holding in the smell. I certainly would not be without them. I would struggle to go downstairs to the bin at the end of the garden every time one of them has a poo. Some days are fine; other days they each go multiple times.

DaphneWhitethigh Mon 21-Mar-16 16:19:00

We just put pooey nappies straight in the wheely bin and left wet nappies (in a sack) in the nursery bin and emptied it whenever we felt the need. That doesn't work for middle of the night poos, but IME newborn poo, especially if BF, doesn't smell bad, and by the time they've got to the bad smell age they've stopped doing nightime bowel movements.

NotCitrus Mon 21-Mar-16 16:27:06

I just got lidded buckets from the plastic tat shop. Mainly used washables but they contained the smell fine. Disposables were put in a nappy sack and flung onto the landing, to be disposed of in due course. I always found those machines that made nappy sausages smelt...

Jw35 Mon 21-Mar-16 16:27:59

I changed the baby downstairs, only time I changed upstairs was before bath and occasional middle of the night when she was tiny. Wet nappies went in kitchen bin and dirty in a bag and straight in outside bin. I would take the nappies down once baby in bed or whatever.

Mammabear31 Mon 21-Mar-16 16:30:22

We never used bins. We simply put the nappy in a nappy bag and throw out the landing window, where it lands neatly next to the wheelie bin ready to be put in when we go out!

DaphneWhitethigh Mon 21-Mar-16 16:32:37

A mate of mine had a Sangenic and was happy with it until a childfree friend visited and said "err, I have to tell you, your nursery smells of shit".

PennyHasNoSurname Mon 21-Mar-16 16:33:46

We never had one but I found that daytine bums got changed dowstairs on the floor (no way was I traipsing up to a change table X times a day) so nappies were bagged and chucked at the back door and id take them out when I had a sec.

Night nappies were generally only pooey in the first few weeks and on those nights after a bum change and a feed Id need a wee so Id just do the same and chuck it at the back door after they went back down. After a few weeks they were wees only at night so theyd get bagged and into a little basket bin in the bedroom and emptied in the morning.

Tfoot75 Mon 21-Mar-16 16:43:08

We had one, tried to use the Amazon own brand cassettes after a while and found they did not stop the smell really and it's very expensive to keep using the official ones so we stopped using it. Not bothering second time round. As pp said, BF baby poo doesn't have a strong smell and by the time you start weaning they will no longer poo during the night usually, so it is much easier to just take them outside in nappy bags after changing downstairs during the day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now