Hot X baby - air conditioners & air coolers

(8 Posts)
Kittypickle Wed 19-May-04 14:32:49

DS (8m) is all hot and grumpy having woken up from his sleep in his bedroom which is 25 degrees, 4 degrees hotter than downstairs. His room gets baking and I think we really do need to get something to cool it down.Can anyone give me any advice on those air cooler things (you put cold water of ice in or something like that) and also portable air conditioning units ? How noisy are they when they are on and do those air cooler things actually work or should we get an air conditioner ? TIA

misdee Wed 19-May-04 16:32:29

dd's bedrooms get really hot too as they get sun all day. i tend to keep their curtains/blinds down as it keeps it a bit cooler in there. wish i could afford air condiotioning lol.

twogorgeousboys Wed 19-May-04 16:38:25

My dh bought a portable air conditioning unit about 5years ago. It was rubbish - took it back and bought couple of good, quiet fans - much better.

Kittypickle Wed 19-May-04 16:51:07

Thanks for that. I had a horrible feeling someone would say they don't work. I'd better go fan shopping. The house is a chalet style one, so all the bedrooms are basically in the loft with no insulation and always get cold in the winter and hot in the summer. DS's room has the sun blasting through the window all day, right where the window opening is which doesn't help. I do keep the curtains shut but it doesn't seem to help either.

Piffleoffagus Wed 19-May-04 16:59:13

we keep blinds drawn wondows open and a fan on all day to circ the air, cheaper than air con or portable cooler, dd even will sleep with fna on too, godsend last year and last few days!

jolou1 Wed 19-May-04 17:06:33

We're in the same boat, attic bedrooms and windows which are painted shut because they're at floor level. I'm worried my two DSs would find a way of getting their fingers trapped in fans (unless they were wall mounted I suppose.....) There must be an alternative out there?!

misdee Wed 19-May-04 17:08:45

we also have a fan in dd2 bedroom (very sweaty child). its up high, on a bookcase, wire is tucked away so swhe cant get it, and it keeps things cooler in there. we need to buy another 2 fans this yr.

JennyAston Fri 12-Apr-13 17:18:26

portable air conditioners have clearly moved on since the earlier posts. We have got a koolbreeze model Climateasy 14 that is quiet enough that the baby slept through last summer without any problems. they are a bit more expensive than some models but good value.
We bought it at www.climateking.co.uk/epages/climatekingcouk.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/climatekingcouk/Products/P14HCP

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now