Has Jo Malone hit middle class PEAK and what else has?

(23 Posts)
foodiefil Tue 08-Mar-16 18:47:10

So Jo Malone have a new fragrance out ...

Carrot Blossom and Fennel.

What the hell is carrot blossom?!

Any other examples of middle class maaaaadness? LOVE to hear them.

YoungGirlGrowingOld Tue 08-Mar-16 18:50:33

And why the bloody hell would anyone want to smell of fennel?!

I think Joules hit middle class peak some time ago. Now they could sell binbags with a "fabulously british" logo and stupid people would still buy them including me if it was their naice tweed

NathalieM Fri 08-Apr-16 12:22:34

A juice bar near me does Activated Charcoal Water (???) which always makes me laugh. Not quite the same, but I thought I'd mention it for giggles.

mouldycheesefan Fri 08-Apr-16 12:26:24

Yes the new Malone herb garden collection is marketed to the elderly having captured the middle age market she is now going for the grey pound, good thinking.
I actually like jo Malone as a person she is down to earth and funny. But I am not a fan of her scents.

Laura Ashley is a middle class brand that I am surprised survives.

PulledMuscleOuch Sat 07-May-16 08:38:09

Jo malone sold out to Estee Lauder yonks ago!

She has since started up a new company - can't remember what the range is called quire now. Off to Google so I can update.

As an aside I would say Tiffany have sold out to the lower ranks with their silver jewellery. Good move.

PulledMuscleOuch Sat 07-May-16 08:39:13

Jo Loves dot com

^
Jo Malones new range.

Hthsmile

Nanasueathome Sat 07-May-16 08:43:34

Jo Malone has her own shop and fragrance range in London
Jo Loves

FrankUnderwoodsWife Sat 07-May-16 08:47:44

I would no longer buy Jo Malone. I used to give it years ago, as a gift, if I was attending a dinner party.

Now I give Jo Loves.
I'm fortunate to live within walking distance to her shop. The scents are amazing, and the candles burn evenly and give off the most beautiful aromas. (Poncy alert)

FrankUnderwoodsWife Sat 07-May-16 08:50:59

In answer to the OP, and what products/businesses have hit middle class peak:

the white company
Ralph Lauren (as people only buy from the outlets)
Michael Kors handbags
RayBan sunglasses
Mini Coopers

LyndaNotLinda Sat 07-May-16 08:52:38

I think you have misunderstood the point of this thread Frank. You hit peak MC aaages ago

nb it's within walking distance OF her shop, not to

tilder Sat 07-May-16 08:54:52

That's hilarious. Carrot blossom. Am pretty sure carrots have tiny, inconspicuous white flowers. The smell comes from the leaves and attracts carrot fly.

Please tell me that grey everything has reached its peak.

YounicorneNumbers Sat 07-May-16 08:55:31

<chair scrape>

hiddengems Sat 07-May-16 08:57:28

Orla Kiely has run so fast through peak middle class she's burst out the other side.

I love her prints but she now sells cycle helmets in Halfords

(I mean branded ones - she hasn't gone and got a Saturday job).

NoTractorsAtTheTable Sat 07-May-16 08:58:12

blush

I'm wearing clover and nasturtium version right now - smells like cut grass and spring, I'm quite smitten obviously an old gimmer at 34 grin

FrankUnderwoodsWife Sat 07-May-16 09:00:34

Lynda thanks for pointing out my horrid grammar. grin I'm working class dun good

Lilaclily Sat 07-May-16 09:13:01

Everyone I know hates Cath kidston now !

theredjellybean Sat 07-May-16 09:15:08

cath kidston

LunaLoveg00d Sat 07-May-16 09:15:28

Oh dear. I have Cath Kidston bedding, an Orla Kiely sport relief apron and a Jo Malone candle. I really am quite passe.

OTheHugeManatee Sat 07-May-16 09:18:38

Paleo.

OTheHugeManatee Sat 07-May-16 09:36:28

In fact special snowflake eating regimes generally.

tilder Sat 07-May-16 10:38:17

grin at Orla Kiely working in Halfords.

Although the prospect of smelling like cut grass and spring is quite appealing blush

I get lots of catalogues from very expensive companies selling 'garden products' at vastly inflated prices. In very tasteful shades of greige.

Why would I want to spend £15 on a jam jar to hang in a tree to put a tealight in? I have lots of jam jars in the recycling. Plus the tin can thing for flowers. Why would I want to buy one when I could use an empty bean can? Or alternatively I could use something attractive to put my flowers in.

BeautifulMaudOHara Sat 07-May-16 10:47:16

Mulberry
Diptique

thecatfromjapan Sat 07-May-16 11:16:43

Carrot isn't that weird as a perfume note. Iris is very carrot-y and often lends a sophisticated or powder-y edge to perfumes.

Fennel would probably give an earthy, herby, even citrusy edge.

I wasn't knocked out by the herb garden collection. It was a bit too unpolished. I loved the Gardens series. But I do think it was an interesting collection from a mainstream perfume house.

I thought the timing was a bit weird: the scents struck me as summery - with notes that will come alive and zing in warmer temperatures. Unfortunately, it was launched while temperatures were still low and skies quite leaden. Most of the scents seem to have sold out now and the sun's only just begun to shine.

Peak middle-class? I think it went past that a while ago.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now